Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 05 Mar 2012 (Monday) 20:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Converting from Windows to Mac?

robertwsimpson
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2012 16:55 |  #16

I just got a mac. been using windows all my life. OSX is so confusing, but I'm getting the hang of it little by little. I wouldn't say the OS is any better or worse than windows, but if you spec a mac and a dell with the same specs, the mac is only about 100-200 dollars more. And honestly, I bought it because I like the way it looks.

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 06, 2012 17:12 |  #17

Nightstalker wrote in post #14037714 (external link)
Also you start by saying that "Macs use higher end hardware..." admittedly you then go on to talk about laptops but "Macs" encompasses both Macbook and iMac.

Since Mac doesn't offer a regular desktop system, it is hard to compare. However, if you start with a $1000 27" monitor you aren't going to come in too far behind the iMac with similar PC specs in a tower.

And you are still too busy tripping over the words and ignoring the main message. I wasn't trying to argue how high end mac was, only that it is no more so than PC.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,889 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 06, 2012 18:04 |  #18

Nightstalker wrote in post #14037741 (external link)
Spoken like a true fanboy.

Both OS use a point and click interface - I've never understood why OSX is supposed to be "better" than Windows.

Please educate me oh fanboy - why is it better ? ;)

I love apple products... fanboy or macboy, doesn't matter... what can I say? :lol:

I use windows at work and mac at home. I never said Mac is "better" than PC, but I guess I can understand why you would think that... ;)

Since I'm not a computer tech nor am I so keen with detail specs, I'll just share a few things from an average user point of view. I just love how sexy it looks and feels. I like how simple and fun it is to browse the OS (although Lion is a bit disappointing..). I like Applecare's customer support, and I absolutely do not mind the fact that it costs more than a PC. I take a stupid pride in that and honestly like it that way. Please don't ask me why... :o

a7RII • V12 • L21 • S24GM • S85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 06, 2012 18:35 |  #19

joonrhee wrote in post #14038091 (external link)
Since I'm not a computer tech nor am I so keen with detail specs, I'll just share a few things from an average user point of view. I just love how sexy it looks and feels. I like how simple and fun it is to browse the OS (although Lion is a bit disappointing..). I like Applecare's customer support, and I absolutely do not mind the fact that it costs more than a PC. I take a stupid pride in that and honestly like it that way. Please don't ask me why... :o

They only cost more than PC's with comparably mediocre specs.
And you guys can keep calling Mac's "high end" until the cow come home, but that does not change the fact that you can find components in even the highest spec Mac, that the PC world abandoned years ago.

As for the design. Give me a ****ing break. They had a fairly decent idea 10 years ago, and have stuck with it ever since. If you wan't truly great design these days, look to Asus or Acer (for laptops), or any high end case manufacturer (for desktops).

although I can't comment on their software support, I can say that Apple has the worst RMA handling in the industry. They know all to well that most of their customers are fanboys/gals that will take pretty much any abuse.
Don't believe me? Team up with a friend who owns a broken iphone or ipad (everyone knows someone with broken apple products) and go into any apple store. When you finally get back out, ask yourself if you would ever go back there if it was a random grocery store or any other store for that matter.

I have not yet met a single person who could honestly answer yes to that.

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2012 18:53 |  #20

quiksquirrel wrote in post #14038234 (external link)
And you guys can keep calling Mac's "high end" until the cow come home, but that does not change the fact that you can find components in even the highest spec Mac, that the PC world abandoned years ago.

As for the design. Give me a ****ing break. They had a fairly decent idea 10 years ago, and have stuck with it ever since. If you wan't truly great design these days, look to Asus or Acer (for laptops), or any high end case manufacturer (for desktops).

although I can't comment on their software support, I can say that Apple has the worst RMA handling in the industry. They know all to well that most of their customers are fanboys/gals that will take pretty much any abuse.
Don't believe me? Team up with a friend who owns a broken iphone or ipad (everyone knows someone with broken apple products) and go into any apple store. When you finally get back out, ask yourself if you would ever go back there if it was a random grocery store or any other store for that matter.

Two Apple Store experiences have left me with distinctly different opinions.

First was when I bought my iPhone 3G (AT&T) and had trouble with call drops and other issues. I found out AT&T stores could do little more than put a new SIM card in, anything more you had to go to an Apple Store (for me, a 42 mile drive). Nobody told me that you had to make a f**king appointment with a "genius" to even get any help. Fortunately a rather terse conversation with the store manager speeded up the process to a matter of only a few minutes wait. Really, really, really stupid concept.
Since the majority of my iPhone problems were AT&T issues, I eventually just abandoned the phone for a Verzion Android phone. Different, yes...better is a matter of opinion. In 2 years I've had ZERO phone or carrier issues.

Second was with a recently purchased iPad2. 3 days old and it got dropped, cracking the screen. No other choice, I made an appointment (still a really stupid concept, IMO) and took it back to find out how much it was going to hurt me to get it fixed. I discovered there is a very loosely followed and very hush hush Apple policy of replacing the unit one time only if this happens. I've heard of it from others, and still other people who have not gotten the replacement so I'm really not sure exactly what their criteria is for doing it. In my case I was clearly distraught, and being polite to the help doesn't hurt either. To me that was a very nice PR move on Apple's part.

Overall, I have to agree that for the same money you can buy/build a much more up-to-date and powerful Windows-based system than what you would get from Apple.
The Windows world is still a more open style of architecture. You can build, upgrade, modify the Win machines all day long, but it gets a lot harder (and more expensive) to do with the Apple machines. Between the two OS' it's really a matter of what you're more comfortable with, and more importantly (and this is where, IMO, Apple loses out big time) what your software needs are. To date there are still far too few popular applications available for Mac OS as compared to the Windows world. Do your homework first before jumping from one OS to the other and finding out that all those programs you've used and gotten comfortable with over the years suddenly aren't available for you and your new Mac. I truly believe that is the biggest factor in deciding which way to go with a computer system. Hardware can be spec'd to what you need in either brand, the quirks of the OS can be figured out without too much difficulty, but having what you need to work with available for your system is really the key.

joonrhee
Goldmember
3,889 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 06, 2012 19:23 |  #21

Once again, I'm not very tech savvy. I could careless about the highest end specs. I'm not going to build my own PC with highest rated components. When I first got introduced to Mac, I just wanted a really nice and lasting laptop for general purposes, and Macbook Pro was one of best laptops available to general consumers.

What's wrong with the design? It's very classy and built extremely well. I also like the fact that there are only one design for each product line. (one design for MBP, iMac, iPhone, iPad, etc...) For example, I don't appreciate Samsung releasing Galaxy Nexus just as soon as S2 is released. I think that would make consumers mad for not waiting a couple of months for a better product. At least, Apple maintains their lineup changes quite routinely. If one wanted more choices of design per product line, Apple is probably not for that person.

So, I guess you had your personal experience with RMA handling? I had absolutely zero problems anytime I called in or went to the Apple store. One day, I was at Apple store (in Cerritos, CA) for an appointment. A high school girl walked in with a water damaged macbook pro (and yes out of warranty and no applecare). Normally, Apple wouldn't even cover water damage under warranty but the technician talked to the supervisor and decided to fix it for her for free. Needless to say, I was very very pleased to see them able to stretch around from their limited capabilities.

Anyways, I have already admitted my flaws and being an Apple fanboy. OP sounded like he wanted to convert to Mac, and I just wanted to encourage him to do it solely based on my personal experience. I had no intentions of pissing off any PC users. Let's just keep things cool and move on.

a7RII • V12 • L21 • S24GM • S85
Full Gear List & Feedback
SmugMug (external link)

Mosephus
774 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 06, 2012 20:16 |  #22

On the quality dept. macs are alittle better, especially in physical quality. I've had both Mac/PC, Dell, Toshiba, Fujitsu etc. and the macs especially the notebooks hold up to time and abuse alot better. I had to tighten every screw on my wife's dell every month almost.

Dallas Pet Photography (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 06, 2012 20:18 |  #23

I am firmly in the Windows camp, I find this highly opinionated, inflammatory and quite exaggerated.

As for support, I have heard bad things about Apple "experts". But at the same time, at least you can go talk to someone face to face. With a Dell or HP, you will be waiting on hold forever to talk to some level 1 guy in a foreign country who is just reading a script.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

LucasxOB
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 06, 2012 21:25 |  #24

New owner of a Macbook Pro 15" =) No turning back now.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 07, 2012 02:26 |  #25

tkbslc wrote in post #14037855 (external link)
Since Mac doesn't offer a regular desktop system, it is hard to compare. However, if you start with a $1000 27" monitor you aren't going to come in too far behind the iMac with similar PC specs in a tower.

And you are still too busy tripping over the words and ignoring the main message. I wasn't trying to argue how high end mac was, only that it is no more so than PC.

Fair enough - I'd even agree that iMAC is not that expensive if you consider the value in the screen - unfortunately most people do not need an IPS screen and a decent 27in TN screen can be had for around $300 - $400 or less - hence why they are percieved as being expensive.

BTW - in the UK that $999 thunderbolt screen is £899 ($1,415) and that is expensive.

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 07, 2012 03:01 |  #26

tkbslc wrote in post #14038951 (external link)
I am firmly in the Windows camp, I find this highly opinionated, inflammatory and quite exaggerated.

I think you might need to brush up on what those words mean. And then take a good hard look at the facts. Start with ANY Mac spec sheet.

As for support. I'm very much aware that there are some truly crappy examples out there that are not Apple. And It is interesting that you should mention HP and Dell specofocally, as those are the two I frequently hear bad things about. It should be noted however, That I have almost exclusively heard good things about Dell's extended "in-home" support and repair The one you pay extra for, just like with Apple).
But if support is important to you, the one solution that will always come out on top, is to have your system build by a local store that specializes in such things. A small privately owned and run store will pretty much always go to much greater length to ensure happy customers. I have one such store near me, that provides same day in-home repair, as a standard for all systems they build. The only way you could possibly get anything better than that, is to spend the 10-15 minutes it takes, to learn the basics yourself. After all, putting together/changing parts in a computer is as simple as sticking one Lego block on top of another.

When it comes to OS support however, no one has yet come anywhere near Canonical's Ubuntu support. Although not my personal favourite, this is the OS I suggest to anyone wanting more stability, security and functionality, with the best support there is.

Btw. I'm not in either camp. I keep a close I on both the Mac and Windows camps, but still live in the Linux hammock that overlooks them from a nearby hilltop.
I left the Windows camp in the mid 1990's.
But still. If I had to choose a non-linux OS today, it would be Windows (even though pretty much all Mac OS's are 70%+ linux ripoff). Windows 7 has actually surprised me positively.

LucasxOB
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 07, 2012 10:50 |  #27

.....Don't believe me? Team up with a friend who owns a broken iphone or ipad (everyone knows someone with broken apple products) and go into any apple store. When you finally get back out, ask yourself if you would ever go back there if it was a random grocery store or any other store for that matter.

That is why you make an appointment. Then you're in and out in no time at all.

SOX ­ 404
574 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 08, 2012 04:34 |  #28

I've been using Windows all my life too; and two months ago, I purchased a MacBook Pro 15". Frankly speaking, until now, I'm still not used to Mac, its short cut, GUI, etc. Very frustating.

AJ
1 x Canon 5DSR | 2 x Canon 5D2 | 8-15L | 16-35L | 17-40L (dead) | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 180L | 70-200 2.8L IS
Aquatica UW Housing | INON Z240 | Ikelite DS-161 | Sola 600 | 2 x Sola 2000
My Flickr  (external link)

LucasxOB
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 08, 2012 20:51 |  #29

SOX 404 wrote in post #14048325 (external link)
I've been using Windows all my life too; and two months ago, I purchased a MacBook Pro 15". Frankly speaking, until now, I'm still not used to Mac, its short cut, GUI, etc. Very frustating.

Yeah. Fortunately I seem to be very good at adapting to things. It has been fairly easy to go from windows to Mac. But I have also used mac a few times in the past. But that doesn't really count. It was for a very brief time.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 09, 2012 07:19 |  #30

Warning: "Mac vs. PC" mudslinging tends to get threads locked rather fast…

Now, for the OP's question: The biggest difference between a Mac and a PC is the "default" operating system.
You could also run windows on a Mac, and run OSX on a PC.

Keep in mind that if you own Photoshop for instance, you'll need a new license if you switch OS. That license is either for Windows or OSX, not both. You can crossgrade, but only to the newest version of PS (PSCS5 at this moment). If you own PSCS2 … PSCS4, you'll need to upgrade. If you own an older version still, you'ld need to buy PSCS5. That certainly adds to the cost.

Further reading about the step Windows > OSX: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10873537#po​st10873537

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

4,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
Converting from Windows to Mac?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.