Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 06 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 16:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Purchasing new lens for Yellowstone / Grand Canyon

pixelsoldier
105 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 06, 2012 16:49 |  #1

I guess you could say that this summer I will be going on some sort of road trip, Visiting Yellowstone National Park and driving down to the Grand Canyon, passing through Utah on the way there. I currently own a Canon T1i with the 18-55 kit lens and a 55-250. I have had this setup for a little over a year now so I am familiar with it. However, I feel that this trip will be an apt opportunity to purchase some better lenses and hopefully take some really nice photos of these amazing places.

I have a budget of around $800 and was currently looking at either buying a Sigma 17-50 or a Tokina 11-16. Having never visited these places before, I was wondering if any of you who had been there or to similar places could suggest which lens to get or better yet, suggest a lens (or lenses) that you think would be the best.

Thanks in advance.

GEAR:
T1i (500D) | 18-55mm IS | 55-250 IS
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pixelsoldier/ (external link)

sponsored links
Hoosier ­ Writer
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 06, 2012 18:23 |  #2

Well, everthing I read said to get the Canon 10-22, saying it was better than any other lens in that range. The Tokina also rated well, but for your price range, the Canon is just $50-100 more. (Less if you watch Craigslist close.) I got my 10-22 for $550 and it is only six months old!

bzollinger
Goldmember
1,257 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 06, 2012 18:38 |  #3

I've been through both of those places but not specifically for photography. I have to say though, wide angle is going to be your friend for the expansiveness of the parks. Huge peaks right in front of you, tall waterfalls, deep gorges, etc..

I'd suggest the Tokina 11-16 or the Canon 10-22. I have the Canon and love it, but when I'm not doing landscape work I wish I had the extra speed of the tokina. I almost always use the Canon towards the 10mm end...

You should do a quick photo search on the web for those places and see what type of photos you like and if they are UWA or whatnot.

5DMKIII | EOS M | 14mm f/2.8 Rokinon | 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 16-35mm f/4 L | 24-105mm L | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 100mm Macro f/2.8 L IS | 580ex II | Benro C2980F Veratile legs w/ Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Head | www.alaskanphotographs​.com (external link)

atexasphotog
Goldmember
1,312 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 14, 2012 15:13 |  #4

you should look into this site: http://www.borrowlense​s.com/ (external link) and rent various lens. Ive had a lot of luck with them helping me choose a lens and getting a specific lens without having a large cash outlay and having a lens just sit around for months
My two cents anyway

Canon 6D,T3i, Powershot G16| 50mm 1.8II|100-400mm F4.5-5.6L|24-105 IS F/4 L||16-35mm F/2.8 vIIL|lCanon 1.4x mkII TC|580 EXII |Keeping it all in a KATA Backpack
http://texasphotog.dev​iantart.com/ (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 14, 2012 17:35 |  #5

pixelsoldier wrote in post #14037733 (external link)
I guess you could say that this summer I will be going on some sort of road trip, Visiting Yellowstone National Park and driving down to the Grand Canyon, passing through Utah on the way there. I currently own a Canon T1i with the 18-55 kit lens and a 55-250. I have had this setup for a little over a year now so I am familiar with it. However, I feel that this trip will be an apt opportunity to purchase some better lenses and hopefully take some really nice photos of these amazing places.

I have a budget of around $800 and was currently looking at either buying a Sigma 17-50 or a Tokina 11-16. Having never visited these places before, I was wondering if any of you who had been there or to similar places could suggest which lens to get or better yet, suggest a lens (or lenses) that you think would be the best.

Thanks in advance.

What will the Sigma 17-50 give you that the current 18-55 IS won't? Considering that your landscape shooting will be mostly at apertures of f/8 and smaller, from a focal length standpoint you wouldn't be gaining anything by getting the Sigma, at least IMO. For a wide zoom, I'd go with the Canon 10-22 over the Tokina, mainly for the extra range. As an afterthought for future consideration...rent a 10-22 for the trip, sell the 55-250 and replace it with a 70-200 F/4L (the 70-200 can be had for about $450 on the used market, leaving you some extra cash).

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Geonerd
541 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 15, 2012 11:26 |  #6

While a big vacation makes a nice excuse to buy a new toy, I'm not 100% convinced that there is anything inherent about the GC/Utah (much less YS) that absolutely demands a super-wide field of view. Even in the tightest slot canyons, you may never 'need' a 10mm lens.

Agree w. Argyle and others, rent a super-wide zoom and see how you like it. The increased available DOF can be a lot of fun! Bring a tripod and cable release to make the most of it.

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

pixelsoldier
THREAD ­ STARTER
105 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 15, 2012 17:56 as a reply to  @ Geonerd's post |  #7

I have potentially increased my fund pot to around $1600, and this will probably increase as my trip comes closer.

Ive been looking around the forums and flickr and have decided that I will most likely purchase the canon 10-22 either used or refurbished from canon. On most threads the two lenses that people recommend bringing are the 10-22 and the 100-400 for the wildlife.

While this trip is not the trip of a lifetime (I'm off to university this year), I will not have another opportunity to visit these places anytime soon, therefore I don't really want to skimp on gear (i.e. shoot with the kit lens). I am not currently living in the US so I don't know how I would rent gear as I don't think that we will be returning to one particular place. Would it be unreasonable to purchase gear and then sell it after the trip?

I plan on making photography a real hobby and therefore I don't mind purchasing new equipment. I guess the next question would be, should I get a lens for shooting wildlife? If so, what would be the best option, and what would be a good option keeping in mind the use of the lens after the trip.

Thanks for your replies so far.

GEAR:
T1i (500D) | 18-55mm IS | 55-250 IS
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pixelsoldier/ (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 16, 2012 19:01 |  #8

pixelsoldier wrote in post #14093315 (external link)
I have potentially increased my fund pot to around $1600, and this will probably increase as my trip comes closer.

Ive been looking around the forums and flickr and have decided that I will most likely purchase the canon 10-22 either used or refurbished from canon. On most threads the two lenses that people recommend bringing are the 10-22 and the 100-400 for the wildlife.

While this trip is not the trip of a lifetime (I'm off to university this year), I will not have another opportunity to visit these places anytime soon, therefore I don't really want to skimp on gear (i.e. shoot with the kit lens). I am not currently living in the US so I don't know how I would rent gear as I don't think that we will be returning to one particular place. Would it be unreasonable to purchase gear and then sell it after the trip?

I plan on making photography a real hobby and therefore I don't mind purchasing new equipment. I guess the next question would be, should I get a lens for shooting wildlife? If so, what would be the best option, and what would be a good option keeping in mind the use of the lens after the trip.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Sure hope that you have a nice, sturdy tripod for this trip...if not, I'd highly recommend that you get one.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,050 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 16, 2012 19:10 |  #9

I would go th other direction. 100-400. You'll need it for wildlife. And even 100 for some of the landscapes is perfect. Sunset, 400.

Wider I'm not sure you'll use as much as you may think.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 16, 2012 19:23 |  #10

Since you are coming down through Utah I would guess you will be crossing over at Page Az. Check out Antelope Canyon outside of Page. Google it and I think you will find it well worth the stop. But you'll need a wide angle lens for shots down there.

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

eric.brown
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 16, 2012 19:26 |  #11

atexasphotog wrote in post #14086248 (external link)
you should look into this site: http://www.borrowlense​s.com/ (external link) and rent various lens. Ive had a lot of luck with them helping me choose a lens and getting a specific lens without having a large cash outlay and having a lens just sit around for months
My two cents anyway

+1...great way to get different lenses for a short amount of time

7D Mark II | 7D | 5D Mark III | [/SIZE]17-40mm L | 24-105mm L IS | 300mm f4.0 L | 400mm f5.6 L | 1.4x III & 2x III Extenders | Gitzo Tripod | RRS BH-55
Flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

g8trgr8t
174 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 27, 2012 11:15 |  #12

imho, rent for the trip, 10 - 22, 100 - 400, 2x -III multiplier. Buy the tripod, consider getting a good cpl. Same one will fit the two lenses and you can keep it for when you do buy.

I like lensdepot, always had good luck/service with them.

http://thelensdepot.co​m/Home.php (external link)

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,438 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 30, 2012 06:29 as a reply to  @ g8trgr8t's post |  #13

I've been to Yellowstone and recommend wide to midrange for landscapes and a telephoto for the wildlife.

I can only speak for the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, which IMO has the IQ of an L series lens!

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 02, 2012 09:24 |  #14

I am going to Grand Canyon soon and in the same boat is you where I am purchasing new equipment. In addition to your lens purchase I also recommend that you invest into some good filters.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 02, 2012 16:49 |  #15

The last time I was there early 2000's, I was still using film cameras and I got really nice shots with Canon 17mm, but you have to watch you horizon. The 17-40 would be okay, but I hink the 10-22 as mentioned by JJD would be a better choice since you are using a crop sensor. You really get nice dramatic effects from the ultra wides on this type of subject matter.

Have a ncie trip!

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

sponsored links

5,671 views & 0 likes for this thread
Purchasing new lens for Yellowstone / Grand Canyon
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.