Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 09 Mar 2012 (Friday) 08:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

For the world travelers out there...

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 13, 2012 09:21 |  #16

Depends on where you are and where you need to go. how many countries does it need to cover?

Generally speaking the product you are looking at, is really intended for those who are going to be using it quite a lot (where it is a major part of the vacation concept). And for that, it can be very cheap.
But for the most part, you are better of buying individual tickets where you are, when you need them. There is some money to be saved by booking individual train tickets in advance, but rarely enough to to make it worth sacrificing the flexibility of just buying them on the spot.

Also, you need to remember that prices are generally higher here (the average income is higher as well so it evens out).

sponsored links
thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 14, 2012 19:13 |  #17

Going for only 10 days is a bit of a waste. Plan for longer than that. Three weeks would be a good start.

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 14, 2012 23:25 |  #18

thedge wrote in post #14087640 (external link)
Going for only 10 days is a bit of a waste. Plan for longer than that. Three weeks would be a good start.

I've been on several 10 day trips over the past few yrs and found that to be a great time frame. It's all about planning and setting a budget

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

dan.k78
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 15, 2012 06:36 |  #19

A bit of a waste? I don't see how that would be true. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to plan a European Odyssey, but that just isn't practical for me (or for 99% of other people I would imagine). Between funding (based on some of the prices I've been perusing a trip like that would be so insanely expensive I'd be in the poor house) and my wife getting almost a month of time off (I'm a teacher so summertime I'm free as a bird) jetting off to Europe for anything more than 10 days or even 2 weeks max would be darn near impossible. I look at it as going for 10 days is better than not going at all.

Gear: 5DIII; 6D; Canon 16-35 f/4L; Canon 24-70II f/2.8L, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC; Sigma 35mm f/1.4A; Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro; Phottix Mitros+;580exii; Metz AF 50-1

squashed
Goldmember
4,274 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 15, 2012 07:08 |  #20

Been to Europe many times in recent memory for vacation, And my wife and I will be going back in September. From my experience 10 days will be just fine, but you will start planning your trip BACK to Europe when you get home. (It's that addicting) We are going back to Paris, then a few days in the French Riviera, a weekend in Venice and then going to Barcelona for 4 nights before we come home. Two weeks total. Looking at your criteria , Paris is screaming at you to come visit. The city of light is a beautiful place , it blew me away enough to where I'm going back , and that is rare for me with all the other places on my bucket list. I would plan on at least 4 or 5 days in Paris.Then if you would like to relax, fly off to somewhere quiet for a few days before you come back. For my wife and I when we travel to Europe , the "relaxing" starts when we get back home... There is just too much to see and do in Europe.

Done with Numbers. Own the X and the R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

dan.k78
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 15, 2012 07:18 |  #21

Yep, I am definitely not a sit by the pool all day kinda guy. I'm not a vacation commando either mind you, but I love wandering around going to see the sights and eat the local food. In my opinion, Anthony Bourdain has one of the best jobs in the world!

Gear: 5DIII; 6D; Canon 16-35 f/4L; Canon 24-70II f/2.8L, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC; Sigma 35mm f/1.4A; Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro; Phottix Mitros+;580exii; Metz AF 50-1

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 15, 2012 11:52 |  #22

dan.k78 wrote in post #14077218 (external link)
This is all really great info! Thanks again. I've got a feeling that (because it'd all be new to us), that we wouldn't be disappointed with anywhere we decide to go.
While I have your ears and eyes, can anyone shed some light on train travel in Europe? I went to the Eurorail site and prices seemed outrageous for multi day passes. What would be the best way to travel around once there? Thanks.

We've used trains, they're efficient, comfortable and you don't have to park them when you get where you're going. The pass is a good deal, but only if you're going to be moving around a lot. I've hitchhiked there too, but not in many years. It was easy to get rides and you will meet some interesting people.

sponsored links

2,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
For the world travelers out there...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.