Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 19:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Um... do I really need a 5d mkII?

jakovmarkovic
115 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 15, 2012 19:54 |  #1

So, I gathered the money for a new camera.

I don't wanna go back into reasons why I dislike my XS, but let's say it's mostly due to the ergonomics of the camera itself, it's just darn to small. bw!

But, I'm looking at the price of the 5d mkII, and I am sort of leaning towards the original 5d.

I don't shoot video, I don't shoot high ISO (heck I am even happy with 1600 on the XS).

I don't need the resolution.

All I want is the bigger viewfinder, better WB and a FF (I'm tired of standing 15 feet away from the model and constantly shouting).bw!

First I had thought about getting the 5d classic as a back-up body and selling my XS, but now that I thought the whole thing through... I'm wondering what does the 5d mkII have that the original doesn't????

The screen is much better, but apart from that, I just don't see why would I drop a nice trip, or a Mac Book Air, or more flashes for a body that does the exact same thing as one that costs half the price????

Is the 5d reliable enough (with changed shutter?)????:oops:

http://www.behance.net​/jakovmarkovic (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jakovmarkovic (external link)

sponsored links
perryj
101 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 15, 2012 20:04 |  #2

If you're not doing high ISO the 5D (original) is stilll a great camera just keep in mind that they have been around a while now and might be getting high shutter counts. If you can swing 1700$ you can grab a MkII and it will more than put a smile on your face for a LONG time.

If you don't want a FF look at a gently used 50D ;-)a

5D MK III | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 15, 2012 20:05 |  #3

jakovmarkovic wrote in post #14093954 (external link)
So, I gathered the money for a new camera.

I don't wanna go back into reasons why I dislike my XS, but let's say it's mostly due to the ergonomics of the camera itself, it's just darn to small. bw!

But, I'm looking at the price of the 5d mkII, and I am sort of leaning towards the original 5d.

I don't shoot video, I don't shoot high ISO (heck I am even happy with 1600 on the XS).

I don't need the resolution.

All I want is the bigger viewfinder, better WB and a FF (I'm tired of standing 15 feet away from the model and constantly shouting).bw!

First I had thought about getting the 5d classic as a back-up body and selling my XS, but now that I thought the whole thing through... I'm wondering what does the 5d mkII have that the original doesn't????

The screen is much better, but apart from that, I just don't see why would I drop a nice trip, or a Mac Book Air, or more flashes for a body that does the exact same thing as one that costs half the price????

Is the 5d reliable enough (with changed shutter?)????:oops:

Live view
Micro-adjust
Sensor cleaning

I had both and I would buy the mark II.

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 15, 2012 20:06 |  #4

The 5D classic is a great camera. From the sound of it you would be a happy owner for one.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 15, 2012 20:07 |  #5

Just buy the 5dmk2 and be done with it. You know you want one, and if you don't get one, you'll be asking yourself why you never did.

Especially if you've saved money for it... Go for it.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 15, 2012 20:11 |  #6

The answer to your question is "yes".

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

elogical
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 15, 2012 20:14 |  #7

Sounds like you're planning to go all out there. Keep in mind that there is a LOT of middle-ground between rebel XS and 5DII. If you're unsure about spending that much then maybe look at one of the in-between cameras or even just a more modern rebel, you'll be amazed how much nicer they can be to use.

Gear

jakovmarkovic
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 15, 2012 20:14 as a reply to  @ davidc502's post |  #8

Maybe I should get used to buying stuff new. :D I think it's been like 5 years or more since I bought anything new, apart from the things that were on the discount. Ahahahah

But, if I look at it that way, 5dII is on the discount. ahahahaa bw!

Yeah, I forgot about live view, I use it ALL THE TIME, as my meter sucks big time. It'd be hard to live without that.

Noooo way I am I getting anything but the full frame! So, the only middle ground is the original 5d.

If it were up to me I'd be using a Nikon d70 or something (those were the days ahaha).:lol:

Oh *rap, all that work and I am spending all the money just to do more work. :D

http://www.behance.net​/jakovmarkovic (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jakovmarkovic (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 15, 2012 20:17 |  #9

If you have to ask then the answer is probably no.

Gear List

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 15, 2012 20:17 |  #10

imo micro adjust isn't that big a deal.

the larger LCD and easier menu system of the Mk II is nice. but the 5D takes some really nice photos as well, at half the price.

i've got both cameras, and i enjoy using both of them (though i will reach for the 5D2 if given a choice).

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 15, 2012 22:30 |  #11

davidc502 wrote in post #14094023 (external link)
Just buy the 5dmk2 and be done with it. You know you want one, and if you don't get one, you'll be asking yourself why you never did.

Especially if you've saved money for it... Go for it.

Word.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 15, 2012 22:38 |  #12

No, you need 1Dx instead ;)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

jayadeff
367 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 16, 2012 15:06 |  #13

5D is a great camera at a bargain price now. I have no issues with AF, and all my lenses focus perfectly on it including my Sigma 50mm 1.4. You'll really love it compared to the XS.

tempest68
980 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 16, 2012 19:30 |  #14

narlus wrote in post #14094080 (external link)
imo micro adjust isn't that big a deal.

the larger LCD and easier menu system of the Mk II is nice. but the 5D takes some really nice photos as well, at half the price.

i've got both cameras, and i enjoy using both of them (though i will reach for the 5D2 if given a choice).

Then either you've been lucky enough to have lenses that are spot-on, or you don't normally shoot wider than f/4. Having it on my 50D and doing some tests of my lenses convinced me I would not buy an older camera that does not offer it.

Jim
Canon: EOS 3, 40mm f2.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM. Voigtlander: R3A, 28mm F2.8 SL II, Nokton 40mm f1.4, 50mm f2 Heliar.
Nikon: SB-25. Yongnuo: YN565EX, YN-622C transceiver (x2)
Sony: A7S, a6000, 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 G, Nissin i40.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 16, 2012 22:14 |  #15

My 5d produces images with great iq, my only complaint is it's a dust magnet. I used to complain, but when it's pushed it's pretty fast.

sponsored links

4,458 views & 0 likes for this thread
Um... do I really need a 5d mkII?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.