Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 27 Feb 2012 (Monday) 12:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Audio question

jjmucker
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 27, 2012 12:08 |  #1

hi guys. I have a quick question im haoping you guys with audio knowledge can answer.

I do alot of video work ( mostly interviews that involve 1 or 2 folk ) so the audio is pretty stright forward, i generally use my little H1 zoom and place it on the table. and sync the audio later in post.

Now, next week im filming a play ( school kids )
around 15 kids. What im hoping to do is use my H1 zoom, hopefully split the audio with a splitter and have 2 mics on each side of the stage. do you think this is the best way and is there pro's / con's to this method?

Thanks

5D3 x 2,5DII,30D,15,24,50,85​,100,24-70,70-200.

Glasgow Wedding - Portrait Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 27, 2012 12:11 |  #2

that would be OK, hopefully you can get in during a rehearsal where there's no crowd to contend with

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

jjmucker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 27, 2012 12:14 |  #3

does a splitter like this exist then. so basically i'd have 2 seperate channels, and just convert them to mono in post.
I thought about placing the H1 zoom in the centre and record straight from the H1 but i dont think this would be any good? you also get ALOT of vibration off the H1 so i need to try and souce a shock mount in the UK, i cant see any though

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 27, 2012 15:49 |  #4

So youd use some consumer mics that has its own power supply and a 3.5mm connector like the Rode VideoMic Pro into a cable adapter like this: LINK (external link)which will take two mono 3.5mm ins together into a stereo 3.5mm out.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

jjmucker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 27, 2012 18:15 |  #5

Thanks pal. I will either pick that cable up, along with another rode mic ( already have one ) or buy an omni-directional mic and place it in the centre.

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 28, 2012 15:41 |  #6

And you might need some 3.5 extension cables too to get those mics further apart.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 28, 2012 18:59 |  #7

I think the stereo separation will be much too great with the mics either side of the stage. If the main character is in the middle you could find both mics fail to pick him up satisfactorily.

A Zoom H1 should be relatively easy to shock mount as the body is quite slim. It should work with a conventional shot gun rubber band mount. Failing that the Rycote mounting is available from many sources in the UK.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 29, 2012 00:02 |  #8

^^^ Sorry, only mean to suggest separating the mics IF NEEDED to pickup the entire source, say like a band or orchestra. 15 kids might need a bit of separation to capture evenly. OP did say he/she was going to mix the two channels into a mono track in post too, so there wouldnt be any real stereo separation.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 02, 2012 12:53 |  #9

Perhaps rent some boundary mics? Though from experience school kids are not necessarily very loud and you might find levels to be lacking. Also depending on how the stage is constructed you may need to isolate them from the surface so they don't pick up too much foot noise.

http://www.soundinstit​ute.com/article_detail​.cfm/ID/81 (external link)

Joel

jjmucker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 03, 2012 17:43 |  #10

Thanks guys. The stage wasnt as big as i expected so all i did was place my rode mic on the centre ( static ) cam ( Gh2. )

I then used my 2 5d Mark II's for different angles and some glide shots etc.
Im pretty happy with the sound.

Out of interest. What do you guys recommend for a sound recorder. I currently have the H1 zoom but want something a little better

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 05, 2012 11:40 |  #11

jjmucker wrote in post #14016534 (external link)
Thanks guys. The stage wasnt as big as i expected so all i did was place my rode mic on the centre ( static ) cam ( Gh2. )

I then used my 2 5d Mark II's for different angles and some glide shots etc.
Im pretty happy with the sound.

Out of interest. What do you guys recommend for a sound recorder. I currently have the H1 zoom but want something a little better

Get away from Zoom IMO. I highly recommend the Marantz PMD661. If you want the top of the line, buy anything Sound Devices.

jjmucker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 05, 2012 20:13 |  #12

Thanks man i'll check them out.

sponsored links

2,614 views & 0 likes for this thread
Audio question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.