Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 12 Mar 2012 (Monday) 21:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

lightroom 4 video question

dou_b_14
955 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 12, 2012 21:47 |  #1

I like the ease of use in lightroom 4 to do basic vibrance and exposure changes on videos, but if I take it into sony vegas to do cuts and transitions will the quality be reduced once I export from there after exporting from LR4?

Canon 5d w/grip / canon 7d/ canon G1X/ 24-70mm 2.8 L/ 17-40mm L/ 50mm 1.4/(2)580ex/ pw's (3) /st-e2/ (2)cp-e3 battery pack/ abr800/ vagabond 2/ calumet genesis 200w(2)/

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,892 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 13, 2012 13:32 |  #2

Since Lightroom is by nature a non-destructive editor I would think not. However video editing is a new addition for it and since it just came out not much is known or out there on it yet. That being said Id be willing to bet that if exporting (or editing in an external application) to an application thats not an adobe product, the edits and/or changes made in Lightroom to the video probably have to be processed in and then the output is fed to the external application which yea, probably would reduce quality a bit. It would probably be best to use Lightroom 4 with Premiere Pro CS5.5 for working with videos.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

dou_b_14
THREAD ­ STARTER
955 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 13, 2012 13:38 |  #3

Thanks! I found out that sony doesn't work with videos output from lightroom 4. The application completely shuts down on me. This really is a bummer, but I guess now I have a reason to buy the adobe suite for video production.

Canon 5d w/grip / canon 7d/ canon G1X/ 24-70mm 2.8 L/ 17-40mm L/ 50mm 1.4/(2)580ex/ pw's (3) /st-e2/ (2)cp-e3 battery pack/ abr800/ vagabond 2/ calumet genesis 200w(2)/

ben_r_
15,892 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 13, 2012 14:46 |  #4

Do it! Its very nice how more and more its all getting integrated together!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sticknpuck
205 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 14, 2012 01:32 |  #5

dou_b_14 wrote in post #14079104 (external link)
Thanks! I found out that sony doesn't work with videos output from lightroom 4. The application completely shuts down on me. This really is a bummer, but I guess now I have a reason to buy the adobe suite for video production.

Thanks for posting your experiences with video from LR4. I was thinking of upgrading for the video color correction alone but I also use Vegas Pro 10 so that won't fly. I have Premiere Pro as well but just can't get my head around it. It feels more powerful but I am a hobbyist and really don't have the time to invest in figuring it out - it is completely different from vegas and a big jump technically.

Matt
flickr (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 14, 2012 01:42 |  #6

Generally speaking, simply passing digital video files from application to application should have little to no effect on the quality.

If you start compressing from one app to another, then you can start to see signal quality degradation!

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

dou_b_14
THREAD ­ STARTER
955 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 14, 2012 18:21 |  #7

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14083111 (external link)
Generally speaking, simply passing digital video files from application to application should have little to no effect on the quality.

If you start compressing from one app to another, then you can start to see signal quality degradation!

You're absolutely right about this...the only problem I'm having is that some files that are exported from lightroom cause sony vegas pro 11 to crash when I try to import them. Not all of them, but some do. I can't figure this out. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

I exported them in the h.264 format and then tried the DPX format but that format doesn't give me anything but files. So i guess im stuck with the h.264 but it's not working well for me.

yummy_waffles
428 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 23, 2012 23:37 |  #8

Hey dou_b_14! Like you, I enjoy the ease of simple color correcting in Lightroom 4. I export my footage as H.264, but I'm not sure which Sequence Preset to select in Premiere Pro. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The Perfect Pear (external link)
www.danekhy.com (external link)

robfas
111 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 25, 2012 02:30 as a reply to  @ yummy_waffles's post |  #9

The possibilities of color grading of the video is huge , easy and impressive but i have some doubts about the quality of the exported movie files...the size is about the half of the original file. Therefore LR4 use H264 to compress the addition of original and the quick develop treatment. Please anyone can confirm the quality of the exported files ?

Roberto Fasulo
http://www.robertofasu​lo.com (external link)

dou_b_14
THREAD ­ STARTER
955 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 25, 2012 10:05 |  #10

robfas wrote in post #14148599 (external link)
The possibilities of color grading of the video is huge , easy and impressive but i have some doubts about the quality of the exported movie files...the size is about the half of the original file. Therefore LR4 use H264 to compress the addition of original and the quick develop treatment. Please anyone can confirm the quality of the exported files ?

I do see not see any quality loss from exporting from lr4. Color grading makes so much sense in lr4 as a photographer first!

greenman70
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 04, 2012 19:12 |  #11

but can someone say how to send videos marked with an in and out point in lightroom 4 to premiere pro? premiere seems to only import from bridge and there i cant set i o point.

i want to go thru footage quickly, mark in out points, and easily access prepared , tagged and previewed footage in premiere

ben_r_
15,892 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 05, 2012 11:08 |  #12

Im not sure Lightroom 4 does work with premiere pro...

Chopper ­ Al
743 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 07, 2012 22:26 |  #13

I use Sony Vegas Pro 7 all the time and absolutely love it. Couldn't you do your edits first and then do the rest in Lightroom?

Al

dou_b_14
THREAD ­ STARTER
955 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 08, 2012 09:51 |  #14

Chopper Al wrote in post #14228028 (external link)
I use Sony Vegas Pro 7 all the time and absolutely love it. Couldn't you do your edits first and then do the rest in Lightroom?

Al

I had not thought of this! I ended up buying a converter and it worked really good. But now this could be an option for others. Thanks for the suggestion

sponsored links

2,798 views & 0 likes for this thread
lightroom 4 video question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.