Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 08 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 19:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50mm 1.4 vs. 1.2

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,842 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 08, 2012 19:51 |  #1

I own the 1.4 lens and have never used the 1.2 lens. There's a hefty price tag on the latter as everyone knows.

Is it safe to assume that you are getting quite a bang for you buck in IQ, besides getting the extra stop? Been chewing on adding it to my 'arsenal' and probably ought to look in to renting it first.

Thoughts?

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

sponsored links
eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 08, 2012 19:54 |  #2

Owned a 50 1.2 for about a few weeks and sold it 3 days ago.

50 1.2
-Better bokeh
-Slightly better microcontrast and colors SOOC
-Better build
-Better AF

Bottomline for me was value and 50 1.2 was just not worth the $1400 price tag. 50 1.4 offered 90% of what the 50 1.2 can do imho.

jeffreynmandy
357 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 08, 2012 19:59 |  #3

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm seriously thinking about a 5d mark iii. with the supposed ISO capabilities of it and a 1.2 lens, you should be able to take a picture in almost darkness. For the cost you should be able to anyway.

Ever changing.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 08, 2012 20:00 |  #4

I own it. I won't sell it until there's a better one.

When you say IQ, it depends upon whats important to you. For me, in a specialty lens like that, I want great bokeh and excellent low light AF performance.

If you don't care about AF, at the L price level, have a look at the MF 50 primes.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,805 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 08, 2012 20:04 |  #5

I bought the Sigma 50 f/1.4 as a nice compromise between the build and IQ of those two lens mentioned above. The 50 f/1.2 at $900 would be about as much as I could see paying even if it's an awesome lens.

Of course not everyone has my budget, or my wife stareing them down when I mention how much my hobby is costing us this time.;)

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

mike ­ cabilangan
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 08, 2012 20:39 |  #6

eye2i wrote in post #14052978 (external link)
Owned a 50 1.2 for about a few weeks and sold it 3 days ago.

50 1.2
-Better bokeh
-Slightly better microcontrast and colors SOOC
-Better build
-Better AF

Bottomline for me was value and 50 1.2 was just not worth the $1400 price tag. 50 1.4 offered 90% of what the 50 1.2 can do imho.

what did you end up with? Canon or sigma 1.4?

camera bag reviews (external link)
flickr (external link)gearLust

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 08, 2012 20:50 |  #7

I had the 50L, sold it awhile ago to a friend, missed it, and will now be buying it back from him in a few days. I miss the weather sealing and the exquisite "1.2 look" (same with the 85L).

I found the AF to be a little quirky on the L. Reliability-wise, I prefer the 35L. The biggest issue IMO is still the focus shift, which doesn't happen on the 1.4. If you're happy with your 1.4 and don't have a lot of money to experiment with, you should probably just hang onto it. The 1.4 is a fine performer.

By the way, it's only a half-stop faster, not a full stop!

Good luck with your decision.

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

dawnkyung
948 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 08, 2012 21:28 as a reply to  @ Collin85's post |  #8

I love my 50L. I don't have any of the focusing issues that the lens is infamous for. My 50 1.4 performed admirably, but there's something about the L that I feel is just magic. I love the images it produces. Maybe I got lucky with my copy or I have very low expectations, lol, but I just LOVE it.

IMAGE: http://www.dawnlightphotos.com/People/Jill-3-4-2012/i-cZgnXCC/0/L/IMG4439-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.dawnlightph​otos.com …479136&k=cZgnXC​C&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

dawn | 29 | gear

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 08, 2012 23:24 |  #9

CatchingUp wrote in post #14052961 (external link)
I own the 1.4 lens and have never used the 1.2 lens. There's a hefty price tag on the latter as everyone knows.

Is it safe to assume that you are getting quite a bang for you buck in IQ, besides getting the extra stop? Been chewing on adding it to my 'arsenal' and probably ought to look in to renting it first.

Thoughts?

The 1.4 is known the be sharper, and the 1.2 does have issues. But if you are in love with Bokeh and could care less about pixel peeping the 50L does offer good image quality. The build quality and smoother FTM focus ring sold me on the lens. I call in my baby 85L because if i dont care to carry the 85L with me, i'll be damn sure to carry my 50L.

Here are my portrait samples with the 50L:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i924.photobucke​t.com …1/barestudy21/3​30yaoi.jpg (external link)

http://i924.photobucke​t.com …/barestudy21/2i​v03ep2.jpg (external link)

S.Horton wrote in post #14053000 (external link)
I own it. I won't sell it until there's a better one.

When you say IQ, it depends upon whats important to you. For me, in a specialty lens like that, I want great bokeh and excellent low light AF performance.

If you don't care about AF, at the L price level, have a look at the MF 50 primes.

Same reasons for owning the 50L. When there is a better one, I will sell mine off. I bought mine for 1250 but prices sure have increased in the last year or so. I was eyeing a 100L but the prices have gone up by $300. No thank you. I'll have to wait.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

snaphappyphotography
251 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 09, 2012 00:52 |  #10

I don't know if I have a "bad" copy, or if there even is such a thing, but I never use the 50 1.4 below 2.8. I just don't like the results. The 50 1.2L, on the other hand, is very usable at any aperture and I really love it. I was fortunate enough to evaluate it for two weeks and it's high on my list of future purchases.

One way to look at it, the 50 1.2L is kind of like a lesser version of 85 1.2LII. The 85 is sharper, but the 50 is very decent, the 85 has better color, but the 50 is still great, and the 85 is more dreamy at 1.2, but the 50 is dreamy as well. And unlike the 85 the 50 focuses instantly. But if I wanted the magical look of the 85, but wanted to save some money I would certainly pick up the 50 1.2, and eventually own both!

PS, get it here and save money: http://shop.usa.canon.​com …uct_10051_10051​_275772_-1 (external link)

Regarding focus shift, if you start reading about it, I shot two weddings with the 501.2L, both ceremonies in fact, and parts of the reception, and didn't notice any problems. I'm sure some versions have the problem, but other copies are just fine.

D800, D700, MB D10, 85 1.4G, 70-200 2.8G VR II, 16-35 f4G VR II, 60 2.8G Micro, SB 910 (x4), SB 900, Radio Popper PX Trans (x2), Radio Popper PX Rec (x3)

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 09, 2012 01:31 |  #11

I love my 50L, it is the best 50mm that I have ever owned. I tried 3 copies of the sigma, none of them works out of the box, all have focusing issues and very inconsistent. Then I moved on to the Canon 50mm f/1.4, it performs well with good IQ. But I finally pulled my trigger on the 50L, as I would like to have a more solid build 50 than the f/1.4. IMO, the 50L is sharp wide open, very good contrast, excellent build quality and the amazing f/1.2 aperture that creates creamy bokeh~!

Here is a sample:

http://i1199.photobuck​et.com …fongphotography​/cake2.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

billppw350z
210 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 09, 2012 06:14 |  #12

I own, have used, and consider both the 50 1.2L and the 50 1.4 great lenses. From my real world experience, the L has better bokeh, color/contrast at all apertures, and better build quality. The auto focus accuracy/consistency of the L is much better than the non-L wider than f2.8 (as good as my other L primes), and they are about the same smaller than f2.8. The non-L focuses insignificantly faster in good light. The L’s low light auto focusing ability is extraordinary. Better than any of my other fast L primes. It will literally snap into focus in a dark room where other lenses just hunt and fail. It’s downright difficult to make the L flare. Both lenses are sharp. The L is slightly but noticeably sharper wider than f2, somewhere between f2 and f2.8 they become the same, and I can’t see a difference smaller than f2.8.

If you frequently shoot wider than f2 or in low light situations, then the L is well worth the upgrade. If most of your shots are smaller than f2.8, it isn’t. If you shoot mostly in between or at a wide range of apertures, then let your wallet be your guide.

Good Luck with your decision.

Bill
Regardless of the genre or medium, I just like capturing beauty and recording memories
billppw350z.smugmug.co​m/ (external link)
Gear List

CatchingUp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,842 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 09, 2012 06:19 |  #13

I did contact a local photographer that I know last night. She owns the 50L and says she loves it, but has sent it in to Canon several times due to focusing issues. Which seems to echo what others have said. I wonder why there would be those type 'issues' on such a pricey lens?

I have also pondered the 85L as well....and I asked on here once about using that for indoor sports, like basketball and heard it was slow on focusing as well. Wonder what it is about those lenses?

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

The ­ One ­ Pixel ­ Wonder
80 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 09, 2012 10:17 |  #14

CatchingUp wrote in post #14055019 (external link)
I have also pondered the 85L as well....and I asked on here once about using that for indoor sports, like basketball and heard it was slow on focusing as well. Wonder what it is about those lenses?

They have massive amount of glass to move :) While the 85L is a much easier decision to make than the 50L, at the end of the day with the non-L you'll be left knowing that there is something better out there with a red ring on it.

TOPW

CatchingUp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,842 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 09, 2012 10:28 |  #15

The One Pixel Wonder wrote in post #14056101 (external link)
They have massive amount of glass to move :) While the 85L is a much easier decision to make than the 50L, at the end of the day with the non-L you'll be left knowing that there is something better out there with a red ring on it.

I've got a 300 2.8 with a red ring around it. Lots of glass in it too. And it focuses rather quickly for me when shooting sports.

Tony

sponsored links

6,257 views & 0 likes for this thread
50mm 1.4 vs. 1.2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.