Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 08:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

URGENT ADVICE PLEASE - How to make backgrounds white in Photoshop?

starlaborne
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 08, 2012 08:59 |  #1

Hi everyone,

I have attached a copy of an image I have (blurred out faces for privacy) but I need to make the background white in photoshop. The way I usually do it is by using the magic tool & feathering around the people by 2pixels. However, this then looks hideous around the hairlines - especially the blonde haired woman.

How do you make backgrounds white in photoshop? I have a lot of images to get through so really need to find an easier way to do this. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,867 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 08, 2012 09:35 |  #2

First, this is going to be moved to the RAW & PP section. Second, I kind of like the little bit of tone in the background & would leave it alone.

really need to find an easier way to do this.

Third, the easiest way would have been to blow out the background when you shot it. There are a lot of ways to "fix it", but the easiest way isn't the best.
Easiest.
Best. (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

PTPhotography
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 08, 2012 10:56 |  #3

I agree with what Frank says...it looks nice 'as is'. But, you could use a feathered brush tool to paint at a medium opacity bright white on the background and just not get too close to the people. Or, you could create a new layer and brighten it until you like the way the background looks and then create a mask to paint back in the people from the bottom layer. Both of these take time, I know.

KrakenWakes
131 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 08, 2012 11:08 |  #4

I would use the quick selection tool on the background, refine the edge, create a layer mask. Refine the mask until it looks good and then use levels and/or brightness and contrast to blow out the background. If none of that made any sense to you, I'd suggest checking out some tutorials on you tube, or picking up a photoshop book.

A6000

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 08, 2012 11:11 |  #5

Another way would be

New Layer copy of original
over expose to get white bakground
erase bits of new layer with a feathered brush to show correct exposed layer.

This might result in the hair/edge transition looking more natural.

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 08, 2012 11:37 |  #6

If the background is completely white, you're going to lose the woman's shirt.

Anyway. There are people who are way better than me at masking, but I would do a Quick Selection then Refine Edge to make a mask, to brighten up just the background.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,003 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 08, 2012 11:54 |  #7

If it were me then I would throw a bit more light on the background when taking the shot. Even if you can only brighten the centre portion of the background behind the subjects you will then be able to do the rest with a bright white layer and a layer mask, without having to worry about getting right up to the subject. I know that this would not help you with the photos that you already have.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

JTW_Jr
549 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 08, 2012 23:09 |  #8

KrakenWakes wrote in post #14049814 (external link)
I would use the quick selection tool on the background, refine the edge, create a layer mask. Refine the mask until it looks good and then use levels and/or brightness and contrast to blow out the background. If none of that made any sense to you, I'd suggest checking out some tutorials on you tube, or picking up a photoshop book.

+1 , that how I would do it. The masking features of CS5 flat out rock.

Canon 60D ,50 F1.8 , 17-85 , 55-250, 24-105 , Sigma 70-200

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 08, 2012 23:12 |  #9

Is that Jaromir Jagr?

Matt
flickr (external link)

redrocket
559 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 09, 2012 01:09 |  #10

check out the Zack Arias white background tutorials.......

I have G.A.S.

sponsored links

1,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
URGENT ADVICE PLEASE - How to make backgrounds white in Photoshop?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.