Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 09 Aug 2010 (Monday) 09:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: How to photograph a high school Senior

this thread is locked
GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 12, 2012 13:00 |  #6571

Im starting to offer HMUA, a few have asked about it. The one im going to recommend has her own salon and charges $75 to meet them where they are getting their pictures done and will meet me just about anywhere with no additional mileage fee's. Ive mentioned her to a couple so far but they have opted to have their own hair stylist do it or their mother. :)

Canon investor

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,972 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 12, 2012 13:15 |  #6572

stanclark wrote in post #14047748 (external link)
please don't take this the wrong way...I think its tacky to shoot a minor at or around a bar....use a nice restaurant or nice house...theater, exotic car...country clubs...

your shot was good....just not for kids...

That is in reference to the photo below.

The quote, and some other replies in this topic lead to the thought that high school senior photos need to fit a stereotype of sorts. How would you describe the stereotype, if that can be fenced-in with boundaries?

1. What should the background have or not have?

2. What should the subject be wearing or not wearing?

3. What should they be doing or not doing?

4. Why? What difference does it make?

:cool:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/6814556592_dcaa5b4151_b.jpg

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2012 14:04 |  #6573

mdvaden wrote in post #14072686 (external link)
The quote, and some other replies in this topic lead to the thought that high school senior photos need to fit a stereotype of sorts. How would you describe the stereotype, if that can be fenced-in with boundaries?

1. What should the background have or not have?

2. What should the subject be wearing or not wearing?

3. What should they be doing or not doing?

4. Why? What difference does it make?

:cool:

Its not about a stereotype, its about age appropriateness and the end use of the images. Generally high school seniors are 3 or 4 years away from the legal drinking age. So posing them in a bar would imply tacit approval of something they ideally shouldn't be doing. On top of that many of these students will want these photos included in their yearbook. It unlikely the editors/sponsors of the yearbook will endorse photos that imply a violation of drinking laws. The same goes to wardrobe. At 18 you can appear stark naked in playboy legally, but dont expect those same images to make the yearbook. There is a more subtle line between what constitutes an outfit or a pose that is too revealing or too sexual.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,684 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2012 14:12 |  #6574

gonzogolf wrote in post #14073027 (external link)
At 18 you can appear stark naked in playboy legally, but dont expect those same images to make the yearbook.

I assure you, they dont want me now.... nor did they want me then. :lol:

Shane
flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2012 14:14 |  #6575

JakAHearts wrote in post #14073077 (external link)
I assure you, they dont want me now.... nor did they want me then. :lol:

There is a reason some people are photographers and some people are models, lets leave those reasons unspoken for ego's sake.

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 12, 2012 14:15 |  #6576

gonzogolf wrote in post #14073087 (external link)
There is a reason some people are photographers and some people are models, lets leave those reasons unspoken for ego's sake.

hey i look good nekkid :cool:

:lol:

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2012 14:17 |  #6577

charro callado wrote in post #14073094 (external link)
hey i look good nekkid :cool:

:lol:

We will take that as stated, no need to provide proof....

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 12, 2012 14:50 |  #6578

Ok....shot this senior last week, wanted something kinda edgy and tough looking. Shot on white seamless, with no light on background.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,684 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 12, 2012 14:53 |  #6579

Cool Jay, I like it!

Shane
flickr (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
10,598 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 12, 2012 15:32 as a reply to  @ JakAHearts's post |  #6580

Regarding the bar shot.

While it might not work in the states, it may be perfectly acceptable for a European country. This picture was taken in a country where the age to drink is 18 and its not deemed as inappropriate in those cultures v/s those in the states. As i have stated through out this thread

Set your moral standards and stick by them.

Know what your yearbook staff will and will not allow. Do not deviate from your own moral compass under any circumstance and you will have nothing to worry about.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jmalonear
651 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 12, 2012 15:33 |  #6581

JakAHearts wrote in post #14073299 (external link)
Cool Jay, I like it!

Thanks!

Friends call me Jay!
Gear: Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 70D | Canon 50D w/grip|Canon 10D|Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS|Canon 24-70mm 2.8L|
Facebook (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2012 15:38 |  #6582

umphotography wrote in post #14073481 (external link)
Regarding the bar shot.

While it might not work in the states, it may be perfectly acceptable for a European country. This picture was taken in a country where the age to drink is 18 and its not deemed as inappropriate in those cultures v/s those in the states. As i have stated through out this thread

Set your moral standards and stick by them.

Know what your yearbook staff will and will not allow. Do not deviate from your own moral compass under any circumstance and you will have nothing to worry about.

Nitpicky point. The photo was taken in the U.S.. She is an exchange student where the legal age is 18. I have no problem accomdating her under those circumstances, but I wouldnt expect the shots to be used in any official capacity in relation to her exchange student at her host school.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,972 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 12, 2012 17:39 |  #6583

gonzogolf wrote in post #14073027 (external link)
Its not about a stereotype, its about age appropriateness and the end use of the images. Generally high school seniors are 3 or 4 years away from the legal drinking age. So posing them in a bar would imply tacit approval of something they ideally shouldn't be doing.

I think it may be very much stereotype.

I'd wager a bet that others are betterthan 50% likely to say that a firearm photo is not age-appropriate or fit for a high school senior photo. Dispute that premise? But thousands of youth around the USA use firearms, even from grade school age.

Personally, I think the stereotype for high school seniors is what adults deem to be "politically correct" in some regards.

For example, I'd expect no person to squawk about a high school senior in a photo holding a football or wearing a jersey and helmet. But if that same student was involved with marksmanship during after school time, would a photo with a scoped 7mm mag be viewed equally.

This also introduces whether high school senior photos are to represent the senior's age and their day to day living, or, the senior more closely pertaining to high school itself, and school sanctioned activities.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 12, 2012 23:24 |  #6584

Ultimately who are you taking the photos for?

Then make them happy.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

jsvphoto
789 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 12, 2012 23:47 |  #6585

I agree with this, given it fits within your own personal ethics as well.

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

sponsored links

2,680,272 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to photograph a high school Senior
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.