Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Oct 2008 (Tuesday) 16:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me decide based on this info. (XSi vs 50D)

itang
Hatchling
1 post
Joined May 2009

May 08, 2009 21:51 |  #16

BlindGuyTakingPictures wrote in post #6579220 (external link)
Only used P&S cameras, but have done so for years. This will be my first SLR camera. So, essentially a novice.

Pictures will be both indoor as well as outdoor with the majority of indoor shots with low-light or rather want to avoid using a flash.

Looking at Canon's EOS Rebel XSi for a while. Although the kit comes with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens I am planning to get just the body and purchase the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 lens.

I was just about set on the XSi, but then started to look at the new 50D. This also comes with a kit (18-200 mm IS lens) but thinking of getting just the body and purchase the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 lens.

Am I going to see a difference in picture quality to justify the HUGE cost difference? For some reviews I seen on web sites comparing pictures, I didn't see too much of a difference if any.

Why should I get the XSi over the 50D?
Why should I get the 50D over the XSi?

Achieving the best picture (with minimal interaction) is my number 1 priority.

I was wondering how you feel about your decision half-a-year later? Thanks :)

sponsored links
colormaniac
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 13, 2009 14:19 as a reply to  @ itang's post |  #17

Hello, I am a new guy in photography and had a similar question. I searched the forums and got here. I have a XSI/450D and was wondering when I should look up to 50D (the price of full frame is too much for me and I would not aspire to making a living out of photography). Sometimes sales of 50D by members here really tempted me. After reading the posts here, I still have two questions:

1. Why 50D has a better image quality over 450D? I usually thought that image quality is determined by the lenses. Unless you go from crop to full frame, there should not be a big difference. Is that correct?

2. I don't understand much about ISO. Please forgive me for my ignorance and teach me. Somehow I dislike using ISO higher than 400 (with my 450D). I can see the compromise in image quality very clearly on my computer screen. Is the ISO function in 50D much improved such that this is no longer a concern, even when it is ISO 6400 or more? Why so many people crave for higher ISO capability?

By the way, there is a very long review (external link) comparing the two on Amazon.com.

Gear list | ModelMayhem (external link)
Hello, friends, I've been away from this site and photography for a few years. Too much drama in life. Now I'm catching up.

Wagspdx
222 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008

May 13, 2009 14:45 |  #18

I've been using an XSi since shortly after they came out (couple years?) and I've got some great shots from it. I now think I'm ready to step up to a 50D, mostly for these reasons:

better ISO performance - I've found that the XSi starts to get a little noisy at 800 ISO, which is often a factor for me shooting with my 100-400L in the field under less than optimal lighting conditions

micro adjustable AF - my 17-55 is front focusing a teeny bit and there's nothing I can do about that with the XSi

a little better cropping capabilities - not much but maybe 20% (?)

Bob
50D * EF 24-105mm f/4L, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, EF 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, EF 1.4X II Extender
Flickr (external link)

BucketMan
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 13, 2009 16:33 as a reply to  @ Wagspdx's post |  #19

If the 50D is within your budget, go for it.

Don;t get me wrong I have and love my XSi, however the the deciding factor for you should be the low light performance as you stated that was important for you. As mentioned before the XSi gets very noisy above 800, even 400 really is too noisy for me, so the 50D should be your choice.

Hope this helps.

| 70D | 70-200LII | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/%3Ca%20h​ref=
flickr (external link)

colormaniac
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 13, 2009 18:01 |  #20

BucketMan wrote in post #7915434 (external link)
If the 50D is within your budget, go for it.

Don;t get me wrong I have and love my XSi, however the the deciding factor for you should be the low light performance as you stated that was important for you. As mentioned before the XSi gets very noisy above 800, even 400 really is too noisy for me, so the 50D should be your choice.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! So, is it correct to say that, the most significant upgrades from XSi to 50D are:

1. the much better ISO for low-light situations,
2. its higher frame per second for fast-moving objects,
3. the larger file size?

Hello, friends, I've been away from this site and photography for a few years. Too much drama in life. Now I'm catching up.

BucketMan
936 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 13, 2009 18:45 |  #21

colormaniac wrote in post #7915936 (external link)
Thank you! So, is it correct to say that, the most significant upgrades from XSi to 50D are:

3. the larger file size?

I dont know about the larger file size, I am a bit of a noob myself. But the first two are IMHO significant differences and if they are important to you, worth the extra cost. I also forgot to mention the better weather sealing on the 50. I have had my XSi in single digit (Farenheit) temps. and snow with no issues, however have not subjected it to rain yet and hope not to!

Additionally, the 18-55 XSi kit lens was great, however I recently upgraded to the 17-55 and am more than happy. Yes, it hit me hard in the wallet, but this is something I am hoping to use for a very long time. The improved low light performace with the 2.8 apreature is great. The build quality is solid and has lived up to all of its expectations. This might be something you are interested in as well. There are a few for sale in the classifieds if you can't afford a new one. Oh, also Canon is offering a rebate on the 17-55, $70 I think, the 50D might have one as well, check it out...

Lastly, I am sure you will be very happy with whichever one you choose. Keep us posted.

| 70D | 70-200LII | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/%3Ca%20h​ref=
flickr (external link)

colormaniac
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 13, 2009 19:28 |  #22

BucketMan wrote in post #7916179 (external link)
I dont know about the larger file size, I am a bit of a noob myself. But the first two are IMHO significant differences and if they are important to you, worth the extra cost. I also forgot to mention the better weather sealing on the 50. I have had my XSi in single digit (Farenheit) temps. and snow with no issues, however have not subjected it to rain yet and hope not to!

Additionally, the 18-55 XSi kit lens was great, however I recently upgraded to the 17-55 and am more than happy. Yes, it hit me hard in the wallet, but this is something I am hoping to use for a very long time. The improved low light performace with the 2.8 apreature is great. The build quality is solid and has lived up to all of its expectations. This might be something you are interested in as well. There are a few for sale in the classifieds if you can't afford a new one. Oh, also Canon is offering a rebate on the 17-55, $70 I think, the 50D might have one as well, check it out...

Lastly, I am sure you will be very happy with whichever one you choose. Keep us posted.

Hi, BucketMan,

Thanks for your reply! I have sold my 18-55 a while ago on eBay and recently got a 17-55 from here. I'm still yet to see how great it is. I also have a 85mm 1.8 and a 70-300 IS. Hereis a picture with the 85mm. Others can be found here (external link). Since I have upgraded to better lenses, I start thinking that maybe a year down the road I should upgrade the body as well. :eek:

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 14, 2009 03:48 |  #23

colormaniac wrote in post #7915936 (external link)

3. the larger file size?

I would add another - the much better ergonomics.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

colormaniac
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 15, 2009 22:52 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #24

I found a good dealand couldn't resist the temptation :o:eek:

Now having taken 300+ pictures in a wedding with the 50D, I have the following observation:

1. The menu and control of the 50D seems more intuitive and convenient than XSi. Almost all information you need in order to adjust before you shoot is in one single screen. Also, in manual mode, changing the shutter speed and aperture are done by two different buttons.

2. I have not yet found a wireless remote control function in th 50D, which XSi has and which I like.

Allen ­ Vallecer
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2009

May 15, 2009 23:04 |  #25

I have both bodies as my first venture into DSLR.... both are more than enough for me.... Image quality wise... not so sure. In terms of ergonomics, I would definitely stick with 50D. A friend of mine borrowed his 30D for me to test around and i came to the conclusion that i should get the 50D, never liked the small grip of XSi (450D). Never regretted that decision.

ISO..... I have more headroom with 50D as i never quite liked the results of 450D at ISO 1600. As for the 17-55, will be getting it soon and should pair up nicely with my 50D. I'm more into sports, XSi couldn't quite keep up.... Also thinking of getting 70-200 F4L. 70-300 IS USM is giving soft results which bugs me a lot.

50D also has better sealing (the biggest reason i bought it since i shoot Paintball)... Managed to get some pallets on my XSi body which scared the heck out of me!!! and blew of my UV filter to shreds, thank goodness the lens was ok though.

Just my 2cents since i use both bodies....

Burnaby
345 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 15, 2009 23:37 as a reply to  @ Allen Vallecer's post |  #26

I have both, and from where I'm standing it might be too big a leap for a neophyte; I'll tell you why. The 50D is a lot more complex than the XSi. So much so, that it could discourage you quickly about a lot of settings, some on the surface some below - by that I mean Custom Functions which expand the capability to another more technical level. The XSi also has some, but I found them easier to adapt to. I have over forty years in this "hobby", and even I took a while to adapt.

Had I jumped in to the 50D sooner, I would have spent more time thinking, reading and researching instead of just shooting with what I think is a simpler platform, the XSi. Even now, I cannot imagine moving up to the 1D until I can master the 50D - it would be foolhardy. Unless you are really gifted, jumping from a P&S to a 50D is reaching a bit far.

My first DSLR was the XTi, and I spent two years getting to know the system. Quite frankly, I should have gone straight to the 50D because the XTi is not that much different than the XSi, but I relented and tried the slow approach. As it turns out, I've only used the XSi for four months before making the change. You might want to consider renting the 50D (or any xxD for that matter) for a couple of weeks to see if you really can adapt that fast. If you can, then go for it!

colormaniac
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 15, 2009 23:48 as a reply to  @ Burnaby's post |  #27

Yes, the setting could be complicated. Maybe I was quite engineering-minded. (Even in the soccer video game, I'd like to check all the numbers that represent all kinds of abilities of every player in my team. So, instead of intuitively using them, I am thinking in terms of numbers.) Ever since my old days with an S5 IS, I have already insisted using Manual for most picture-taking. The same for my XSi days (well, 5 months actually). So, now with the 50D, I feel like it's just a little step forward, giving me more control capability to manipulate. :)

MaxSteel
289 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 17, 2012 16:15 |  #28

samurairx7 wrote in post #6579505 (external link)
lol i'm curious why did you pick the 17-55 for you first len?

don't get me wrong it's a nice len, i'm planning on getting one too hopfully

I don't see why it's a weird first lens to get... It's a good walk-around range on a crop. I got the tamron version to replace my kit 18-55.

maxsimpsonphotography.​com (external link)

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 17, 2012 16:19 |  #29

what exactly were you searching for when you found this three+ year old thread to bump?^^^

MaxSteel
289 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 17, 2012 16:24 |  #30

h4ppydaze wrote in post #14103921 (external link)
what exactly were you searching for when you found this three+ year old thread to bump?^^^

:lol: didn't notice that.

XSi vs 50D on google

maxsimpsonphotography.​com (external link)

sponsored links

14,256 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me decide based on this info. (XSi vs 50D)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.