Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 23:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Choices.. Why can't they be easier!..another lens help.

crawf71
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 14, 2012 23:00 |  #1

Hello folks,

I'm having issue deciding on the next lens I should purchase.

Current body is a 7d, however I will be upgrading to a 5d iii this summer (already got wife's approval!!!) I'm 90% happy with the 24-105 lens but was wanting something a little faster,

Before talking the boss into a 5d I had my mind made on a sigma 30 1.4m but since that won't work on FF its outta the picture.

What I want is something that will have awesome IQ for pics of my daughter. So I figure a prime is the right way to go. I was considering the 35L but also am thinking about the 16-35L.

Give up versatility for speed? Any help would be appreciated.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Chris
Gear: 7d 24-105L 70-200L f4 IS

sponsored links
TritonB7
154 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 14, 2012 23:48 |  #2

You going to be shooting indoors much? It's hard to lose with the 35L. If your shooting outdoors I think the 24-105 that you already have would cover you. If you don't mind spending the money you could always rent a lens first and try it out for a day or two and see if it fits your needs.

My Gear | My Rig | My Flickr (external link)

Rellik
720 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 15, 2012 04:42 |  #3

How old is your daughter? If she is running around much, you want some stopping power.

The 35 will be sharp, but you might be shooting it stopped down. If you open it up, you might lack depth of field and get a lot of mis-focused photos.

My suggestion would be to get a flash since you don't have one. That will improve your indoor shots quite a bit.

-Derek 40D, 5D, 5D MK II, 1D Mark III
35L, 50L, 85L, 17-40L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Vancouver Wedding Photographer (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 15, 2012 08:00 as a reply to  @ Rellik's post |  #4

Lens choices are simple, as long as you know exactly what you want to do with the camera. Decisions come in two stages.

First, you need to decide the field of view you want to use. Many people call this "focal length," but the idea is to decide whether you need a wide field of view, a narrow field of view, something inbetween, or whether you need a variable field of view (called a "zoom lens" by many people).

Second, you need to decide how much you want to pay for the lens. This determines whether you'll get an expensive "fast" lens or a less-expensive unit. Since expensive lenses tend to be larger and heavier than less-expensive lenses, size and weight are also part of the second decision.

That's it. Every lens buying decision falls in those two categories. Many vendors' web sites (external link) are set up to let you follow that path to decide on a purchase.

Example: you want what some would call a normal to narrow field of view (called normal to short telephoto by some). That narrows your choice to a specific group lenses. Then, you choose on price. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, you settle for something like the Canon EF-S 55-250mm lens. If you want to spend a lot of money, you go for a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, which costs about ten times as much as the 55-250mm lens. Or you choose something between those extremes.

Simplify the choices to the factors of field of view and price, and decisions are easy to make - as long as you know exactly what you want. From the messages left in this forum, that's the main problem most people face: they don't know enough about their photographic needs and desires to be able to make a decision.

And, one of the worst factors in purchasing lenses can be to mimic what others have done.

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 15, 2012 08:08 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

35L hands down if you ask me.

if you want awesome bokeh at such a short focal length, wide aperture lens is absolutely needed. 35mm is plenty wide on ff for portrait. I often have to crop a bit just to get it right.

Anything too wide will just gives you distortion, unless that's what you are looking for in your portrait.

35L's 2 stops advantage is crucial imo.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 15, 2012 08:10 |  #6

I think you should try the lens you have on your new FF body, then rent a couple to use.

After that, you'll have a better feel for what you would use.

Definitely post your experiences with the 5DIII! Congrats!

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 15, 2012 09:20 |  #7

50L will be a good one to replace the sigma 30mm, since the focal length is equvient.

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

crawf71
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 15, 2012 10:04 |  #8

Daughter is 16 months old, so a lot of moving around!

How is the 35L for a kid on the go? I posted late last night before bed and left out some details, I apologize for that!

I already have a 430 flash, which has help me so much indoors over the winter, but I find myself reaching for the camera and not having time to attach the flash in time for a picture of the little one.

So is a 35L good for a kid on the move? Or should I go for something else?

Thanks

Chris
Gear: 7d 24-105L 70-200L f4 IS

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 15, 2012 11:43 |  #9

35L will work fine for what you describe.

sponsored links

968 views & 0 likes for this thread
Choices.. Why can't they be easier!..another lens help.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.