Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Feb 2012 (Thursday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 10, 2012 13:12 |  #226

I've thought about investing in a smaller, more portable system at times but I still don't like the tradeoffs and don't think I'd be happy with a Micro 4/3 system. When I decide to go smaller, I still want a larger sensor, so it will more than likely be something like the M9 unless Canon or Nikon wakes up and decides to compete. Small enough for me :D

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

sponsored links
tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 10, 2012 14:53 |  #227

what about a side profile? and with a lens on it that is where the NEX loses ground. Im not sure they have any pancakes available.

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 10, 2012 15:03 |  #228

IMAGE: http://www.glaringnotebook.com/zimages/nex15.jpg

I guess this would be the best example

pancake vs pancake.

Nikon D700, 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 17-35mm Nikkor, 50mm 1.8 Nikkor, 28mm f2.8 Nikkor, Panasonic G3, Panasonic 14-45mm Lumix, Panasonic LX3, Canonet, 4 speedlites, some remotes some umbrellas, some stands, some cables and a few bags.
My website with old terrible low res pictures that I'll update at some point. (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 10, 2012 16:03 |  #229

tete wrote in post #14063018 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

I guess this would be the best example

pancake vs pancake.

What is that, a 20mm f/1.7 on a GF1 on the m4/3 side? And a 16mm f/2.8 on the NEX side. NEX bodies are amazingly small--impressive really considering the sensors are a little bigger. If the goal is the smallest 1 body and 1 lens combo NEX is a good way to go (the tiny 14mm f/2.5 would make the m4/3 combo smaller than shown here, but I think the NEX combo would still be smaller). If you plan to take advantage of multiple lenses that's when the lens size advantage of m4/3 shows.

Old ­ Baldy
718 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 10, 2012 20:13 as a reply to  @ Yohan Pamudji's post |  #230

Side profile: NEX-5N with Voigtlander 15MM vs Canon 5Dc and 17-40L

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

OB
Gear list
Flickr Gallery (external link)

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 10, 2012 20:59 |  #231

WOW! Of course we are not comparing apples to apples in regard to capabilities, but still... However, was in the Nevada outback today doing some exploring, and as many times in the past, tossed in in an Oly E-P2, not the 5DII. Unless one needs a specific attribute of a full-sized DSLR, why lug it along? I am really struggling with how much to invest down the road in the DLSR side. Sensor (and lenses also to some extent) technology is advancing SO fast!

Jim

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 16, 2012 20:23 |  #232

WOWSERs! looking at the samples, the OM looks to be an absolute winner. IMO beating out the Nex5n and in some cases up to the 5d mkII. holy cow. I think Olympus hit one out the park with this one

CLICK HERE FOR IMAGES (external link)

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 16, 2012 21:01 |  #233

tete.. thanks for sharing that. now i'm starting to save up for the OMD.. and just hoping the olympus being in hot waters will only drive the price down... or one could hope. haha :)

any idea how large we can print using this cam vs. 5D2?

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 16, 2012 21:17 |  #234

The OMD looks great, but it looks to me like the body is about the size of a Rebel body. Of course you will save weight with lenses, in most cases, but not always. For example, a T2i with the nifty-fifty would, I think, be a bit smaller and lighter but probably have similar IQ as the OMD with, say, the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 (which costs 3 times more). Of course, the Oly 45mm 1.8 has a fov like the canon 85.18, and is only half the size, but is the overall difference that great?
Sorry, I'm just thinking aloud here. I've sold my new Gx1 and oly 1.8 lens though. I liked them in a lot of ways, but as an IQ crazy prime shooter who loves shooting wide open, I have found I just can't give up my big sensor. I have my GF1, 20mm combo on the block now in another forum...

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 16, 2012 21:38 |  #235

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14100530 (external link)
The OMD looks great, but it looks to me like the body is about the size of a Rebel body.

In height and width it's about halfway between a Rebel and the GX1
vs Rebel: http://camerasize.com/​compare/#289,219 (external link)
vs GX1: http://camerasize.com/​compare/#289,183 (external link)

It is not nearly as thick as a Rebel though, and weighs a good bit less.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 16, 2012 21:39 |  #236

if you look at this review.. it looks like it's smaller than a rebel. but with the grip.. it should feel pretty good.

check out this review. i think it's pretty good.. just didn't appreciate them banging such a beauty around with their messy handling.

http://www.thephoblogr​apher.com …ounces-em5-omd-we-fondle/ (external link)

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,149 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 17, 2012 00:36 |  #237

krb wrote in post #14100604 (external link)

Wow, that is a niche website!
OK, it's about 8mm in height and length longer, and width is more, too. But is that enough to warrant starting a second lens collection, or selling the one you have and starting over?
Maybe that is a critical difference. I had two notebook computers that were just a couple pounds different in weight, and yet one seemed a pain to carry around (so I always left it at home) and the other no problem (and so I took it everywhere). Maybe this is a similar critical difference? I guess everyone has to decide on their own...The 12-50 lens that comes with the OMD gives a great range, but it looks honking big on the camera. It's not getting slipped into any pockets.
When I shot with a rebel, I always used a grip to make it bigger;) I'm just a DSLR man, I guess.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 17, 2012 02:18 |  #238

Mookalafalas wrote in post #14101263 (external link)
Wow, that is a niche website!
OK, it's about 8mm in height and length longer, and width is more, too. But is that enough to warrant starting a second lens collection, or selling the one you have and starting over?
Maybe that is a critical difference. I had two notebook computers that were just a couple pounds different in weight, and yet one seemed a pain to carry around (so I always left it at home) and the other no problem (and so I took it everywhere). Maybe this is a similar critical difference? I guess everyone has to decide on their own...The 12-50 lens that comes with the OMD gives a great range, but it looks honking big on the camera. It's not getting slipped into any pockets.
When I shot with a rebel, I always used a grip to make it bigger;) I'm just a DSLR man, I guess.

If you're not in it for the small, there's very little point in going m4/3. But as these samples show, with the E-M5 there's now no noise performance gulf to speak of between m4/3 and APS-C. Dynamic range remains a question but early tests there have it beating the Sony APS-C cameras as well. That leaves continuous AF as the main performance win of APS-C DSLRs over m4/3. It's a very exciting time to be a m4/3 user!

For me the size difference isn't about one body vs. another or one lens vs. another, although in those one-on-one comparisons m4/3 wins handily enough. It's system size and weight that tells the full story. m4/3 has some very small high quality primes. Stuff those in your bag and you're way ahead of the game size and weight wise.

Of course if you prefer bigger cameras then you must be lost if you're wandering around here :)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 17, 2012 02:31 |  #239

krb wrote in post #14100604 (external link)

Frontal view is small enough (significantly smaller than the smallest Canon DSLR--how much smaller does it need to be?! :lol:). Then go to side and top views and prepare to be amazed. Makes the Rebel look downright huge, and we all know how small the Rebel really is.

tete
275 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 17, 2012 07:42 |  #240

Wowsers, Yeah I just the the side view and then it became very apparent of the 44% difference in size. It's funny that we sit here and criticize these m4/3 cameras but the technology is proven. The images printed out in 11 x 14 will be very good still. Probably indistinguishable from APS-C. Better than APS-C of just a 1 year ago. Better than Fuji APS-C IMO

http://camerasize.com/​compare/#183,219 (external link) try this one in side view and then the advantage for size is just crazy

sponsored links

91,338 views & 2 likes for this thread
DSLR to Micro 4/3. Anybody made the switch and been happy?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.