Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Mar 2012 (Monday) 10:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with game plan for lenses

hoamskilet
42 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 12, 2012 10:48 |  #1

I'll try to make this as short as possible. Current equipment looks like this:

XTi, 18-55 kit lens, 50mm 1.8, Promaster (think tamron made it) 70-300

I'm very much an amateur, but would like to slowly start upgrading my lenses. Basically what I want to do is set a plan for future purchases so I end up with a few good lenses that cover most of what I'll use them for without ending up with overlap/more lenses than I need.

The bulk of my shooting these days revolves around my 2 year old daughter, but I also enjoy cars, aviation, landscape, etc...when I get the time.

My most immediate upgrade (which inspired this post) will be the kit lens. We're taking a trip to Disney at the end of the month, so I'd like to get a good lens for that trip pretty quick here. I'd like to get a good "walk around" lens with IS and was leaning heavily towards the Sigma 17-50 2.8. I'm planning on taking all of the lenses with us, but guessing the majority of the time I'll be using the 17-50 and maybe the 50mm for some night time stuff. Thoughts/suggestions?

Next on the agenda down the road sometime is supplementing the 50mm with something wider. The 50mm is a nice little lens, especially for the price, but I find that I don't use it as much as I thought I was going to inside due to 50mm being a bit too long. So the goal here is a good lens for indoors which obviously doesn't have a ton of light.

The 70-300 will eventually be upgraded to something better, but that will probably be the last to get an upgrade.

So to sum up what I'm looking for advice wise is

1: Am I on target in regards to the upgrade to my walk around lens for our disney trip (and everything after of course)

2: Am I missing something in regards to the collection of lenses. It's going to take a long time to upgrade everything, so my main concern is in regards to the focal lengths of my intended future purchases as opposed to any specific lens that's out at the moment

Thanks for any help

sponsored links
HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 12, 2012 12:11 |  #2

I've been using Canon's 15-85mm IS lens for two years on first an original Rebel and then my 60D. It is a fantastic lens for about 90% of my shooting. For low light, I use flash if possible, or else high ISO (which the 60D handles very well). On my recent trip to Peru and Machu Picchu, I only took the 15-85, and I didn't miss a shot!

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

hoamskilet
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 13, 2012 10:10 |  #3

anybody else have any thoughts?

vpman
41 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 13, 2012 10:16 as a reply to  @ hoamskilet's post |  #4

I love my 24-70 and looking to get 135 f2l next.

The ­ One ­ Pixel ­ Wonder
80 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 13, 2012 10:23 |  #5

hoamskilet wrote in post #14071862 (external link)
So to sum up what I'm looking for advice wise is

1: Am I on target in regards to the upgrade to my walk around lens for our disney trip (and everything after of course)

2: Am I missing something in regards to the collection of lenses. It's going to take a long time to upgrade everything, so my main concern is in regards to the focal lengths of my intended future purchases as opposed to any specific lens that's out at the moment

Thanks for any help

If you are working on a long term plan, I would say you should start thinking of whether you might want to go full frame in the near future before investing much in EF-S lenses. If you do not see yourself going full frame (most people do) then a great walk around lens to invest in would be the Canon 17-55 f2.8 - a great lens but it's EF-S so will not work on your full frame in the future.

TOPW

hoamskilet
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 13, 2012 14:25 |  #6

The One Pixel Wonder wrote in post #14078017 (external link)
If you are working on a long term plan, I would say you should start thinking of whether you might want to go full frame in the near future before investing much in EF-S lenses. If you do not see yourself going full frame (most people do) then a great walk around lens to invest in would be the Canon 17-55 f2.8 - a great lens but it's EF-S so will not work on your full frame in the future.

Good advice. I'd have to say I don't really envision myself going full frame (how many times has that been said on here haha). It's gonna be forever and a day before my abilities outgrow my XTi and quite frankly I don't have the money or time to invest in making moving up to full frame worth it. Thanks for the advice

hoamskilet
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 13, 2012 15:03 |  #7

Damn you......now you have me thinking if I would ever consider moving up some day haha

The ­ One ­ Pixel ­ Wonder
80 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 13, 2012 16:43 |  #8

hoamskilet wrote in post #14079581 (external link)
Damn you......now you have me thinking if I would ever consider moving up some day haha

hahahaha I never thought I would when I justified investing in the 17-55, but then the L bug bit me and, oh well, I am happier - at least I have very successfully convinced myself so :)

TOPW

sponsored links

1,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with game plan for lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.