Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 00:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Lens?

Showjumper91
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 14, 2012 00:31 |  #1

Hi, I am currently looking to buy a Canon EOS 7D camera and I was wondering which lens will be best for Equestrian sport photography.
It would be for jumping and I'm not sure what zoom ability I would need (I would be standing on the outside of the arena if I am taking photos)
I am looking for a canon lens preferably under $700 but I would love any suggestions.

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 14, 2012 01:00 |  #2

The 70-200mm f/4.0 Non-IS is the simple answer. That is assuming the arena is small enough for the 200mm length to be long enough. I am guessing most arenas will not be huge. That is also assuming it will be used during daytime.

Most inside lighting will be insufficient for an f/4.0 lens and might very well be too dark for an f/2.8 lens. With decent lighting you could probably use high ISO with the 7D and either an f/4 or an f/2.8 lens.

A 70-300mm lens might be better for a very large arena with daytime events.

There are some photos in the Sports section you might want to see for information as to what other people use.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

Showjumper91
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 16, 2012 18:14 |  #3

Alright thanks :) I think I have made my decision

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,110 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Lens?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.