Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Mar 2012 (Monday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Better to have the wider aperture non IS or IS lens with narrower aperture?

bu75
45 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 12, 2012 10:06 |  #1

For instance, 70-200 f/4 IS or 70-200 f/2.8 non IS? Most of the use would primarily be outdoors. Isn't it true if your shooting outdoors in good light the IS doesn't really help a lot or am I mistaken?

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 12, 2012 10:14 |  #2

IS won't freeze action. 2.8 will

EDIT: Not to say /4 won't stop the action but you get an additional stop of light by going the 2.8

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

NicuB
82 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 12, 2012 10:18 |  #3

bu75 wrote in post #14071662 (external link)
For instance, 70-200 f/4 IS or 70-200 f/2.8 non IS? Most of the use would primarily be outdoors. Isn't it true if your shooting outdoors in good light the IS doesn't really help a lot or am I mistaken?

Can you still hold your camera O.K. after a couple of pints of beer? Then go for the f/2.8 .

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 12, 2012 10:25 |  #4

IS could buy you 3 stops of shutter speed versus just the one stop gained by f4 to f2.8. In addition, the IS helps you frame the shot as the image won't be jumping around as much in the viewfinder. However, if you need shutter speed to freeze action, then IS won't help you (except for panning in the newer versions of Canon's IS).

Would you use a monopod?

Photography is the art of exclusion

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 12, 2012 10:25 |  #5

Hand holding is pretty difficult with the 70-200/2.8 without a tripod or monopod. Im not exactly weak and didn't believe the whole "70-200/2.8 is heavy" and after a trip to the zoo i realized that **** is heavy after 2 hours let alone 5. my hands were sore driving back home 2 hours away.

the /4 IS is 27 oz
while the /2.8 is 46 oz

It might not seem like much but for carrying around, i'd take the /4 IS. If i were to do sports and not move around or have a monopod then the /2.8 definitely seems like the way to go.

Note: I only owned the 70-200/2.8 but i now own the 135 L and that weighs 26.5 oz and i could carry that thing for a week with no issue.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

720 views & 0 likes for this thread
Better to have the wider aperture non IS or IS lens with narrower aperture?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.