Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 12 Mar 2012 (Monday) 09:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark II Future Prices (Need Advice)

fibrepunk
461 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 12, 2012 15:47 |  #16

if I am in your shoes, I would get more glasses before I move to full frame. But if you really want full frame, be patient. There was a recent deal where you can get the 5DII KIT with the 24-105 f4L lens for $2499 on eBay from Beach Camera. Just be patient and you will get a good deal.

My Gears l HeatWare (external link)
- For Sale: Broken cameras for CLP

sponsored links
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,284 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 12, 2012 16:06 |  #17

fibrepunk wrote in post #14073583 (external link)
if I am in your shoes, I would get more glasses before I move to full frame. But if you really want full frame, be patient. There was a recent deal where you can get the 5DII KIT with the 24-105 f4L lens for $2499 on eBay from Beach Camera. Just be patient and you will get a good deal.

They've probably halted manufacture of the 5D2, so too patient and it might be too late.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 12, 2012 16:10 |  #18

RDKirk wrote in post #14073661 (external link)
They've probably halted manufacture of the 5D2, so too patient and it might be too late.

This! I assume a very good number of crop shooters has jumped into the full frame scene immediately after Canon announced the 5DMIII. It's quite hard to tell right now how many more 5D2 units are in their warehouse but I believe as soon as these units are completely sold, great 5D2 deals will be quite hard to find and everyone will be paying $2000+ again for a body only.

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,741 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2012 16:46 |  #19

RDKirk wrote in post #14073661 (external link)

Nope. According to Chuck Westfall, the 5D2 is staying in production for the time being. Now, granted, that doesn't mean it wont be out the day after the 5D3 comes out, but people that aren't blown away by the 5D3 are going to be more than happy to spend less to get a BNIB 5D2.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 12, 2012 17:04 |  #20

Mistabernie wrote in post #14073848 (external link)
Nope. According to Chuck Westfall, the 5D2 is staying in production for the time being. Now, granted, that doesn't mean it wont be out the day after the 5D3 comes out, but people that aren't blown away by the 5D3 are going to be more than happy to spend less to get a BNIB 5D2.

That's probably smokescreen to help sell the remaining 5D2 for this year? Announcing the 5D2 as a discontinued body will drive down its value. With this strategy, Canon continues to sell some of its existing 5D2 units while maximizing profit. My guess, of course.

Mistabernie
2,741 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2012 17:10 |  #21

I still feel like they'll be able to sell the 5D2 for a while without much issue. Granted I'm just a GWC (in this case, guy with computer) but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to stop producing a body that will still be pretty usable, especially if the $3500 price tag of the 5Diii puts it out of reach of the people that don't shoot professionally but want the 'latest and greatest'.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,284 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 12, 2012 17:31 |  #22

Mistabernie wrote in post #14073848 (external link)

"The time being" can be pretty short--probably until they start the 5D3 production line. I can't imagine they will continue both models at the same time.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Mistabernie
2,741 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 12, 2012 17:36 |  #23

I'd be willing to bet they continue to make 5D2s thru the end of the year. What I'd bet, I'm not sure..

justinp85
252 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 12, 2012 17:37 |  #24

eye2i wrote in post #14073930 (external link)
That's probably smokescreen to help sell the remaining 5D2 for this year? Announcing the 5D2 as a discontinued body will drive down its value. With this strategy, Canon continues to sell some of its existing 5D2 units while maximizing profit. My guess, of course.

+1. it doesn't make sense for them to continue to make the mark ii when they ideally want people to buy the mark iii. it is the replacement after all (not an addition).

when they will stop making will be related to how much demand there is for the mark iii.

24-105L + 50mm 1.8 + 430EX II

av8r
528 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 12, 2012 17:49 |  #25

dadgummit wrote in post #14073357 (external link)
I am willing to bet the 5d2 prices go up in the next couple of months just like the 70-200 F2.8 IS I went up in price when the Mark II came out.

I'm banking on this happening. I fully expect the used prices to head north once the initial rush of people jumping to the MKIII is over.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,602 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 12, 2012 17:58 |  #26

Mistabernie wrote in post #14074085 (external link)
I'd be willing to bet they continue to make 5D2s thru the end of the year. What I'd bet, I'm not sure..

I'm guess that actual production of the MkII has stopped and all the cameras that are going to be built are in some warehouse somewhere and all the MkII lines are being converted to MkIII lines.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

bruceq
108 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 12, 2012 18:03 |  #27

justinp85 wrote in post #14074090 (external link)
+1. it doesn't make sense for them to continue to make the mark ii when they ideally want people to buy the mark iii. it is the replacement after all (not an addition).

If this statement were true they wouldn't be selling the T2i and T3i at the same time.

Cameras - 5D MkII/Grip, 7D/Grip, T1i/Grip
Lens - EF-S 10-22, EF-S 18-55, EF 35-70, EF-S 55-250, EF 17-40L, EF 24-105L IS, EF 70-200 2.8L IS, EF 70-210, EF 100-400L, Sigma 150-500 OS, EF 100L IS, EF 180L, EF 85 1.8, EF 50 1.8

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,602 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 12, 2012 18:05 |  #28

bruceq wrote in post #14074246 (external link)
If this statement were true they wouldn't be selling the T2i and T3i at the same time.

Selling and making are different things. They will continue selling until all stock is sold.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

fibrepunk
461 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 12, 2012 18:18 |  #29

In the meantime, I will recommend, look at glasses until the body situations all sorted themselves out.

My Gears l HeatWare (external link)
- For Sale: Broken cameras for CLP

av8r
528 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 12, 2012 18:23 |  #30

Unless you change brands you cannot go wrong with better glass. There will always be MKII bodies available...even new units.

Cameras and lenses...
My Gear

sponsored links

4,823 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark II Future Prices (Need Advice)
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.