Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 19:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Um... do I really need a 5d mkII?

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 16, 2012 23:19 |  #16

tempest68 wrote in post #14100068 (external link)
Then either you've been lucky enough to have lenses that are spot-on, or you don't normally shoot wider than f/4. Having it on my 50D and doing some tests of my lenses convinced me I would not buy an older camera that does not offer it.

The funny thing is several of my lenses that need micro adjusting on my 50d are spot on with the 5d.

6D, 5D, 7Dii, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

sponsored links
Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 17, 2012 02:33 |  #17

What about lenses? No one asked OP about his lens line up. You need glass first.

Make sure you have something good to put in front of that 5D i or ii !

MA (mind you i have never used it) seems like it causes more problems than fixes. I hate MA and i will avoid using it. Why? Because people stress more about the AF and dead on accuracy than pictures themselves. People would never notice a little back focus or front focus and yet with MA it seems like people absolutely tear apart the lens and post pointless amounts of focus charts. MA Is right next to pixel peepers.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

razar2012
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 17, 2012 07:47 as a reply to  @ Bleufire's post |  #18

I previously owned the 5D and now own the 5D Mark II. The extra resolution of the Mark II is noticeable but you will need decent lenses to fully benefit in my opinion. I have recently been shooting a lot with Zeiss primes.

However the main benefits for me were:

1. The larger viewfinder (98% instead of 96% I believe) which doesn't sound much but has made a big difference in more accurately framing of shots and less post cropping
2. The rear LCD screen is much better and helps assessing your shots in the field in terms of sharpness and a better overall idea of what the photo will look like
3. Anti-dust system works really well, I was always having to clean my 5D but I haven't had to clean the Mark II once yet - I would buy for this reason alone!
4. I have found the Live View useful on the odd occasion when the camera is on a tripod at a height that is awkward to use the viewfinder
5. I know you say you're not bothered about higher ISO performance however I would say that being able to leave the camera in Auto ISO without worrying about quality has been useful in a number of situations, the Mark II high ISO performance is excellent

Overall I would recommend the Mark II over the Mark I. I think you'll finding yourself wanting to upgrade from the Mark I in the future, whereas the Mark II is much more future proof. For instance I haven't been tempted by the Mark III at all !

Hope the above helps in your decision making.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 17, 2012 08:12 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

I'd pick up a nice 5d for $700 and spend the rest on lens. If your main focus is portraits, the 5d will do just fine. you don't need the extra pixels of the 5d2 or the high ISO ability. Save $1000 and get the 5d.

NivoMedia
258 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 17, 2012 10:08 |  #20

these threads will never end. if you are using the camera professionally then get the 5D mk2 or even the Mk3 as it will pay for itself very quickly, if you are shooting for fun you dont NEED a 5 series EOS system. its like asking if a NASCAR racecar is good for getting groceries.

I use a {3+2}D Mark [10-8] and a (23-16)D and a Nikon D(75+75)x2s and a Nikon D(38+2)x

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 17, 2012 10:28 |  #21

NivoMedia wrote in post #14102510 (external link)
its like asking if a NASCAR racecar is good for getting groceries.

Actually, O/T, a NASCAR would suck for getting groceries. A 5D is still great for non-professionals.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

FotoDMick
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 17, 2012 11:25 |  #22

Original 5D is still a great camera. I would pick it over a 50D anyway. Great image quality, 12.8 MP is not overkill. I have usable 3200 iso images from it

marcosv
775 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 17, 2012 11:34 |  #23

If you could buy a 5DII for $1700 and a 5Dc for $700, what lens would you buy for the $1000 savings?

Personally I'd go for the 5DII. Micro AF adjustment is great when exact focusing is critical like using a 85L for a very shallow DOF shot. It also helps when you buy 3rd party lens and/or lens that are not quite in spec.

But, whatever you buy won't be your last DSLR. If you get serious, you'll need a second body for backup anyway. You might end up with a 5Dc 1st then a 5DII or vice-versa. And who is to say you might not want to dabble into video in the future?

EOS-M | 40D | 5DII | 5DIII | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-55 | 10-22 | 17-55 | 17-40L | 24-70L mk II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS mk II| 35L | 85L II |35/2 | 40/2.8 pancake | 50/1.8 | 50/1.4 | 100/2 | Rokinon 14/2.8 | 90 EX | 270 EX II | 580 EXII | 600 EX-RT

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
2,273 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 17, 2012 11:52 as a reply to  @ marcosv's post |  #24

Just got my 5DMII back from a 'cleaning and check'. The Canon repair rep said that, IHO, it is good for another 3-5 years. Save my money for the 5DMV. I'll be close to 70 then. Hopefully, I will still be vertical and above ground. lol.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 17, 2012 12:20 |  #25

FotoDMick wrote in post #14102799 (external link)
Original 5D is still a great camera. I would pick it over a 50D anyway. Great image quality, 12.8 MP is not overkill. I have usable 3200 iso images from it

That's funny, I'd do (actually, I did) the opposite... 50D has self-cleaning sensor, micro adjust and Live View.... not to mention better AF performance for moving subjects (an important factor for me, as was sensor cleaning)... and costs less, though maybe not a whole lot less now on the used market. The 50D is also a two generations/three years newer camera than 5D classic. (2008 model, same as the OP's XS, but with one generation newer sensor and image processor than the XS, as well as many other upgrades: AF, LCD monitor, frame rate, viewfinder, pentaprism vs penta-mirror, 15MP vs 10MP and much more.)

And 50D image quality is darned close to FF... Unless you're making big prints... really big prints... it will be hard to tell the difference. It's primary weaknesses: no video, about one stop lower high ISO performance (both of which the OP rules out as considerations). It's viewfinder would be a step up from the XS (bigger and brighter), though it is slightly more constrained than the 5D classic's.

A crop camera might have some advantages in lenses, too... One's kit can be considerably smaller, lighter and less expensive with a crop camera vs FF. The crop camera allows you to use both EF and EF-S and third party "crop only" lenses, too.... giving a larger overall selection of lenses than the FF that's limited to EF lenses only.

FF is nice... but there's a lot of hype about "FF goodness". Meanwhle, crop cameras tend to be the "Rodney Dangerfields" of the DSLR world... they get no respect.

Now, I'm saying don't get a FF camera.... Just to be aware that the 5D classic is now a 7 year old, 12 bit model, that tops out at ISO 3200, and was contemporary with the 30D and Rebel XT. It's still a great camera, but there have been some developments in DSLRs (some important... others, as far as I'm concened, sort of silly: video, built-in wireless flash for example). Though only one newer generation of 5D series has been offered until the 5DIII announcment this month, there have been three or more generations of of crop cameras in the same time frame (30D > 40D > 50D > 7D/60D or XT/XTi > XS/XSi > T1i > T2i/T3i).

A couple things with respect to the 5D classic... Hopefully any used copy of the model would have already had the mirror fix done to it... If so, great. If not, it might be needed some time.... It's all too common for the mirror to come loose (it was merely glued in place), but Canon will fix it for free. Also, there were some problems (not unique to the 5DC) with sensor cleaning fluids damaging coatings on the anti-alias filters... I think Canon might have changed the coatings late in production and sensor cleaning fluids were improved. These are a couple things to look closely at, if considering a 5DC.

No, you don't need to go with 5DII over 5DC... but there might be some advantages to doing so. Differences: self cleaning sensor, 21MP vs 13MP, top ISO 25800 vs 3200 - 5DII usable at least to 6400, IMO - 14 bit vs 12 bit, 98% viewfinder vs 96%, improved menus, 3"/920K LCD monitor vs 2.5"/230K, Live View, Micro Adjust and more... Things that didn't change much, if at all: AF performance, general build/controls/ergonom​ics, user interchangeable focus screens. And there might be some advantages to sticking with a crop camera, simply upgrading to a newer model.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,657 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 17, 2012 12:38 |  #26

Nicksan3 wrote in post #14102931 (external link)
... Hopefully, I will still be vertical and above ground. lol.

If not, horizontal banding will not be a problem...:lol::lol::lol:

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

jubilatu
81 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 17, 2012 13:16 |  #27

perryj wrote in post #14094010 (external link)
If you don't want a FF look at a gently used 50D ;-)a

only after i sold it i realized what camera i had... ISO 1600 RAW is exactly as modern Sony sensors (i am taking about real life pictures not tests). if its DR doesn't bother you much, it's quite a camera for 500eur.
OTOH, the 5d2 is only 1400 euro without the VAT - a proposal hard to resist.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 17, 2012 13:20 |  #28

Every one needs a 5D.
Find the way to get it though.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Zigot
601 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 17, 2012 15:50 |  #29

If you have decided for a FF, then get a mk2. It's a good time because start to get rid of it for the mk3.
And the price will go even further down...

7D2, 5Diii, 5Div, 70-300L, 24-105L, 70-200Lii, 100-400Lii, 135L, 430EXii, 580EXii, Σ50, Σ60-600 Σ150 Macro, ΣEM-140, LensBaby 3G, White lightnings, Bowens. Gear - feedbacks

MrNothing
125 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 17, 2012 16:01 |  #30

i've tried both the 5dc and ii (actually have it borrowed for the weekend) and they are both fantastic. if you're looking for just flat out FF, then nothing would be wrong with the 5Dc. that said, if you've already saved up for a ii, you should definitely go for the kill. even though both are FF, the newer features on the ii can come in handy and even if you're not interested in higher mp count, at least you have the option of cropping and maintaining the high iq.

sponsored links

5,014 views & 0 likes for this thread
Um... do I really need a 5d mkII?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.