Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 07:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Trellis & Shadows

Qbx
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 15, 2012 07:23 |  #1

I thought this architecture shot looked better inverted. What do you all think?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links
mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 15, 2012 09:43 |  #2

I like it. I don't have critique for you, I am always thoroughly impressed by your work. I would like to see the original maybe after you get a few critiques :)

5D Mark II | 7D
24L II | 50L | 100L Macro
Some other stuff
Can't find a Lee filter holder? - Cokin Modification for wide angle lenses

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 15, 2012 10:36 |  #3

mattmorgan44 wrote in post #14090568 (external link)
I like it. I don't have critique for you, I am always thoroughly impressed by your work. I would like to see the original maybe after you get a few critiques :)

Thanks for the comments; I should have included the orig. So I edited the post and added it.

-- Image Editing OK --

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 15, 2012 11:26 |  #4

I don't think either are very good. B&W probably isn't the best here. The lines are confusing and I think there is just too much going on.

Gear List

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 15, 2012 12:10 |  #5

Try posting in color...

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 15, 2012 20:19 |  #6

tmoore323 wrote in post #14091414 (external link)
Try posting in color...

Ok, this is orig unprocessed except to straighten a bit.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 15, 2012 20:28 |  #7

Numenorean wrote in post #14091179 (external link)
I don't think either are very good. B&W probably isn't the best here. The lines are confusing and I think there is just too much going on.

I take your point about being busy. I worried a bit about that too; but the business is all architecture so it hangs together in my mind, and that's why I like it. However I think vertical pipe on the left and some of the bottom could be cropped out. After that it's going on the wall as an A3 print.

-- Image Editing OK --

mattmorgan44
644 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 15, 2012 22:18 |  #8

I still like the inverted edit. Definitely prefer it over color. It looks a bit boring in color, inverted adds something and actually makes it a bit easier on my eyes. It's also much more interesting to me and I think people be more interested in the inverted edit if it's on the wall.

5D Mark II | 7D
24L II | 50L | 100L Macro
Some other stuff
Can't find a Lee filter holder? - Cokin Modification for wide angle lenses

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 16, 2012 00:32 |  #9

Inverted B&W. Props for seeing the possibilities and taking this shot. The color is not strong enough to add interest.

It has an infrared feel to it. I like the patterns of the straight lines of the wood and pipe on the wall and how the spiral staircase really pops in comparison.

I find the rope/extension cords/lights along the railing to be distracting to the point of ruining the whole effect. If you have control of the scene, also remove the ladders.

Without the ladders and ropes, it would be an absolute winner.

+1 on MattMorgan's recommendation to get it "on the wall."

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 16, 2012 09:09 |  #10

mattmorgan44 wrote in post #14094725 (external link)
I still like the inverted edit. Definitely prefer it over color. It looks a bit boring in color, inverted adds something and actually makes it a bit easier on my eyes. It's also much more interesting to me and I think people be more interested in the inverted edit if it's on the wall.

Thanks. I agree the color is boring. When I saw this house I knew it was going to be b&w, the invert came later.

cpam.pix wrote in post #14095244 (external link)
Inverted B&W. Props for seeing the possibilities and taking this shot. The color is not strong enough to add interest.

It has an infrared feel to it. I like the patterns of the straight lines of the wood and pipe on the wall and how the spiral staircase really pops in comparison.

I find the rope/extension cords/lights along the railing to be distracting to the point of ruining the whole effect. If you have control of the scene, also remove the ladders.
Without the ladders and ropes, it would be an absolute winner.
+1 on MattMorgan's recommendation to get it "on the wall."

Thanks for pointing out the ext. cords - actually I didn't notice them. They are now gone; but I left the ladder. I cropped it a bit and I printed it on some A4 size Gekko Pearl Glossy paper which has a metallic sheen. I highly recommend this paper for high contrast b&w prints. This is my test print before I go to A3 for the wall.

Thanks to everyone for critiques and suggestions. This was fun.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links

1,480 views & 0 likes for this thread
Trellis & Shadows
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.