Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 02 Mar 2012 (Friday) 00:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Call it what it is - a 5D Mark 2.5

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 06, 2012 01:45 |  #196

stayhumble wrote in post #14032026 (external link)
have you ever done commercial work and what was the largest size print you've ever produced?

Does it matter? You are basically saying: I don't care what you are interested in - it's only what I am interested in that matters...

And you have spent most of this thread projecting that message. Maybe, just maybe Canon decided to ignore you this round. So you have to pick up the phone and call them and ask why they decided to not call you and get the Shadowblade Single Truth Of The World(tm) requirements correctly signed off before they started to manufacture the camera.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links
foxesamu
507 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 06, 2012 01:54 |  #197

Shadowblade wrote in post #14025688 (external link)
A camera which doesn't improve significantly on IQ and resolution, when that was the main focus of its 'predecessor', isn't a true successor. At most, it's an update, being essentially what the previous model should have been.

Same is true of the D800. It's not a real D700 successor.

Not necessarily a bad thing on either side. Now Canon finally has a semi-affordable full-frame sports camera that can do landscape and Nikon has a semi-affordable landscape/studio camera that can do sports. (If I can get by with 5fps, I can get by with 4fps.) Both were huge gaps before. But I think both companies overcompensated for the complaints.

The 5D3 definitely infringes on the 1DX's territory, let alone the 1D4's, so I don't quite get the 5D3 from a business standpoint. D800 is entirely different from the D4 and they are probably going to be quite complementary when used side-by-side.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2012 02:54 |  #198

chardog wrote in post #14032588 (external link)
with all this MPX talk, I think you might be better off with a hasselblad/medium format.

I dont think I've seen anyone so focused on MPx as you.

I have a very strong tendency to kill camera bodies - even 5D2s, whose construction isn't exactly poor.

If there was a well-constructed MF system which could take some serious abuse and had adequate UWA options (I mean, equal angle of view as 14mm on full frame) I'd be shooting that now. But the digital back/field camera systems are flimsy, while Hasselblad and Mamiya bodies don't have any compatible UWAs, particularly those with movements.

At the moment, I get by with stitching 5D2 shots, getting anything from 28MP to 42MP, depending on the aspect ratio I'm shooting. Roughly P45+ quality, but only possible when there are no moving elements I don't want to blur.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2012 03:08 |  #199

pwm2 wrote in post #14033543 (external link)
But 10 MP -> 20 MP is a bigger step than 20 MP -> 40 MP.

12MP to 21MP is 75%. 21MP to 36MP is also 75%.

The higher you get in MP, the less you actually gain because of lenses, diffraction etc. Why can't you just step back and wait for real photos instead of running around madly chasing your own tail based mostly on digits in specification sheets?

I never find myself running anywhere near hard diffraction limits, and only rarely at f-stops where diffraction softening is relevant. And that's while shooting landscapes for maximum DOF. Lens softening isn't an issue at these resolutions with good lenses - after all, the D7000 has the same pixel pitch as the D800, and performs just fine. Besides, to avoid moire, you want the sensor to outresolve the lens - that's the whole theory behind the AA filter.

But an issue here is that the sensor doesn't have pixels all the way to the edge - it also have a bit of logic for communicating with the outside world.

These non-light-sensitive areas don't need to be on every edge of the sensor, though - just two edges perpendicular to each other. With some more-complicated production techniques (possibly 3D printing) you could even place all this behind the sensor.. The APS-H 1D sensor was a single chip made from a single wafer of silicon, but the full-frame 1Ds sensor was several pieces stuck together. So, it's possible, and has been done in a production camera.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2012 03:20 |  #200

cptrios wrote in post #14033351 (external link)
You know, for less than $2k you could build the silly pano rig I dreamed up; a tripod head with two sturdy, finely adjustable swivel arms, each with a quick release mount (a total of three including the one on the head itself). Pop a NEX-C3 ($400 body only, virtually identical sensor to the 5n) with the new Sigma 30/2.8 ($200) on each mount, then adjust the two arms until you've got a good 3-photo stitch angle. (You'd have markings pre-done for the ideal infinity stitch.) Set exposure on all three cameras then use a wireless shutter release to shoot all three at the same time. You'd still have to stitch, but for moving subjects and HDR it'd beat the crap out of rotating a single camera. And the whole rig would only be slightly wider than a Linhof 617 camera.

If I had the cash to throw around I think I'd actually do that.

Sounds interesting!

I'd probably modify that to put all three cameras a long a single rail, then mount the rail to the tripod head - that way, you remove height discrepancies and line the three cameras up perfectly along one axis.

There are three problems, though. Firstly, there are manufacturing tolerances - not all 30mms are the same, even within the same model of lens. If one were shooting at 28mm and another at 31mm, for example, you would run into serious problems.

Secondly, you could never eliminate parallax errors with multiple lenses, unless the nodal points are so far in front of the lenses that the lenses won't crash into each other when aligning them to the nodal point, and won't include each other in their field of view.

Finally, there's the question of accurate manual focusing on the three lenses. I don't mean accuracy on the subject - that is easy enough, and almost irrelevant when shooting at deep DOF- but precision in setting all three to exactly the same setting. This matters because FL changes with focus distance. Out of all lens makers, I think only Leica has the necessary quality control and MF rings for this.

vgrab
118 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 06, 2012 10:41 |  #201

lol at this crap. i think the 5d3 looks awesome.

flickr (external link)

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,543 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Mar 06, 2012 10:50 |  #202

Anyone going to upgrade their 5D-Mark-Win95 to the new 5D-Mark-Win98??

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2012 10:53 |  #203

AngryCorgi wrote in post #14035293 (external link)
Anyone going to upgrade their 5D-Mark-Win95 to the new 5D-Mark-Win98??

I'd prefer a version that didn't crash and burn with a BSOD every few hours, or whenever you used it in a resource-intense situation.

Will they release a 5D Linux edition?

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 06, 2012 11:23 |  #204

Shadowblade wrote in post #14035323 (external link)
I'd prefer a version that didn't crash and burn with a BSOD every few hours, or whenever you used it in a resource-intense situation.

Canon will never allow you to assemble the 5D III yourself.

DRH

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 06, 2012 11:32 |  #205

Shadowblade wrote in post #14035323 (external link)

Doubtful but I hear you about the BSOD issue...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,987 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Mar 06, 2012 11:40 |  #206

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14035584 (external link)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 06, 2012 11:57 |  #207
bannedPermanent ban

pwm2 wrote in post #14033550 (external link)
Does it matter? You are basically saying: I don't care what you are interested in - it's only what I am interested in that matters...

And you have spent most of this thread projecting that message. Maybe, just maybe Canon decided to ignore you this round. So you have to pick up the phone and call them and ask why they decided to not call you and get the Shadowblade Single Truth Of The World(tm) requirements correctly signed off before they started to manufacture the camera.

are you ok? is something wrong?
1. message was simply a question
2. question wasnt even for you
3. i only read a page of this, not the whole thing like you did apparently.
4. why are you mad?

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 06, 2012 13:01 |  #208

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14035584 (external link)

Classic.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,385 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 06, 2012 13:26 |  #209

stayhumble wrote in post #14035743 (external link)
are you ok? is something wrong?
1. message was simply a question
2. question wasnt even for you
3. i only read a page of this, not the whole thing like you did apparently.
4. why are you mad?

I think it was e-sarcasm

Sony A7iii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

cyclekraft
20 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 07, 2012 10:02 |  #210

For me, the 5D Mark3 just didn't change enough for me to justify the price. I've been holding off for over a year to see what Canon does to upgrade the 5D Mark II. My initial plans were to buy a 5Dm3 and two 'L' lenses. I would have been happy had the list price been around $2700 or less, but $3500?...nope. Not a sugnificant enough upgrade for me to purchase. Coming from a Medium Format background the Nikon D800 really gets me excited. Therefor I pulled the trigger and ordered a D800.

sponsored links

22,050 views & 0 likes for this thread
Call it what it is - a 5D Mark 2.5
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.