Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 10 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 05:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Transferring Videos to Computer 'Loses' Date/Time they were shot (ELPH 300)

eepruls
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 10, 2012 05:35 |  #1

Hi,

I'm new to Canon and have a question about my Canon ELPH 300 camera that I bought at Christmas. The photos and videos when viewed on the memory card in the camera (i.e. before transfer to my computer) have a date and time when they were shot on them like any digital file does. Thus, I can see that one photo was taken on Feb. 1 at 12:32pm and the next video shot on Feb. 1 at 12:45pm.

When I transfer my photos, the date/time they were shot is transferred to my computer so I can see when they were shot ("Date Taken"). The videos however, 'lose' the date/time they were shot ("Date Created") and suddenly all get dated and timed as the moment I UPLOADED them ("Date Modified").

The videos therefore have a creation date and a date modified of when I uploaded them. The creation date indicated on my computer is NOT when I shot them. This is annoying me because the video still has the date/time it was actually shot/created on the memory card (i.e. when previewing the video). I like to see when my videos are shot such as when I go on vacation. I don't want all my videos to be dated/timed on my computer as the date/time I transferred them to my computer (i.e. when I got home from vacation). My old Samsung camera kept the proper date/time on both my images and videos of when they were shot.

To transfer my photos/videos, I just plug in the USB cable and pull them into a folder. I've never encountered this problem before where videos, and only videos, 'lose' the date/time they were created when transferring.

Can anyone offer any ideas? It's really annoying to see all my videos have creation dates/times that are all the exact same (the time I uploaded them). I want to know when I shot the darn video!

THANKS!

sponsored links
lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 10, 2012 15:09 |  #2

I know you will get better answers than this, but here goes anyway.

I don't think you are losing anything when you transfer them. The photos have the date/time they were taken embedded in the files (as part of the EXIF information). If you are using Windows (you didn't say), Windows Explorer knows how to read EXIF from JPEG images and will display that time instead of the file modification time as "Date picture taken".

Your video files also have the date/time they were taken embedded in the files, but Windows Explorer does not know how to read this information, so it just displays the file modification time. There are tools you can use to see the information (for example: exiftool) but I don't know how to see it in Windows.

eepruls
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 12, 2012 00:03 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #3

I have Windows 7 and have never had an issue with seeing the creation time from videos or any file for that matter. My computer displays the proper creation time for videos from my Samsung digital camera (.mp4) as well as a JVC camcorder. I just stick in the USB cable and pull the photo/video files over.

What is different about the video files on the Canon digital camera that causes Windows 7 to not see/display the time they were shot? I know that when I first got the camera the instructions said something about using some Canon sync program to transfer files to the computer but I don't like automatic syncing. And even if one MUST use this program, why do images display the proper creation date/time when they were shot but not videos?

I really hope I can solve this because ALL my videos get stamped with the date/time I uploaded them. So, if I had a bunch of videos on my memory card for a week after an event, when I pull them over to the computer it looks like they were all created at the exact same time a week after the event. It's fine in the short-term, but long-term, it screws up the ability to see when something was shot.

Please help! Is this just me or something that every Canon person just has to accept?

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 13, 2012 19:13 |  #4

There are at least 3 ways to transfer images and videos to your PC - have you tried all 3? Possibly one way will work better for you. 1) USB cable, copy the files from the camera with Explorer. 2) USB cable, use the Canon-supplied software (ZoomBrowser?) to transfer the files from the camera. 3) Use a card reader, such as a USB-connected external card reader; put your memory card in the reader and copy the files using Explorer from the card reader.

For one PowerShot I saw, Canon says you must use (2) for videos or "the movies will not transfer correctly". I don't really believe this, but still...

eepruls
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 14, 2012 02:24 |  #5

lar55 wrote in post #14081167 (external link)
For one PowerShot I saw, Canon says you must use (2) for videos or "the movies will not transfer correctly". I don't really believe this, but still...

Now that you mention it, I recall reading that in the manual. I assumed it was bull and that they were just trying to get you to use their software. The videos transfer fine but perhaps this program is required to keep the proper creation date. I will give it a try (as well as putting the memory card directly into the slot on my hard drive) and let you know!

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 14, 2012 02:53 |  #6

interesting, i just checked on os x, no creation date for my SX230hs files, just modified date. although modified date/time is the actual create date and time. iknow this because the modified date and time is consistent with the photos i took around that time. i used LR3 for import, so these files shouldnt be modified as LR3 is non destructive.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 14, 2012 16:53 |  #7

Sorry, my mistake. I don't use Windows regularly, but I should have tried this before posting. When I drag-and-drop files from a Powershot onto a Windows XP PC using Explorer, I do get the correct date/time stamps on the files ("Date Modified") - both JPEG and MOV movies. It's true that Windows Explorer cannot view any extended "properties" on the MOV files (because it doesn't understand the file format), and it can on the JPEG files. But it does get the date/time correct on all of the files.

So either something is different with your ELPH 300S, or Windows 7... or something else. I can't think of anything else I can try to help you narrow it down.

(For info, I use Linux, and the date/time stamps are correct when I copy files from my camera - but only during Standard Time. Now that we switched to Daylight Saving Time (summer time), the date/time stamps are one hour ahead on the uploaded files. Go figure.)

eepruls
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 13, 2012 02:46 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #8

I found a solution and thought I'd come back and post it.

When you connect the USB cable, Windows 7 pops up that device screen about the device (Manage media on your device, Browse files, Change settings, and Import Pictures and Videos). You MUST use the Import Pictures and Videos link to import your photos/videos. Doing this keeps the appropriate date/time on the file. Just pulling them over to your computer like your would any other file on a storage device loses this info. This must be something with Canon cameras.

Anyways, my videos now have the date and time when they were shot! Yipee!

sponsored links

7,711 views & 0 likes for this thread
Transferring Videos to Computer 'Loses' Date/Time they were shot (ELPH 300)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.