Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Mar 2012 (Friday) 15:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D to 5d2: Will I miss AF?

Desertraptor
Cream of the Crop
11,550 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 10, 2012 07:44 as a reply to  @ post 14061259 |  #16

Canon_Shoe wrote in post #14061249 (external link)
I think I'd miss the 1.6 crop factor when zooming on anything with a telephoto lens. My 5DII is in the mail, but I'm keeping my 60D for wildlife/sports

Not another who believes in fairies? Or you trolling me?
Putting a EF lens on a crop body does not magically increase your focal length. It's an illusion fed by morons at the local camera stores on the unknowing and the fact that a crop camera actually crops the image for you which gives the illusion of increased magnification. A 50mm EF lens is and always will be a 50mm EF lens no matter what body it's on

Peter
Canon 6D|60D|40D
Lens 10-22mm f2.8|50mm f 1.8|100mm f2.8 Macro

24-70mm f2.8|L100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
Flash 430EX II
Telescope Skywatcher 600mm ED80 f7.5 GEM EQ3

sponsored links
dailydriver
94 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 10, 2012 07:57 |  #17

I've had the 5D2 for 3 months and during those times, I was vigorously testing the focus over and over. I probably took about 3000 shots just for testing.

Conclusion: You will miss the focusing on the 7D. Like everyone is saying. Only the center is good. Not great for any motion at all. Even the center focus can't track my 2 year old running.

The conclusion that I came to before just ponding it off on Craigslist for $50 lost is:

1. Great Focusing with all the focus points in my studio. Pictures came out with great details and IQ. This is because my models are posing. If you pixel peep. You'll still love it.

2. Really bad for tracking anything moving. With the center focus point. Out of 10 shots, I would be lucky to get 2 good shots. Not great shots. If you don't pixel peep, then it'll seem okay, but if you zoom in at 100%. You will be disappointed.

3. The outer focus points are just not there basically. The are not useful for tracking at all.

You don't know how much I tried to convince myself to keep the 5D Mark II. Countless sleepiness nights thinking, "Should I keep it? I don't need the 5D3 for $1,500 more..." I was in denial. I have sold it for a $50 lost (considered it rent for 3 months, Not bad).

Now I got the 5D Mark III on order as I can't go back to crop.

Just my opinion on the 5D2 that I tested. I bought it brand new and used it for 3 months. Tested under every condition I could think off. I just accepted it that the AF is bad.

5D MkIII Gripped | S100
EF 24-70 2.8 L II USM
EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
600 EX RT | ST-E3-RT | Yongnou YN560

NivoMedia
258 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 10, 2012 08:03 |  #18

will you miss the faster AF yes, will you enjoy the FF photo yes.

I use a {3+2}D Mark [10-8] and a (23-16)D and a Nikon D(75+75)x2s and a Nikon D(38+2)x

dailydriver
94 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 10, 2012 08:14 |  #19

Desertraptor wrote in post #14061274 (external link)
Putting a EF lens on a crop body does not magically increase your focal length. It's an illusion fed by morons at the local camera stores on the unknowing and the fact that a crop camera actually crops the image for you which gives the illusion of increased magnification. A 50mm EF lens is and always will be a 50mm EF lens no matter what body it's on

That's what I've been wondering about, but never asked the question. I don't care about crop and will never go back to crop, but I would like to know the answer.

Full Frame?: 50mm = 50mm

Crop Frame?: 50mm = 80mm
Does this mean that your FOV is just smaller or does it mean that you are looking out further.

I've never really checked into this. I've always thought that crop will just cut down your FOV.

5D MkIII Gripped | S100
EF 24-70 2.8 L II USM
EF 70-200mm 2.8 L IS USM II
600 EX RT | ST-E3-RT | Yongnou YN560

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 10, 2012 09:08 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

dailydriver wrote in post #14061345 (external link)
That's what I've been wondering about, but never asked the question. I don't care about crop and will never go back to crop, but I would like to know the answer.

Full Frame?: 50mm = 50mm

Crop Frame?: 50mm = 80mm
Does this mean that your FOV is just smaller or does it mean that you are looking out further.

I've never really checked into this. I've always thought that crop will just cut down your FOV.

Here is the answer to your question:

-=CROP FACTOR=- 10,000 posts on the X-Factor

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 10, 2012 09:22 as a reply to  @ Hermeto's post |  #21

Crop factor doesn't magically change the lens but it does put more pixels in a smaller area. This allows more cropping with greater detail.
Example. My 60d is 18mp. So i put 18mp in a small area.
A 5d2 is 22mp but puts it over a 60% larger area. This means less detail over that center area.
So the "reach" isn't what you see. It's what you get.
I have done this with a tripod and the 2 cameras.
It's very noticeable.

My Flickr (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 10, 2012 09:34 |  #22

You're right... and you're wrong.

A 50mm is still a 50mm.

But actually an 18MP APS-C camera "puts more pixels on target" than a 21MP FF camera does... so there is some "free teleconverter" effect. It's just not all of the 1.6X "lens conversion factor".

The pixel site density of the 7D is more than twice that of the 5DII. The crop camera has approx. 53,923 pixel sites per square mm. The FF camera has approx. 24,336 pixel sites per square mm.

Thats's a factor of 2.22X more pixels per square mm in the 7D. Yet the lens conversion factor is only 1.6X.

Now this doesn't take into account other factors such as the quality of those pixel sites, differences in lens resolving capabilities, and the anti-alias filters differences between the two cameras, so it's rather simplistic... But yes, the 7D offers some "free teleconverter" effect. It's somewhat less than 1.6X, but still is more than 1.0X.

I use both and will usually choose the 7D for most subjects that call for some telephoto reach. In order to achieve similar subject framing that I get with a handheld 300mm f4 lens on the 7D, with the 5DII I'd need to use a much larger, heavier, and far more expensive tripod/monopod-only 500/4 lens.

There are plenty of other reasons I'd choose to use the 7D over the 5DII in various situations... Or, vice versa, times that I'd choose the FF camera instead of the crop. That's why I have both.

If I think I'm going to be using the images very large, I'd rather shoot with the FF. I also prefer it for greater control over depth of field and the way it renders bokeh with large aperture shots. It would typically be my choice for landscape shots, portraits, and often for macro... all situations where the FF camera's characteristics can be beneficial and it's shortcomings are minimized.

But the 1.6X camera is closer to FF in image quality than many people give it credit for... There's an awful lot of "full frame goodness" hype flying around. I'll use the croppers when I need better AF performance, higher frame rates, "more reach" and/or want to keep my lens kit as light as possible. Also, the 5DII's shutter is louder and more likely to draw attention in some situations (glad to see the Mark III has a quiet mode... Canon should be able to make the camera a lot quieter... after all, they made the Elan 7/EOS 30 models, which were very quiet "FF" 35mm film cameras.)

Plus, a crop camera allows you to use a smaller, lighter lens kit... And gives you full access to an expanded line of lenses. I.e., in the Canon system a cropper can use both EF and EF-S lenses. But FF is limited to only the EF lens choices.

On the other hand, the 5DII has about a one stop higher ISO advantage over the 7D (that's my estimate and opinion, some folks feel it's more)... And the FF camera's AF system will still work, albeit slowly, about 1 EV lower light than the 7D's. So, IMO, the 5DII is the better choice for more challenging low light shooting.

Dailydriver, a 50mm is always a 50mm. But that 50mm behaves differently on different image formats. When you change image format, any given focal length's Angle of View changes. That 50mm behaves as a "standard" lens on what we now call FF (24x36mm format). The same focal length on a "crop" camera that uses a smaller portion of the image circle projected by the lens behaves as if it's a short telephoto lens.

If Canon also made medium format cameras that could be fitted with the same lenses... say a 6x7 (image area 60x70mm approx.)... that same 50mm lens would be a super wide angle instead. Of course, this is merely theoretical because the lens would need to be significantly redesigned to offer up a large enough image circle to cover a 6x7cm image.

The corollary of the focal length discussion is that while that 50mm behaves as a short telephoto on that crop camera, approx. a 30mm becomes a "standard" lens on that camera (but would be a moderate wide angle on FF).

The only time you really need to worry about lens conversion factors is when switching between image formats. Someone who only uses the more common, so-called "crop" cameras that have the approx 15x22mm sensors, really only needs to worry about how lens focal lengths behave or perform on their particular camera. On the other hand, someone who uses a combination of formats or is making a change between image formats has to give the lens conversion factors some thought.

This isn't anything new and unique to digital cameras either... We had to do the same thing with film cameras in different formats. A "standard" lens for a 4x5" view camera is 180mm, for a 6x7cm medium format it's 90mm, for 645 (4.5x6cm) medium format it's 75mm, for 35mm film it's 50mm. And for so-called "half frame" cameras that make 18x24mm images on the same 35mm film, a standard lens is around 32mm.

As to the OP's original question, the 5DII's AF system isn't nearly as capable as the 7D's tracking moving subjects. Of course a 5DII can be used for sports and other action, but it will be more limiting (center AF point only), struggle more than 7D to maintain focus on subjects in AI Servo mode, and your "keeper rate" will be lower due to more missed focus shots. But you didn't mention what else you shoot or why you think FF might be a better choice for you... Only that you "shoot Formula 1 about twice a year". So I really can't say if 5DII would be a better choice for you. By the way, if you do make the switch, I bet you could rent a camera for those rare occasions where you need to shoot sports/action.

But there are other factors to consider, besides just AF performance. For many things the 5DII might be more desirable. Or it might not. If you never print any larger than, say, 13x19 and/or most of your use of your images is online at Internet resolutions, then the 5DII would more likely than not be wasted. On the other hand, if a lot of your shooting demands max image quality regardless, such as wedding work where there's a whole lot of intense competition for the business, then the FF camera might be best.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Canon_Shoe
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 10, 2012 12:42 |  #23

That may be, but the focal range is completely different on different bodies. You have to take a few steps back with a crop sensor to get the same perspective with a 50mm as you would find on a FF. My 100-400L lens is more useful on the 60D as compared to the 5DII. It's still 100-400 on both but 160-640mm on the 60D

Facebook-- http://www.facebook.co​m/AndrewShoemakerPhoto​graphy (external link)
Website----http://andrewshoemaker​photography.com/ (external link)
Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24, Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 VR, Nikon 70-200 VR II

newporthomie
Goldmember
4,175 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 10, 2012 14:02 |  #24

stillinamerica wrote in post #14058143 (external link)
Yes you will miss it. I made the switch. I need a second body and am torn between 7d and use 5d mk2

So was I, but picked up a 7D today

here todays test shot

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/6969546457_416dae6922_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47829441@N04/6​969546457/  (external link)
IMG_0015 (external link) by newporthomie (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7058/6969543729_536cc9d06b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47829441@N04/6​969543729/  (external link)
IMG_0008 (external link) by newporthomie (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/6969543735_3a94f7f784_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47829441@N04/6​969543735/  (external link)
IMG_0010 (external link) by newporthomie (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7037/6969546453_7e31323fae_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47829441@N04/6​969546453/  (external link)
IMG_0014 (external link) by newporthomie (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/6969546463_050786ea0f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47829441@N04/6​969546463/  (external link)
IMG_0016 (external link) by newporthomie (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7196/6969546475_42eb44a78f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47829441@N04/6​969546475/  (external link)
IMG_0019 (external link) by newporthomie (external link), on Flickr

sharky
THREAD ­ STARTER
353 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 10, 2012 16:59 |  #25

bobbyz wrote in post #14061248 (external link)
big subjects like track cars, planes are never a problem irrespective of how fast they going. The movement is quite predictable that even rebel shouldn't have issues.

The position might be quite predictable, but the movement definitely isn't. The best place to shoot race cars is at a corner, where the cars are inevitably accelerating or decelerating quite significantly (A Formula 1 for instance goes from 0-100 km/h in under 3 seconds). Having shot these things with a 10D, 30D, 50D and now a 7D, I can confidently say that the 7 is the only one that can produce consistently sharp shots. The others could certainly do it it, but with them I found I was deleting about 7 or 8 shots for every one I kept. With the 7D, the ratio is more like 3 discarded for every one keeper.

I think this is pertly due to the faster processors in the 7D, and also the ability to tweak the AF in terms of speed and accuracy. You also have the ability to program it to ignore objects coming between you and the target, which is an absolute godsend when trying to shoot through a fence.

Looking back over my shots from last year I'm actually having a hard time remembering why I was considering giving this camera up!

The ­ One ­ Pixel ­ Wonder
80 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 11, 2012 11:28 |  #26

sharky wrote in post #14057939 (external link)
While I can live with losing the fps, am I going to find a 5d2 nothing but frustration? I should point out that I was able to get some decent F1 photos using an ancient 10D, but my keeper rate was considerably lower than it is now with the 7D.

Thanks in advance.

It's actually not as bad as the many negative threads regarding the 5D Mark II focusing might have you believe. This is particularly true when you make the plunge expecting the focusing to be less accurate than on the 7D. After a few days with the 5D, I was actually surprised that so many people bash if for focusing - it's actually quite very good! You just have to be more careful with your technique, and of course you don't have the higher frame rate to fire away and hope for a great shot as you do on the 7D. If anything, the 7D to 5D upgrade feels really good as all your L lenses start behaving so much better - so much so that the less than stellar focusing (really just the lack of more cross-type sensors for easier framing) fades into oblivion after a while.

TOPW

sponsored links

3,509 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D to 5d2: Will I miss AF?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.