Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 13 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 22:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trip around Lake Michigan - destination recommendations

kristin6
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 13, 2012 22:09 |  #1

I'm in need of a vacation. An 18 month consulting gig is winding up at the end of June, so I plan to take the first 1-2 weeks in July off. I thought it would be nice to drive around the lake. I've never been to the UP or Door county. This also gives me flexibility, so if the project gets pushed out, I can delay the trip by a couple of weeks if needed. And if I am finished and have no next job lined up there is no reason to rush back.

I plan to leave Chicago towards Indiana / Michigan and work my way up along the coast to the U.P. and over the top retuning through Wisconsin. I know I'd like to shoot at the dunes on the south lake for a couple of days. I'd love to catch a storm coming across the lake from Chicago to Michigan right around sunset. I think I'll hug the lake making my way through the U.P. That's a big territory. Do you recommend any particular spots?

Also, I'll be lodging (indoors) along the way and welcome recommendations on hotels and non-creepy motels.

sponsored links
Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 13, 2012 22:21 |  #2

I like silver beach in St Joseph, MI http://maps.google.com …errien,+Michiga​n&t=h&z=17 (external link)

that's the cool place too - http://www.meijergarde​ns.org/ (external link)

and check out http://www.mackinacisl​and.org/ (external link)

krs2fer
176 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 13, 2012 22:42 |  #3

I've never done that "loop" trip myself but I've read reports of lots of people taking the trip on motorcycles and they all seemed to have enjoyed the ride.
You might find this site interesting; http://www.openroadjou​rney.com/loadroute.asp​?rid=3377 (external link).
Maybe you could make a photo blog about it here. I for one would like to see some photos of the trip.
Good luck and safe journey.

Hoosier ­ Writer
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 14, 2012 05:07 as a reply to  @ krs2fer's post |  #4

I second Mackinac Island. It costs $25.00 per person to get there but there's a 18th century fort, the light house, the harbor, and many other places to see. It's like a tropical island in Michigan, and no motorized vehicals are allowed. You'll need an entire day or more to see everything.

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 14, 2012 07:55 |  #5

Hoosier Writer wrote in post #14083550 (external link)
I second Mackinac Island. It costs $25.00 per person the get there....

So THAT'S how they get people to spend $300/night on a hideous room. Wow, much of the decorating on that island looks like an episode of Trading Spaces the "color blind, on acid" edition.

I must say though, that I am intrigued. It is very pretty there as long as you stay out side.

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,234 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 14, 2012 09:03 |  #6

Depends on what you want. We did the UP several years ago, starting in Duluth and looking for waterfalls and lighthouses. Plenty of both. Didn't do Pictued Rocks, but will if I go back. Traveled the east coast of Lake Michigan a couple years ago and enjoyed all the quaint towns (Holland, Saugatuck, South Haven, Charlevoix, Spring Harbor, etc). Lots of scenic beaches and lighthouses. Sleeping Bear Dunes is scenic and fun.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Dragoro
268 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 14, 2012 09:47 |  #7

Definitely stop at Saugatuck!! One of the coolest citys in Michigan.

Nikon D810:
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G AF-S ED LENS
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD
Benjamin Timmins Photography (external link)

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 14, 2012 10:23 |  #8

sparker1 wrote in post #14084271 (external link)
Depends on what you want. We did the UP several years ago, starting in Duluth and looking for waterfalls and lighthouses. Plenty of both. Didn't do Pictued Rocks, but will if I go back. Traveled the east coast of Lake Michigan a couple years ago and enjoyed all the quaint towns (Holland, Saugatuck, South Haven, Charlevoix, Spring Harbor, etc). Lots of scenic beaches and lighthouses. Sleeping Bear Dunes is scenic and fun.

Thanks, I will definitely add these to my list. I just found Lavender Hills Farm in Boyne City. I really want some wall art for my living room and Lavender images would look terrific. I had no idea lavender was grown this far north. Hmmmm, I'm going to have some hard decisions to make if I want to spend less than 2 weeks!

Dragoro wrote in post #14084452 (external link)
Definitely stop at Saugatuck!! One of the coolest citys in Michigan.

:-D Thanks!

krs2fer wrote in post #14082514 (external link)
I've never done that "loop" trip myself but I've read reports of lots of people taking the trip on motorcycles and they all seemed to have enjoyed the ride.
You might find this site interesting; http://www.openroadjou​rney.com/loadroute.asp​?rid=3377 (external link).
Maybe you could make a photo blog about it here. I for one would like to see some photos of the trip.
Good luck and safe journey.

Thanks, that's a good recommendation. Thank God for GPS!

Kirill wrote in post #14082392 (external link)
I like silver beach in St Joseph, MI http://maps.google.com …errien,+Michiga​n&t=h&z=17 (external link)

that's the cool place too - http://www.meijergarde​ns.org/ (external link)

and check out http://www.mackinacisl​and.org/ (external link)

Hey, that's the place I visited with friends in 1996 when we watched a large thunderstorm roll across the lake. That was some show. I've always wanted to go back and shoot a storm from that location. We stayed at the Paw Paw campground, which is a funny name for something that appeared to be a front for the MI militia!

Hoosier ­ Writer
102 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 14, 2012 11:27 |  #9

kristin6 wrote in post #14084003 (external link)
So THAT'S how they get people to spend $300/night on a hideous room. Wow, much of the decorating on that island looks like an episode of Trading Spaces the "color blind, on acid" edition.

I must say though, that I am intrigued. It is very pretty there as long as you stay out side.

If you read some of the history of the island before you go it will make many of the sights more intersting. A movie "Somewhere in Time" was filmed there as well. There are also B&B places to stay at that date back to 1830s, back when it was a hub for the western fur trade.

stickman513
588 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 14, 2012 18:59 as a reply to  @ Hoosier Writer's post |  #10

Kristin6,

I live in Traverse City, with 30 min of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore park is a great area for pics and we have couple lighthouses as well here. Starting the 4th of July there is a huge festival here with an airshow as well that week (google National Cherry Festival for schedule of events) there are some great small towns in area and LOTS of wineries. If you would like to know more about the area drop me a line I would be more than happy to help you out.

Doug

eta:
check out the cut river bridge on us 2 just west of mackinaw bridge along the lakeshore, gorgeous view there as well.

Doug
6D | T2i
24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | 10-22 | 105 Macro
430 EX II | Yongnuo Triggers | Manfrotto Legs | Lee & Marumi Filters

mmb
117 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 16, 2012 14:33 |  #11

Seconded on Sleeping Bear Dunes. Excellent sunsets there.

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 16, 2012 14:54 |  #12

mmb wrote in post #14098377 (external link)
Seconded on Sleeping Bear Dunes. Excellent sunsets there.

Thanks so much. Now I'm thinking I might just plan to skip the Ogden Dunes and drive straight up to the UP in one day. I live within 2 hours of the Ogden Dunes park, so I can go there another time.

Convex ­ Creative
62 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 18, 2012 17:41 as a reply to  @ kristin6's post |  #13

Make time to go to Pictured Rocks in the UP. You will be glad you did.

www.convexcreative.com (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 18, 2012 18:01 |  #14

Convex Creative wrote in post #14108876 (external link)
Make time to go to Pictured Rocks in the UP. You will be glad you did.

I'll second that in spite of it not being part of the lake Michigan circle tour. Also Tehquamenon falls is a nice place to stop at as well (again not part of the circle tour)

If you do a Michican tour instead of a lake michigan tour I'd say make sure you stop by the sleeping bear dunes, mackanac island tehquamenon falls, Kitch-iti-kipi, and the pictured rocks.

Those are just the places I've been that I know are good. I've aso heard great things about the areas in the porcupine mountains like lake of the clouds (really hoping to make it up to the porcupine mountains this year)

Dragoro
268 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 19, 2012 08:42 |  #15

gremlin75 wrote in post #14108962 (external link)
I'll second that in spite of it not being part of the lake Michigan circle tour. Also Tehquamenon falls is a nice place to stop at as well (again not part of the circle tour)

If you do a Michican tour instead of a lake michigan tour I'd say make sure you stop by the sleeping bear dunes, mackanac island tehquamenon falls, Kitch-iti-kipi, and the pictured rocks.

Those are just the places I've been that I know are good. I've aso heard great things about the areas in the porcupine mountains like lake of the clouds (really hoping to make it up to the porcupine mountains this year)

Yeah Im planning to do a backpacking trip in the porcupine mountains this summer, myself!

Nikon D810:
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G AF-S ED LENS
Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 Di VC USD
Benjamin Timmins Photography (external link)

sponsored links

8,417 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trip around Lake Michigan - destination recommendations
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.