Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2012 (Wednesday) 16:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

would this upset you?

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,556 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 17, 2012 00:20 |  #31

I didnt see an answer to this and not sure if anyone asked it.

What is the book for? Is it internal only? Is it only a few copies? Are they selling the book to the general public? Do you want to be known as a photographer to the people that would see the book?

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

sponsored links
jeaniulani
79 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 17, 2012 01:37 |  #32

I would be upset and hurt. Even though you don't do photography for monetary gain, that does not give anyone the right or excuse to use your images without crediting you.

Jean | Canon 5D Mark III + Grip | 5D Mark II + Grip
24-70 f /2.8 L | 16-35 f /2.8 L IS II| 70-200 f /2.8 L IS II | 135 f /2 L | 85 f /1.8 | 50 f /1.4 | 100 f /2.8 L IS
Canon Extender EF 2x III (Tele Extender) - U.S.A. | 580EX II | 580EX
Gallery: http://www.whatjeanlik​esphotography.com (external link) Blog: http://www.whatjeanlik​es.com (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 17, 2012 08:24 |  #33

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE would be somewhat upset about not being given credit for their pictures. Not sure what you can do at this juncture though. Complaining won't change anything for the existing book!

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 17, 2012 10:04 as a reply to  @ 5Dmaniac's post |  #34

Yes it is upsetting , but if you voluntarily provide the images for them than you pretty much gave them the images for free under their assumption to do with it what ever they want, same thing with Faceb..... if you upload images, see ya! Next time I would charge or give them copyrighted files. This is very common issue, no watermark - everyone assumes "freebee" sad but reality. I saw so many of my pics out there without my permission but am I going to per-sue everyone for doing so? NO. Watermark it is or don't upload your pics and don't give them for free even if you don't do it professionally.

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

johnb007
352 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 17, 2012 10:29 |  #35

Reminds me of my high school yearbook experience. At the end of school awards yearbook staff received no recognition but the school newspaper guys did.

No credit for pictures or the long late night hours in the darkroom....oh well.

-John
Canon 5DIII I 70-200 2.8L I 24-70 2.8L I 100 2.8L macro
500px (external link)

05Xrunner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,751 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 17, 2012 10:46 |  #36

peeaanuut wrote in post #14101218 (external link)
I didnt see an answer to this and not sure if anyone asked it.

What is the book for? Is it internal only? Is it only a few copies? Are they selling the book to the general public? Do you want to be known as a photographer to the people that would see the book?

the book is a public sold book in pathology. Its not I wanted to be known as a photographer I would like the credit given in the book for down the road I can put it on resume as i helped with this book. Just like I use when I have publications and my name is part of the authors.

But what really pisses me off about it..is I wouldnt have cared if they didnt credit ANYONE for photos in the book..but they gave credit under photos for images just pulled off stock photos of the product. So that person got credit for copying image off google and giving it to them to print in the book..yet I took the pics specifically for them and got no credit under them..

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,556 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 17, 2012 11:04 |  #37

that absolutely makes sense to me. I would be upset as well.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 18, 2012 14:53 |  #38

You are there doing job A. You are asked to do job B and you do it. Without asking for your permission your work is sold. I would try to use this work that you did with no credit as your ticket to negotiate a raise. Tell them you have additional responsibilities which result in a printed book and that you need to be better compensated. You use your own equipment which is probably worth thousands of dollars. If they want you to do on the job photography than maybe they should purchase all the gear.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,903 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Mar 18, 2012 14:57 |  #39

London Headshots wrote in post #14087422 (external link)
Work or no work, they have a legal responsibility to credit you as the author of the work . . .

No, they don't.
Where do people come up with these misconceptions?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 18, 2012 15:03 |  #40

05Xrunner wrote in post #14086737 (external link)
Ok so i just do the photography thing as a hobby..dont make any money just fun for me. So at work they asked me to take pics and have in the past and i dont mind doing it..So they publish a book and use about 15 images that I took for them for it and they came to show me today but they didnt credit me on any of the pics under the captions on them with info..I did this to help them out and not like I asked for any money but others in the past who used my pics at work atleast credited me for the photo on the page or brochure or whatever it was. This was a published book and I got no credit for any of my images. Granted non of them where any special type of photo but still other images in the book have credits under them and such.

It's happened to me before. Did you ask to be credited when you provided the photos? That is the single best thing you can do. Make your desires known up front. Don't assume; people cannot read your mind. Plus there are other issues competing for peoples' attention. You have to ask for what you want.

05Xrunner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,751 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 18, 2012 15:03 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #41

I just got a 25% raise last week that I have been fighting for about a year now

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 18, 2012 15:08 |  #42

I'd ask to be credited next time I took photos, and definitely would not listen to anyone who suggests doing anything that would potentially have a negative impact on your career. And to answer your question, yes, I think I would be a little upset.

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Mar 18, 2012 15:16 |  #43

No nor would I be surprised, however I would not be in this position because I would have made sure all these details would have been sorted before they had use of the images.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 18, 2012 17:04 |  #44

05Xrunner wrote in post #14108055 (external link)
I just got a 25% raise last week that I have been fighting for about a year now

Well, good for you. In the future, if I were you I'd work out a contract with them, since you were shooting with your gear and evidently being a company photographer is not part of your job agreement/contract. In that context you could claim copyright infringement if they used your work without an agreement that covers all the bases.

Like you say, you don't want to get into a wrangle with them, lawsuits and such. Sure, keep it "casual", you might think, and a "formal contract" may sound silly. But then, if a contract was made and abided by then you wouldn't be asking these questions here. And, if in the future a problem were to arise, including your leaving the company, a contract would be good not just for you but for them as well. In fact, one of the conditions spelled out in the contract could be how the photos should be handled and what compensation may be called for in case you were to leave the company.

Granted, this is "different" from "normal" things we produce for our employers. For example, when I did software development, the work was done on company time and with company-provided equipment, it was part of the job I was hired to do, and so the company "owned" the software that I authored, and presumably still uses it to help generate company profits, even though I am a fading memory to them...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,755 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 16, 2013 18:56 |  #45

They are (.)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

6,384 views & 0 likes for this thread
would this upset you?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.