Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
Thread started 13 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 17:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to blending/help wanted/Luminance 2.2.1

KatriS
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 13, 2012 17:16 |  #1

I got interested on "HDR" and downloaded Luminance. I already have Canon's DPP, EOS Utility and PS 7.0. I have a couple of questions and a few pics to show.

Does it matter if I set the WB before blending or can I do it during the processing in PS? Do I have to remember the EV's or can I just throw in +-1 and 0, does the program recognize the EV scale (0.5, 1, 2, ...) ?

I would also appreciate if someone could tell me more about the operators in Luminance. What should be done to achieve a good "HDR"? I used either Fattal+Mantiuk or Fattal+Drago but I had no idea what effect all the adjustments had. Is it possible to use more than just two operators?

What more can I do on PS besides adding curves and sharpening?

These are what I came up with today:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i284.photobucke​t.com …raffahdrvalmisk​opio-1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

My main interest was on achieving the HDR look so I didn't concentrate on the composition. There's a really dark area which I would have done different. What other improvements could be done?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i284.photobucke​t.com …ho/POTN/Nimetn-1kopio.jpg (external link)

I think I jolt the camera with this one eventhough I was using a tripod so the pics were not in sync. Can this be corrected manually afterwards or are all these kind of shots lost ones? There seems to be white lining on the top of the trees, where did I go wrong?

I know these are pretty horrible but I'm planning on becoming better :mrgreen:

- Katri

Canon EOS 400D + BG-E3, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + EW-60C, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM, Speedlite 430EX

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 17, 2012 08:34 |  #2

KatriS wrote in post #14080345 (external link)
I got interested on "HDR" and downloaded Luminance. I already have Canon's DPP, EOS Utility and PS 7.0. I have a couple of questions and a few pics to show.

Does it matter if I set the WB before blending or can I do it during the processing in PS? Do I have to remember the EV's or can I just throw in +-1 and 0, does the program recognize the EV scale (0.5, 1, 2, ...) ?

I would set the white balance during the shooting process, but it's not a must. As far as I know, the program will process each photo and find out which shot is which, so you don't need to remember the metering.

I would also appreciate if someone could tell me more about the operators in Luminance. What should be done to achieve a good "HDR"? I used either Fattal+Mantiuk or Fattal+Drago but I had no idea what effect all the adjustments had. Is it possible to use more than just two operators?

I haven't used that program so I can't tell you exactly what to do, but you should just experiment with all of the features and see what effect they have.

What more can I do on PS besides adding curves and sharpening?

Selective color, saturation, pretty much anything that you want to change.

These are what I came up with today:

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i284.photobucke​t.com …raffahdrvalmisk​opio-1.jpg (external link)

My main interest was on achieving the HDR look so I didn't concentrate on the composition. There's a really dark area which I would have done different. What other improvements could be done?

Not all scenese are going to have equal separation between the shadows, midtones, and highlights so you'll have to take a few more shots at different exposures.

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://i284.photobucke​t.com …ho/POTN/Nimetn-1kopio.jpg (external link)

I think I jolt the camera with this one eventhough I was using a tripod so the pics were not in sync. Can this be corrected manually afterwards or are all these kind of shots lost ones? There seems to be white lining on the top of the trees, where did I go wrong?

The programs that Ive used will auto align each photo. If yours doesn't, open them as layers in photoshop and align them there. This was shot handheld: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1161029

The white lining could be blown out highlights, if that's the case you just need to extended your bracketing again. Without seeing the originals, I could be wrong.

I know these are pretty horrible but I'm planning on becoming better :mrgreen:

- Katri

Answers in red. I hope it helps.

Feedback
Instagram (external link)
5D3 | Σ 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8

KatriS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 17, 2012 12:56 |  #3

Thanks for your answers. I have managed to come up with this https://photography-on-the.net …p=14083951&post​count=2457 and I'm pleased with the results. Next I'll be trying something more realistic.

Canon EOS 400D + BG-E3, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 + EW-60C, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM, Speedlite 430EX

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,869 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 17, 2012 22:35 |  #4

Here is a list of papers that review the TMOs offered in Luminance:

http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/resources/t​mo/ (external link)

follow the links to read the basis for each TMO.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

923 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to blending/help wanted/Luminance 2.2.1
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.