Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Mar 2012 (Friday) 16:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D + 5D MkII or 5D Mk III

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 03, 2012 07:32 |  #16

Patience is a virtue.

By the end of this year, you will be able to have both the NEW 7DII and the 5DIII, so this question will then become moot. ;)...:)

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

sponsored links
swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
978 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 03, 2012 08:57 |  #17

Well as I mentioned in another post I may have to wait since I always use a grip and there is no availability on the BG-E11 grip and also a L-bracket from Kirk or RRS. Need a whole system not just a body.

Also sounds like if you upgrade just your 5D Mk II to to a Mk III and keep the 7D you again get the best of both worlds and a pair of cameras that have similar control layout and view finder features.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

SBernhardt
25 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 03, 2012 09:42 |  #18

Waited & Waited for the detail on the III and decided that its a bit to much so just ordered the 5DII + Grip..

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
978 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 04, 2012 13:17 |  #19

So I'm fortunate to own both a 7D and 5D2. I am planning on getting a 5D3 body. Now the question is which one do I keep as the backup? I'm assuming the 5D3 will do everything my 5D2 will do so I'm thinking of only keeping he 7D since it contols and AF system will be closer to the me 5D3. Or if if I keep the 5D2 to have two FF bodies and I can really have a backup that offers high quality IQ.

What do you think is the better combo to own, 5D3 & 5D2, or 5D3 & 7D? Let me know your thoughts.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

gabers99
118 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 04, 2012 14:41 |  #20

swldstn wrote in post #14021048 (external link)
So I'm fortunate to own both a 7D and 5D2. I am planning on getting a 5D3 body. Now the question is which one do I keep as the backup? I'm assuming the 5D3 will do everything my 5D2 will do so I'm thinking of only keeping he 7D since it contols and AF system will be closer to the me 5D3. Or if if I keep the 5D2 to have two FF bodies and I can really have a backup that offers high quality IQ.

What do you think is the better combo to own, 5D3 & 5D2, or 5D3 & 7D? Let me know your thoughts.

That's exactly what I'd like to kmow As well, please.

Canon 5D Mk II - 24-105 L - 85 1.8 - EX 580 II - LEE Filters

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 04, 2012 17:03 |  #21

That depends on what type of photography you shoot. More action = keep the 7D, more portrait work = 5D2.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

Tealtele
318 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 04, 2012 17:31 |  #22

Depends on what you shoot, 5d2 and 5d3 will be close enough that you could switch lenses between the two seamlessly, which would come in handy for weddings and things where you don't even want to think about the camera.

7d adds versatility if you want a little more reach without cropping(in post) or if you need just a bit more speed.

Echoherbie
58 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 04, 2012 22:01 as a reply to  @ Tealtele's post |  #23

I have a different scenario. I currently have Mk2 and was thinking of getting 7D for wildlife and sports. Now should i still keep the Mk2 and get the 7D or should i sell my Mk2 and get the Mk3 instead. I don't need the second body as backup. I am not making money out of this hobby.

If Mk3 has come up with the crop mode (like D800) and higher sensor density, then the choice to me is easy and obvious.

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 04, 2012 23:09 |  #24

Echoherbie wrote in post #14024679 (external link)
I have a different scenario. I currently have Mk2 and was thinking of getting 7D for wildlife and sports. Now should i still keep the Mk2 and get the 7D or should i sell my Mk2 and get the Mk3 instead. I don't need the second body as backup. I am not making money out of this hobby.

If Mk3 has come up with the crop mode (like D800) and higher sensor density, then the choice to me is easy and obvious.

Go with the 7D. The crop will be nice for wildlife and field sports. The 5D3 doesn't need more MP's, the D3s had a crop mode and it was only 12MP.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Mar 04, 2012 23:44 |  #25

swldstn wrote in post #14009370 (external link)
I know this comparison is being made in a lot of the posts on the new 5D Mk III but for those of use who really do own both of these current bodies I'm wondering if you are consider trading up. I look at the Mk III as almost the perfect combinations of these two even though it would probably set you back more than the two separate bodies? Carrying arround both to take advantage of the strength of each is a lot of weight especially if you have them both gripped and with L- brackets.

Of course if you op for the single body you lose the 1.6x and reach you get with the 7D with telephoto zooms and the 8fps but 6 fps would work for me.

I had heard you could use your BG-E6 grip on the Mk IIII but can't confirm this. If so great, if not that does add to the package price of a new system.

Let me know your thoughts.

First of all .. I feel you're jumping the gun mentioning the Mk IIII ;)

For the type of shooting I do (mainly wildlife) I prefer to have two bodies with me at all times. The 7D and 5D2 combo work well for me, but the 5D3 does look like a promising body. The trouble is there no way I could justify dropping $3.5k on a body to replace one of mine.
So, for the foreseeable future I'll be sticking with what I have.

My Gear List  :p

Zigot
601 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 04, 2012 23:55 |  #26

I 'd rather have two bodies than one.

7D, 5Dii, 5Diii, 70-300L, 24-105L 70-200Lii, 135L, 85, Tammy 150-600, 430EXii, 550EX, 580EXii, Σ50, Σ105 Macro, Σ150 Macro, ΣEM-140, Σ1.4x, LensBaby 3G, White lightnings, Bowens. Gear - feedbacks

vegasboy
Goldmember
2,366 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 05, 2012 00:38 |  #27

I'm in the position where I have a 7D, and am getting my first FF (whilst still keeping the 7D for my grunt work). I waited out for the 5D3, but the price really surprised me.

I was thinking of getting a gripped 5D2, and perhaps a nice new piece of glass to accompany my current setup, instead of the 5D3.

As of tonight I think I'm just going to save up that extra little bit and get the 5D3 though. My reasoning behind it is simply no spending the cash on an outdated camera, and just spring for the 5D3 that will last me quite a long time.

-Alex
5D3 Gripped | 7D Gripped | 35 f/1.4L | 85 f/1.2L II | 24-105 f/4L | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/4L | Alienbees |
Fotosbyalex.com (external link) | Flickr (external link) |
Like my Facebook (external link) | Instagram @evoalex (external link)

Norkusa
510 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2012 16:15 |  #28

frankk wrote in post #14011042 (external link)
Without getting into the 5DIII debate, I'd rather own a FF and crop. When I walk out the door with both bodies plus a 35mm and 85mm, I've got most typical situations handled with two nice primes. If I need reach @400, I grab the crop. If I'm shooting landscape or still people, I grab the FF. Much more versitility.

This is my setup today. Would not trade both for a better FF or better crop.

This is exactly why I'm holding onto my 7D after the new 5D arrives. :cool:

5D Mk III • 600EX-RT x 2
Tokina 16-28 • 24-70L II •70-200L IS II •
100L • EF 15mm Fisheye

dailydriver
94 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 06, 2012 16:44 |  #29

If I didn't purchase my 5DII in January. I would've pre-ordered the Mark III. The more I read about the Mark III, the more I want it.

That's why I got my 5DII for sale on Craigslist now. Hope someone buys it, then 5D Mark III for me before summer is over. :-)

5D MkIII Gripped | S100
EF 24-70 2.8 L II USM
EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
600 EX RT | ST-E3-RT | Yongnou YN560

Häakon
32 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 09, 2012 18:58 |  #30

ejenner wrote in post #14010655 (external link)
To me 2 cameras that are good at what they do is better than one very expensive in-between.

You do know it's possible to crop full-frame images and get that faux "reach" you're talking about, right? :P

sponsored links

7,909 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D + 5D MkII or 5D Mk III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.