TripleG wrote in post #14079071
I will probably sell my 24-70 for the new version as well but why would you do it before getting the new one when you apparently have a need for it right now? It's perfectly fine to sell it off because you want to go with primes but you make it sound like the 50L/85L will only be a stop gap measure to get you to where you really want to be, a 24-70 II. Also, why wait a year for the price to maybe drop a couple hundred when you already have the money for a 85L?
Good question. It all boils down to a theory I have that I might be proven wrong on. If so, then no big deal. But I suspect that the price of the Mk1 24-70 will begin to fall once the Mk2 comes out. By selling now I am essentially "locking in" what I have invested in this lens, coming away with exactly what I paid for it over a year ago, before the price falls. I hope to invest in the 50L or 85L and keep it until the price comes down on the Mk2 version of the 24-70, gambling that the market will remain a bit more stable on the 50L or 85L and thus protecting the amount I have invested.
This all sounds good in theory, but may prove flawed in reality. But hey, at least I'll get to play with a great new lens in the meantime!