Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 12:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Things I Miss (features & experiences from cameras past)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 16, 2012 15:42 |  #31

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14098833 (external link)
:lol::lol:

Yes the 55 1.2 aspherical is amazing.

KEH has one right now for only $1500!

http://www.keh.com …1/sku-CA069991242360?r=FE (external link)

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,335 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 16, 2012 15:47 |  #32

Tony-S wrote in post #14098919 (external link)
KEH has one right now for only $1500!

http://www.keh.com …1/sku-CA069991242360?r=FE (external link)

WOW I knew these aspherical lenses were still selling for good $$ had no idea it was that much. Mine is rare in the fact it is a gold coat. You can kinda see it in the photo that it and the 24L FD are both warmer with the 55 being the warmest of those two and both warmer compared to the cheaper 35mm lens.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 16, 2012 15:57 |  #33

rick_reno wrote in post #14068803 (external link)
I miss being able to rewind the film and do multiple exposures

Nikon has had this all along and Canon has finally put it back in. (1Dx and I think 5DmkIII)

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 16, 2012 16:10 |  #34

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14098953 (external link)
WOW I knew these aspherical lenses were still selling for good $$ had no idea it was that much.

Damn! I should have offered you $500 for it. Me and my big mouth... :)

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 17, 2012 00:00 |  #35

rmsppu wrote in post #14062423 (external link)
So, what do you miss from the ghosts of cameras past?

While I do miss the eyepiece shutters, what I miss most is the eye-control auto-focus from my Elan. That was just an incredible system and it's a shame that it doesn't work with the way DLSRs are built.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 17, 2012 00:12 |  #36

tracknut wrote in post #14064763 (external link)
I miss the wonderful feeling of shooting image #25 on a roll of 24 and thinking I just got a freebie, then image #26, then #27, then thinking.... oh crap.

Dave

This is just cracking me up. I don't miss that at all! rofl!
I do miss the smell of freshly opened film.
And I do miss the whole darkroom experience. Develop, rinse, fix...I especially liked my developing tank with the thermometer agitator. While I love the ease and effectiveness of the digital darkroom, something out working in a real darkroom just felt "right".

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,860 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 17, 2012 00:14 |  #37

kfreels wrote in post #14101153 (external link)
While I do miss the eyepiece shutters,

I wonder how much it would really cost to implement them again?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

altitude604
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 17, 2012 05:26 |  #38

fotoworx wrote in post #14101200 (external link)
I wonder how much it would really cost to implement them again?

The 1Ds has an eyepiece shutter. Mine's only a Mark 1 but don't all of them have it?

Erik - Three Miles Final (external link)
- Gear List -

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 17, 2012 06:04 as a reply to  @ altitude604's post |  #39

Processing each sheet of 4x5 individually.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

rmsppu
THREAD ­ STARTER
53 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 17, 2012 08:58 |  #40

kfreels wrote in post #14101195 (external link)
This is just cracking me up. I don't miss that at all! rofl!
I do miss the smell of freshly opened film.

Funny, that wasn't even on my mind in my original post, but as soon as I read it, the smell and sense of handling film came back to me like a rememberance of things past. :)

And I do miss the whole darkroom experience. Develop, rinse, fix...I especially liked my developing tank with the thermometer agitator. While I love the ease and effectiveness of the digital darkroom, something out working in a real darkroom just felt "right".

I miss the darkroom experience too, but that's so different than the things I associate with handling a camera/lens, that I don't put it in exactly the same category. The things associated with film (weight, smell, the sound of it being rewound, popping off the end cap when developing, etc.) provide the transistion for the two different sets of experiences (camera handling vs darkroom) in my mind.

Thanks for reminding me.

airfrogusmc
36,335 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 17, 2012 09:02 |  #41

yogestee wrote in post #14101829 (external link)
Processing each sheet of 4x5 individually.

Or 14 sheets of 8X10 so the agitation is even and consistent. Bottom sheet to top so you are constantly moving the film bottom to top and you process all of you normal negs together or all of you N+1 together or all of your N-1 together. (Different dev times on N, N+1, N-1, etc) The zone system is a wonderful experience though the testing portion can be tedious.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 17, 2012 09:15 |  #42

I spent two hours in the darkroom last night making prints. :)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,902 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 17, 2012 09:34 |  #43

Since we're into darkroom remembrances, I especially miss printing really big Ilfochrome (né Cibachrome) prints, processing them, letting them dry and inspecting them, to find them perfect in exposure and color balance. (Those who don't have experience in this, would not understand that color prints are NOT able to be truly evaluated until DRY.) And when participating in a Holiday Print Exchange with a group of photographer friends, printing 20 or more Ilfochromes and finding them all identical in appearance, proof of absolute control and consistency in exposure and processing.

I absolutely do NOT miss smelling of Fixer all the time after B&W printing and film processing sessions.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

airfrogusmc
36,335 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 17, 2012 16:19 |  #44

Wilt wrote in post #14102397 (external link)
Since we're into darkroom remembrances, I especially miss printing really big Ilfochrome (né Cibachrome) prints, processing them, letting them dry and inspecting them, to find them perfect in exposure and color balance. (Those who don't have experience in this, would not understand that color prints are NOT able to be truly evaluated until DRY.) And when participating in a Holiday Print Exchange with a group of photographer friends, printing 20 or more Ilfochromes and finding them all identical in appearance, proof of absolute control and consistency in exposure and processing.

I absolutely do NOT miss smelling of Fixer all the time after B&W printing and film processing sessions.

The smell when you opened the tube was sump'm for sure. In fact it could make you really ill.

You should never evaluate B&W until fully dry also. I remember Adams telling a story of printing an entire exhibit and only having to reprint it because the highlights died on dry down.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 17, 2012 17:40 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #45

Seems like I need a 1D without the inbuilt grip.

But I miss a lock on the DOF preview button, which considering we now have LV seems like a no-brainer.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links

5,041 views & 0 likes for this thread
Things I Miss (features & experiences from cameras past)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.