Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

connect the cam to the laptop when shooting

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 07, 2012 19:47 |  #16

DC Fan wrote in post #14046202 (external link)
Not really.

The most easily purchased wireless link for a digital camera is an EyeFi memory card, (external link) which can be made to create a WiFi connection to a computer or a cell phone. The device sounds like a wonderful idea, but it's less than wonderful in practice.

The EyeFi uplink essentially needs to be sent through a router to connect with a computer, and that router needs to have internet access at all times - because the EyeFi software insists one being able to connect to an EyeFi server.

It takes some effort to get an EyeFi card to connect to a computer, and even when that connection works, it is far, far slower than a cable link. By a long shot, the best way - the only fast and reliable way - to connect a DSLR to a computer is still through a USB cable.

Now, those who are adventuresome, patient and have the right sort of USB EVDO modem may want to experiment with a battery-operated router (external link) and an EyeFi card, but don't get your hopes up or expect miracles.

Apparently you didn't check out the thread I linked to. The wft-e4II grip looks more promising, although it's expensive. I've come to the same conclusion you did with the eye-fi cards. Even with the grip it requires shooting Raw to card and sjpg to the computer for viewing if you want speed. I'm sticking with the cable for now.

One correction to that thread, Canon now has a fix for utilities and OSX Lion.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

sponsored links
LITTLEL
THREAD ­ STARTER
282 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 08, 2012 02:36 as a reply to  @ breal101's post |  #17

Yeah i saw those Eye Fi cards and went onto their website. But it said that it wasn't compatible with the 5d mkii.. So didn't bother reading any further.

5D MK 11, 24 - 105 L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 580 EX Mk II, 70 - 200mm 2.8 L IS usm, 350D with Lense Kit. - New Years Resolution - Take at least a picture a day!!:cool:

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 08, 2012 02:41 |  #18

LITTLEL wrote in post #14048098 (external link)
Yeah i saw those Eye Fi cards and went onto their website. But it said that it wasn't compatible with the 5d mkii.. So didn't bother reading any further.

That's because it's only available as an SD card.

I use it in the 1D and it works pretty well, although not perfect. It locked up at a wedding so I didn't use it after that for that purpose, but for portrait shoots it's fine. It's not instantaneous transfer, but it's faster than removing the card, putting in the computer, transferring, then putting the card back in the camera. It's also less cumbersome than a cable.

I still don't know why it locked up at the wedding. I might have been trying to run off more shots than it could handle at a time, causing a freeze of the firmware.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

LITTLEL
THREAD ­ STARTER
282 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 08, 2012 06:49 |  #19

cdifoto wrote in post #14048111 (external link)
That's because it's only available as an SD card.

I use it in the 1D and it works pretty well, although not perfect. It locked up at a wedding so I didn't use it after that for that purpose, but for portrait shoots it's fine. It's not instantaneous transfer, but it's faster than removing the card, putting in the computer, transferring, then putting the card back in the camera. It's also less cumbersome than a cable.

I still don't know why it locked up at the wedding. I might have been trying to run off more shots than it could handle at a time, causing a freeze of the firmware.

So how slow would you say is slow.. This is mainly going to be used for portrait in the studio, but i want in instantly onto the monitor after i've taken the shot. I dont want to be standing around waiting for it to come onto the screen.
Also having seen what LR can do whilst shooting, it's looks pretty exciting and so for that fact i might just be able to overcome the hassle of having the lead attached.. mmm Food for thought there..

5D MK 11, 24 - 105 L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 580 EX Mk II, 70 - 200mm 2.8 L IS usm, 350D with Lense Kit. - New Years Resolution - Take at least a picture a day!!:cool:

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 08, 2012 12:59 |  #20

LITTLEL wrote in post #14048575 (external link)
So how slow would you say is slow.. This is mainly going to be used for portrait in the studio, but i want in instantly onto the monitor after i've taken the shot. I dont want to be standing around waiting for it to come onto the screen.
Also having seen what LR can do whilst shooting, it's looks pretty exciting and so for that fact i might just be able to overcome the hassle of having the lead attached.. mmm Food for thought there..

Forget instantly. Ain't gonna happen. Takes about 6-15 seconds for an 8-10MB CR2 out of my 1D II to get over the air and imported to LR, maybe more depending whether anything went to sleep.

So no, you're not going to look slick with it if you do raw exclusively. It's just a cheap and easy way to get files from one machine to the next. I work around the delay by shooting a series then turning the model's and my attention to the laptop, rather than shooting one, turning to the screen, shooting another, turning to the screen again.

Smaller JPEGs are pretty much snap though. You can set it to transfer only those for previewing if you want to be quicker about it. You can also set it to only transfer the photos you lock in-camera. It's a nice way to hide your bloopers. ;-)a

I'm not sure if any wireless solution has the speed of a cable at this point, although I could be wrong.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

drvideo
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 08, 2012 16:33 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #21

I'm using an Android app on my Toshiba tablet, and so far ir seems to be working as well as the EOS utility . . .

60D/Tam 17-50 f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD/Tam 70-200 f2.8 Di LD/Tam 60 F2 Macro/Tok 11-16 f2.8
Sunpak Auto544/Sekonic L758CINE

sponsored links

3,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
connect the cam to the laptop when shooting
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.