Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 23:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which one has a better image quality

buddy4344
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 15, 2012 10:03 |  #16

I have owned the 7D since it was introduced. Great camera and it has served me well in award winning landscapes and wildlife images. It's strength is it's many focusing points and a high burst speed.

For the past 24 hours, I've been 'field testing' a 5D MkII that has become available locally with virtually no use (it was bought for video and the guy gave up quickly). What I HATE about the camera is a) lousy on/off switch location. One will get used to that. b) lack of focusing points. The 7D spoiled me. Every time I set up for a landscape, the best contrast object to focus upon is not near one of the very few focus points on the 5D. What I LOVE about the camera: high ISO. I took dusk and night shots last night that blows the 7D away. Very low noise. I also took low ISO, but long (15 minute!) exposures last night with reasonably low noise.

Personally, I'm torn. I see the differences in quality (5D wins hands down), but I've printed up to 40" on the 7D with fine resolution and no noise issues. The 7D is more fun in the field as focusing is a dream. ... and of course the 5D Mk III will give me the best of both at a price greater than the sum of both. :(

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

sponsored links
Persian-Rice
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Mar 15, 2012 10:34 |  #17

Considering all features, the 7D is a significantly better and more complete/complex camera. The 5D II has better image quality, in almost all aspects. I've used both extensively, the 5D in hand will feel and perform like old camera technology. New technology definitely seems to be going in the direction the 7D has taken. Also, there is an "L" lens of price difference.

It depends what you're trying to photograph/willing to trade off.

TheBigDog
Goldmember
2,063 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 15, 2012 10:38 |  #18

ayman kallousa wrote in post #14089061 (external link)
Thanks folks, I realize all the other differences in the specs between the two cameras. I am leaning toward the 5d mkii, I think it worth the $1000 difference in the price.

Honestly you can pick up a used Mk2 right now for only a couple hundred more than a new 7D...There's a lot of people selling their Mk2's to upgrade to the mark 3, so it's a buyers market

Christian
http://www.cegphotogra​phy.com/ (external link)
Member, Full Disc Aviation (external link)
Flickr (external link) * Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)Aviation Instagram (external link)

joema2
85 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 15, 2012 11:08 |  #19

ayman kallousa wrote in post #14089077 (external link)
I mostly shoot people, landscapes and very little of sport, the other reason I like the 5d ii is a heard it is better in low light because of the ff and the better ability to handle noise.

If the people you shoot include parties, kids running around, etc, autofocus sophistication can be important. Using a camera's high ISO ability can be constrained if you can't AF in those light-limited situations.

The 7D is due for an upgrade pretty soon, you might consider a 60D or even a (gasp!) T3i. Their max in-spec ISO is 6400 vs your 30D's 1600. So even though they're crop-sensor cameras, the improved sensor technology considerably improves low light ability. That said the 5D2 is better in that area.

Part of low light ability is the lens. If you're not using a 2.8 or faster lens you can gain improvement there. E.g, a T3i with a 17-55 f/2.8 lens might produce better quality and even competitive high ISO ability as a 5D2 with a slower consumer lens.

If you have EF-S lenses, these won't work with the 5D2. Part of the decision involves your current and projected lens situation.

NicuB
82 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 15, 2012 11:18 as a reply to  @ joema2's post |  #20

I went from 30D to 5d2. I shoot mostly landscapes and portraits.
If you do not have too many EF-s lenses I would highly recommend 5d.

buddy4344
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 15, 2012 12:26 |  #21

Just to let you know my 'final result'. I returned the 5D mkII I was testing. My basic evaluation is noted a few posts above. The unit I was looking at was $1700 and was unique as a used body in that it had never had but 1 lens on it and had less than 200 activations since the guy bought it to try video.

Logic: With the lesser focus points but better noise, I would constantly be questioning which body to pull from my bag. I couldn't get past the very limited focusing points for my landscape with foreground shooting style. I decided to bite the bullet and put in an order for the 5d MkIII. I still will often use the 7D when the crop factor, frame rate are valued ... but at least both will have good options on focusing.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 15, 2012 12:32 |  #22

buddy4344 wrote in post #14091495 (external link)
Just to let you know my 'final result'. I returned the 5D mkII I was testing. My basic evaluation is noted a few posts above. The unit I was looking at was $1700 and was unique as a used body in that it had never had but 1 lens on it and had less than 200 activations since the guy bought it to try video.

Logic: With the lesser focus points but better noise, I would constantly be questioning which body to pull from my bag. I couldn't get past the very limited focusing points for my landscape with foreground shooting style. I decided to bite the bullet and put in an order for the 5d MkIII. I still will often use the 7D when the crop factor, frame rate are valued ... but at least both will have good options on focusing.

I don't understand how focus points limit landscape photography. Just focus manually and don't worry about it.

Gear List

perryj
101 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 15, 2012 12:42 |  #23

I say the 5DII also.

5D MK III | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8

buddy4344
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 15, 2012 14:17 |  #24

Numenorean wrote in post #14091547 (external link)
I don't understand how focus points limit landscape photography. Just focus manually and don't worry about it.

Sounds good. Sounds easy and a fair question. I'm 57 and don't always trust my eyes. I also shoot a style with tripod just off the ground, so I'm down on my knees or belly at funny angles. In attion, the tripod is probably in running water and I'm balancing on river stone. In that position, having a little square turning red gives one much more confidence.

In my mind, I'm paying for autofocus, so I should have good auto focus. The 7D is priced as a "lower grade" body and has Great autofocus in these settings. And finally, when you have had a really good feature on a camera, it's really hard to go backwards in technology and give it up (for more money).

Buddy4344

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,228 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 15, 2012 14:24 |  #25

buddy4344 wrote in post #14092176 (external link)
In my mind, I'm paying for autofocus, so I should have good auto focus. The 7D is priced as a "lower grade" body and has Great autofocus in these settings. And finally, when you have had a really good feature on a camera, it's really hard to go backwards in technology and give it up (for more money).

Your point might be stronger if you were only paying for the autofocus system when you got the 5DII. You are paying for a significantly larger sensor, thats a lot more expensive to make. You are paying for the increased IQ. Despite the desire of the mass of users here to make all DSLR's the photographic equivalent of a swiss army knife, these two cameras have different purposes.

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 15, 2012 14:27 |  #26

Numenorean wrote in post #14091547 (external link)

Right, I was thinking the same thing...(edit: Just read the reply...understandable :) )I enjoy my 5DmkII way more than I did my 7D. For me it's about the final image....I use it for everything....I've never had a problem shooting moving targets with it, definitely not 1 series AF but not as bad as people say it is...I never miss shots (in fact the center point is super sensitive). I mostly use it for my kids and as a basic walkaround.
The 7D was nice too, I just prefer the 5DmkII, I prefer L glass over the EF-S, The only EF-S lenses I really liked were the 10-22, 17-55 and the 60mm Macro. I get basically get the same FOV with my 17-40, 24-70 and 100L and their built to last forever....My primes came alive when I mounted them on the 5DmkII.....
I also like to shoot at 3200 and 6400 ISO inside the house...You can certainly get great images at those ISO's on the 7D, but it's a lot harder, you have to be really careful....And, I got sick of being really careful. :)
Either will be a great upgrade, just depends on the glass you currently own and personal preference.

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 15, 2012 18:45 as a reply to  @ thatkatmat's post |  #27

Given your need for great AF and great IQ along with the wider field of view and shorter DOF you'll get with a full-framer on the type of work you described, it sounds like the 5D3 may be the perfect camera for you. Will be watching for you to post some pics from it. I have the bug for that beast as well but for me, the extra distance i get from a crop camera when shooting marching band and such makes it harder for me to justify the expense. Still......just one good commission check. :-)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

2,642 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which one has a better image quality
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.