Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 14, 2012 05:26 |  #3541

KCY wrote in post #14083519 (external link)
Well AF has always been firmware limited, this can be proven quite easily with a none reporting TC.

a camera can attempt to AF at any aperture if it really wanted too. However with smaller apertures it would probably be unlikely to succeed unless you were focusing on the sun at noon.

Now for the 1Dx it would most likely be limited by Firmware, therefore accuracy probably won't be any better than before the firmware change. However how accurate was previous 1D at f/8?

I don't think canon was being dishonest mearly that they felt that accuracy at f/8 was not good enough for there standards.

Obviously it was a firmware fix. I think KCY was spot on with this sentence ^ :cool:
I was happy before, and I'm even happier now :D

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

sponsored links
KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 14, 2012 05:29 |  #3542

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14083563 (external link)
It's funny because I've gone to pretty good lengths to explain the depth and breadth of knowledge available here and even those members who are hip to places like DPReview and Photocamel can't quite wrap their brains around POTN and why it could benefit them.

Oh well...

You can lead a photographer to the web...

You can lead a photographer to the web but you can't stop them moaning :p

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 14, 2012 05:33 |  #3543

KCY wrote in post #14083592 (external link)
You can lead a photographer to the web but you can't stop them moaning :p

I think people simply develop loyalties based on positive experiences.

I've met many shooters who use DPReview and Fred Miranda because they got their first "solid" dSLR info from those sites.

Sorry for the derailment. Please, contine...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 14, 2012 05:39 |  #3544

Well assuming it was a firmware fix then it will be interesting to see the 'birders' results.

I suspect that it will be like the focus points on the 5D2.

I still think it's going to be a beast of a camera. By the time it gets here the web will be full of D4 images at ISO 8 billion - oh and STUPID unboxing videos.

Möntgomery
114 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 14, 2012 05:43 |  #3545
bannedPermanent ban

Candersson wrote in post #14083587 (external link)
Obviously it was a firmware fix. I think KCY was spot on with this sentence ^ :cool:
I was happy before, and I'm even happier now :D

Firmware fixes, fix bug's within the firmware. Firmware bug's however don't make their way on to the spec sheet, and then suddenly change to match an announcement of a competitors spec sheet.

Doesn't the 5Diii have the same AF system? Does that have F8 focusing?

IMAGE: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b40Yozvb3M4/TkdCJzN2QLI/AAAAAAAAMfA/LP7KaMd5PRg/s1600/See-no-evil-hear-no-evil-speak-no-evil.jpg

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 14, 2012 06:01 |  #3546

Möntgomery wrote in post #14083629 (external link)
Firmware fixes, fix bug's within the firmware. Firmware bug's however don't make their way on to the spec sheet, and then suddenly change to match an announcement of a competitors spec sheet.

Doesn't the 5Diii have the same AF system? Does that have F8 focusing?

I'm not really sure where you are going with this.
With my "firmware fix" I meant that they fixed the issue/option/feature or whatever you would like to call it, by altering the software.

Again, I'm happy that Canon decided to make it possible to use the f8 focusing.
The reason for them to make this decision is another topic that probably never will be known to any of us, even though one could speculate.
Enough said

BTW - Welcome to POTN

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 14, 2012 06:03 |  #3547

The f/8 feature has been probably there, firmware fix can mean anything. Turning on and off feature is one of them :). The news wasn't new though, it was already at least 2 months old.

Candersson wrote in post #14083667 (external link)
I'm not really sure where you are going with this.
With my "firmware fix" I meant that they fixed the issue/option/feature or whatever you would like to call it, by altering the software.

The reason for them to make this decision is another topic that probably never will be known to any of us, even though one could speculate.
Enough said

BTW - Welcome to POTN

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Möntgomery
114 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 14, 2012 06:04 |  #3548
bannedPermanent ban

Candersson wrote in post #14083667 (external link)

No one is arguing that, just that it should have been there to begin with, rather than it take an announcement of a competitors product before they are suddenly able to 'enable' that feature.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 14, 2012 07:47 |  #3549

momentz wrote in post #14083317 (external link)
I have just had it confirmed to me by Canon NZ that the 1DX has been firmware updated to enable focusing at f8!!

If this is true that means that their initial plans were to claim it wasn't possible and hopefully force people into much more expensive glass than they would otherwise need. Not really a surprise to me considering the tremendous price increases on their fast telephotos and updated super telephotos.

Flickr (external link)

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 14, 2012 07:56 |  #3550

FWIW, I do make my Canons autofocus at apertures they shouldn't AF on (by way of a Kenso extender which doesn't tell the camera about the f-stops it stole).

If there is enough light it works just fine. You just need a lot more. If not, well at some point f/4 AF stops working, too.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 14, 2012 07:57 |  #3551

fitshaced wrote in post #14082687 (external link)
Silly question, but how come there is no mode dial on the top of the 1DX?

Reminds me to ask, is it known yet how they will have the equivalent of C1/C2/C3 selectable with the buttons?

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,865 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 14, 2012 09:02 |  #3552

Methodical wrote in post #14080223 (external link)
The 400 2.8 and 2x is f5.6 and not f8

sorry. didnt realize it had a TC on it:o

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,865 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 14, 2012 09:18 as a reply to  @ post 14083468 |  #3553

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that i think KCbrown was in the right ballpark with his assumption about the F/8 issue and the telephotos.

My guess is that a lot of canon shooters on their staffs over the years pointed out that they are gonna loose a bunch of people if the have to upgrade a 7K 300 F/2.8 lens to an 11.5K 400mm F/2.8 lens for the same FOV for the guys that are heavily invested in previous 1D 1.3 format cameras.....Myself included. Now they can put a TC on and have F/4 and it should be pretty darn quick........Who the heck can afford the jump in glass prices unless they are corporate backed. A 300 F/2.8 is a stretch for the majority. I can afford one so i rent when i need it. Plus who the hell want to drag around a 4010 F/2.8.....I sure sheck dont want to break my back everytime i need it.

Canon had to fix this and im sure they got a lot a negative feedback about this very issue........glad its fixed

How can you possibly put out a game changer camera and say,,,sorry no F/8.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,668 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 14, 2012 09:45 |  #3554

fitshaced wrote in post #14082719 (external link)
Cool, I hate it when I'm chasing the pulitzer winning shot that I accidentally switch to bulb mode. Happens every day.

Thanks for the info.

IMAGE: http://i.qkme.me/3ob350.jpg

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

The ­ One ­ Pixel ­ Wonder
80 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 14, 2012 11:09 |  #3555

B&H is taking pre-orders now! $6800

TOPW

sponsored links

576,767 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.