Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 17 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 00:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bad experience with ordering from Adorama

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 17, 2012 12:18 |  #16

this happens, i wouldn't consider it a problem with Adorama.

sponsored links
Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,744 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 17, 2012 12:28 |  #17

Billginthekeys wrote in post #14102876 (external link)
As for being harsh, I feel he was rude and disrespectful to call out a customer service person by name, with abbreviate curse words, as if she is supposed to come running to this thread to fix his issue instead of contacting her directly. Helen is an asset to this community, and yes customer service people have to deal with this sort of thing, but I think he crossed a line. Clearly since she has a job to do and would like to keep doing it she can't be "harsh" with him, so someone has to be.

While I definitely agree that Helen is an asset, shes also a rep for Adorama. She's here as part of her duties to Adorama first, POTN and all else second.

What entitles us to resort to handling the OP harshly? Although there are some that feel the OP was unreasonable, that doesn't mean that we should respond in kind. Helen (last time I checked) is a big girl, and I'm sure she will be able to resolve whatever questions the OP may have. She doesn't need us to defend her, even though I'm sure she appreciates it.

That's not to say that we need to treat everybody with kid gloves at all times, but the more I think about it, the more I see that something out of the ordinary obviously happened here. and whatever it was caused the op to have a negative experience. It's all about respect.
It's perfectly normal to want to know what exactly happened, even if we don't necessarily agree with the methods used to ask or find out about it.

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Mar 17, 2012 12:40 |  #18

^ I agree to a point, I do not think the OP went about things in the best way, but up until the point at which he asked "WTF is going on" he was pretty much doing ok.

Not sure if I am just old fashioned, and if that is the case thank God I am, but to use any expletive even if copping out by implying it, is completely unreasonable and were it aimed at me it would provoke an unreasonable response.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 17, 2012 12:48 |  #19

Poo happens. Don't sweat the small stuff. Stress kills. Stop and shoot the roses. Life is too short. Anything else I can add? A blind cat, short giraffe and a three-legged dog walk into a bar.....

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 17, 2012 13:13 |  #20

neil_r wrote in post #14103104 (external link)
^ I agree to a point, I do not think the OP went about things in the best way, but up until the point at which he asked "WTF is going on" he was pretty much doing ok.

Not sure if I am just old fashioned, and if that is the case thank God I am, but to use any expletive even if copping out by implying it, is completely unreasonable and were it aimed at me it would provoke an unreasonable response.

That is exactly how I felt, as soon as he resorted to personal references and "implied" expletives I lost any sympathy. I think there are rules about personal attacks on this forum:

4. (The "don't be a jerk" language)

6. Though we encourage members to engage in healthy debate, we do not condone personal attacks on members. Ideas can be disputed or challenged, but attacks on a personal level are unacceptable and when they are discovered or brought to the attention of the staff, will be dealt with accordingly. Ideas can be attacked, but individuals cannot.

7. You will not "stalk" or otherwise harass other members.

Maybe I am wrong, and his post did not qualify as harassment or personal attack. If they are even though Helen IS a customer service rep, I think she should have the same protection afforded her as a member of the forum as the rest of us per the forum rules. If I mod reads this and feels I am out of line I will gladly admit I am wrong.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 17, 2012 13:15 |  #21

I have had my best experience with Adorama and Buydig.
Just contact them in a professional way and you will solve your problem.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 17, 2012 13:57 |  #22

Leaving the emotions out of it, this is an informative post because it shows the difference in dealing with Adorama versus Amazon. I can order a knock-off battery on Amazon on a Saturday, get immediate email confirmation and be reasonably certain that the battery will be at my doorstep on Monday. Adorama has a bit less consistent process, particularly when weekends or holidays are involved, but they do their best to make up for it in other ways.

It's not a matter of who's better or worse, or nicer or colder; businesses just have different ways of doing things and this is an example of when it would have been better to order from Amazon. That's not to say that it's always better to buy from Amazon and personally, I'd rather see Adorama get the business. Actually, I really prefer to see the local camera shop get the business whenever possible - and there are no communication or delivery worries when someone has the item on a shelf.

"WTF" is a commonly used expression of confusion and doesn't necessarily imply an insult when used among friends. But, it probably wasn't a good choice to use in a mixed audience. I'm sure that Dennis didn't intend it to sound the way it did to some readers. And, the derogatory title probably wasn't appropriate but the thread wouldn't have received any attention otherwise.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2012 14:33 |  #23

cacawcacaw wrote in post #14103384 (external link)
I can order a knock-off battery on Amazon on a Saturday, get immediate email confirmation and be reasonably certain that the battery will be at my doorstep on Monday.

That's if you're Amazon Prime or paid overnight. Otherwise, have fun guessing when it will arrive.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Addicted2EOS
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 17, 2012 15:24 |  #24

HyperYagami wrote in post #14103498 (external link)
That's if you're Amazon Prime or paid overnight. Otherwise, have fun guessing when it will arrive.

+1

You paid $80 for that and Amazon has taken orders for items that were later found to be out of stock and the order cancelled!!

Canon 40D and more lenses than my wife knows about...

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 17, 2012 16:25 |  #25

I have placed probably a thousand orders with amazon in the past 8 years and had a problem with 1 order where it somehow didn't get shipped and I called and it was at my house the next day. I have never once had an order cancelled other than some sales mistake posted on slick deals or sites like that, so I don't know why you guys are dragging amazon into this.

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 17, 2012 16:37 |  #26

tekkie wrote in post #14103945 (external link)
I have placed probably a thousand orders with amazon in the past 8 years and had a problem with 1 order where it somehow didn't get shipped and I called and it was at my house the next day. I have never once had an order cancelled other than some sales mistake posted on slick deals or sites like that, so I don't know why you guys are dragging amazon into this.

Same here. And getting a Prime account is a necessity if you buy much stuff online. Free two-day and $4 overnight shipping can't be beat. And you don't even have to pay for Prime - just find a friend with it and have them register you on their list.

I have mixed feelings about the size of Amazon, their undeserved sales tax exemption "subsidy", and their inclusion of shady third-party sellers. But, they do have an overwhelming selection of products, good prices, and incredible customer service.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 17, 2012 18:12 |  #27

DennisW1 wrote in post #14101262 (external link)
Ok Helen, maybe you can explain WTF is going on......???

DennisW1 wrote in post #14102682 (external link)
Adorama's communication was horrible and misleading.

Actually, I'd say your communication skills are pretty horrible. Learn to treat others with a little respect and I think you'll find that you experience far less 'issues' in life.

My Gear List

Samgoit
826 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 17, 2012 18:21 as a reply to  @ bps's post |  #28

Helen,

Please don't reply to this thread. Don't waste your time.

You've been an excellent representative for an excellent company on this forum. If you reply, it might set a precedent and we'd have to suffer through more non-issue, irrelevant complaint posts in what is supposed to be the Market Watch section.

GaryS1964
457 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 18, 2012 16:52 |  #29

DennisW1 wrote in post #14102682 (external link)
Apparently a lot of people missed the point.

No I think you made your point. I think most here are like myself and have had nothing but good experiences from Adorama. But any company can occasionally have a misque. Probably what happened here. However they made it right without you having to fight them or even contact them. That's pretty good customer service in my opinion.

Yes Adorama wasted 6 days of your time when you could have purchased the battery elsewhere had you known they were out of stock. As far as I know Adorama does not have a history of showing items to be in stock when they are not. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes it appears they mishandled your order. But as far as I know Adorama does not have a history of charging a credit card immediately after the order is placed in violation of their stated policy. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This appears to be an aberration which they made right. So I have to ask as others have; What was the purpose of your post? A warning to others about ordering from Adorama?

Seems to me you should have addressed this issue with Adorama customer service rather than make a big deal about it here and request that Helen look into it for you. But that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.:D

The simple solution for you is to not buy from Adorama anymore if you think they are unlikely to provide you with the level of service you expect.

Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Tamron 150-600, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS ii, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control

windpig
Chopped liver
15,289 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 18, 2012 17:11 |  #30

Adorama is top notch in my book. That's not to say I haven't needed to CALL them if there was an issue.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

2,655 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bad experience with ordering from Adorama
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.