Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Feb 2012 (Saturday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H fo rmy next lens purchase?

Bilsen
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 07, 2012 10:35 |  #16

themadman wrote in post #14039320 (external link)
I have used them a lot. Amazon, Adorama, and B&H are where I buy almost all my photogear.

This x 100.

These three are all I ever use and I've had GREAT service from each of them. With Adorama and B&H, you can actually call them and get really good advice also.

BILSEN (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D/T3i; 70D & 1D Mk2
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50 mm 1.4; 18-55 IS;55-250 IS; 85mm f1.4 Sekonic L-358; 580EX & (2) 430EX
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio​.com (external link)

sponsored links
cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 07, 2012 11:30 |  #17

johngalt_ny wrote in post #14042807 (external link)
This x 100.

These three are all I ever use and I've had GREAT service from each of them. With Adorama and B&H, you can actually call them and get really good advice also.

There are about eight or ten companies that I'm very comfortable buying from and will generally go for the one with the best price. When prices are the same, depending on the item, I'll go first to Costco for their great return policy, and secondly to Amazon for their good return policy and for convenience.

Amazon and NewEgg both have very active customer participation in their product reviews. Emotionally, I'd love to support the local camera shop but, logically, that's tough to do. Both Adorama and B&H are large businesses; neither of them are the local mom and pop photo shop.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 07, 2012 14:40 |  #18

ldt_81 wrote in post #14039219 (external link)
I ended up ordering two lenses from B&H after I posted this. The 85mm 1.8 that I love and the 75-300 for my husband. We already had a 55-250 and there wasnt that much of a difference in focal length for me to justify spending $200 on the 75-300, so I called about sending it back. They were really helpful and said it would be no problem. I love the fact that they have the 30 day guarantee. If it wasn't for this I would just be out $200. I am waiting to see how fast they are able to handle the return. If all goes smoothly, then I will definitely order from them again!

Thank you for your confidence in us and for your kind words. We're more concerned you're satisfied with the experience than with the equipment, although we're concerned about both, naturally.

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

redflash
726 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 07, 2012 15:49 |  #19

Can't go wrong with B&H IMO, even posting down here they are first rate.

Canon 60D Gripped Tamron 17-50 (non-VC) | 18-55 | 18-135 | Nifty50 | 70-200 f2.8 L IS Mk II | YN565 | ManFriday | Carry Speed Strap
razzi (external link) flickr (external link)
Just trying to have a little bit of fun folks, that's all :cool: - Dean Martin

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 07, 2012 19:30 |  #20

cacawcacaw wrote in post #14043148 (external link)
. Both Adorama and B&H are large businesses; neither of them are the local mom and pop photo shop.

They are for us New Yorkers
I'll be stopping in at B&H tomorrow to p/u a Sekonic 308 s in red!
Even though I can have it mailed free shipping I'll be on 33rd. So why not stop in.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

jakefreese
555 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 07, 2012 19:33 |  #21

Another B&H customer. They have taken very good care of me. I usually always get my stuff from them in 2-3 days also <- that is hard to beat too.

7D, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, some rocks and hammers...
Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
SOUTHWEST REINED COWHORSE ASSOCIATION (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 07, 2012 19:42 |  #22

I've used them a ton of times...nothing but great things to say about them. Everything so far has been smooth, even when I got a defective lens (not their fault)...I'd recommend them without hesitation.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

drvideo
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 08, 2012 16:41 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #23

B & H is hard to beat; I work for a large AV systems integrator, and the prices at B & H often beat our direct-from-the-manufacturer prices. I use them all the time.

60D/Tam 17-50 f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD/Tam 70-200 f2.8 Di LD/Tam 60 F2 Macro/Tok 11-16 f2.8
Sunpak Auto544/Sekonic L758CINE

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 08, 2012 19:11 |  #24

ldt_81 wrote in post #13967749 (external link)
Just curious how many people use B&H? I have never ordered thru them, but was planning on ordering my 85mm 1.8 from them soon, considering they are cheaper.

I see they are a considerable amount cheaper than the made in USA ones, but I am nervous about buying a "grey" product.

One thing is that lenses are not "made in USA", they are designated for USA sale and carry a USA warranty. Buy a "imported" product in the USA and you won't have a warranty to use.

Lastly, why not buy from a local store instead of one particular store because "they are cheaper" as you say? Spend your money in your local economy instead of sending your money out of town or even out of state. Spend your money locally and more of your money will "stay" in your local economy instead of into New York economy. Spending money locally will help keep and create local jobs. Every city needs jobs these days, right? ;) Don't be a cheapskate.

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 09, 2012 09:24 |  #25

You-by-Lou wrote in post #14046170 (external link)
They are for us New Yorkers
I'll be stopping in at B&H tomorrow to p/u a Sekonic 308 s in red!
Even though I can have it mailed free shipping I'll be on 33rd. So why not stop in.

cause they were closed this Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​!
so I wound up ordering online this morning anyway

Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

ldt_81
THREAD ­ STARTER
156 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 09, 2012 20:47 |  #26

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #14052739 (external link)
One thing is that lenses are not "made in USA", they are designated for USA sale and carry a USA warranty. Buy a "imported" product in the USA and you won't have a warranty to use.

Lastly, why not buy from a local store instead of one particular store because "they are cheaper" as you say? Spend your money in your local economy instead of sending your money out of town or even out of state. Spend your money locally and more of your money will "stay" in your local economy instead of into New York economy. Spending money locally will help keep and create local jobs. Every city needs jobs these days, right? ;) Don't be a cheapskate.

Because I am a cheapskate (with everything I buy) I can afford hobbies, such a photography. I like to save money. The only camera store I know of around here is Wolf Camera and they didn't even have the Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens I wanted. I did buy a wireless remote from them though. I recirculated that $35 dollars back into my local economy! :D

I'm Lora :D Here's my: Website (external link) - Facebook (external link) - Camera + Lenses (external link)

aSalazarPhoto
147 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 09, 2012 20:55 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

i have ordered abd sadly sold two canon 5d mk ii, 2 85mm 1.8,3 50mm 1.8, one nikon 50mm 1.8, 2 135mm f/2 L lenses, and much more with never an issue! they rock!

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 10, 2012 21:42 |  #28

Another vote of confidence here for B&H, Adorama, and Amazon. If you get the chance, visit the B&H store in NYC, it is like a photographer's dreamworld there!

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 10, 2012 22:29 |  #29

Grimes wrote in post #14064695 (external link)
Another vote of confidence here for B&H, Adorama, and Amazon. If you get the chance, visit the B&H store in NYC, it is like a photographer's dreamworld there!

It's like a pilgrimage to Jerusalem 'cept for photographers.

Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,248 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 10, 2012 23:48 |  #30

My algorithm;

Check BH, if it exists and price is the same or lower buy from them,

If item doesn't exist(they are selective) check Amazon. I guess they have an agreement with Adorama that i saw a lot of Adorama products are listed there, so no need to check Adorama website. And the second reason is they can sell the stuff that BH doesn't sell. If the price is reasonable buy from Amazon.

If i think the price is not fair or cannot find what i'm exactly looking for, check ebay, consider longer shipping period, and if i find buy from there.

If there's still no result, glorious google is always there for me ;)

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,604 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&H fo rmy next lens purchase?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.