Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 17 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 17:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Views on office / studio layout

AlexMcCranor
219 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 17, 2012 17:50 |  #1

Hi guys just after some points of view on a problem.

Right as some of you know I have rented a small office space that I can fit a simple studio into. More space has came available and I can have it included in my rent but the question is how to set everything out.

As I see it there are 3 main sections I have.
1. The office work space a few desks monitors and printers, where I spend most of my time working.

2. The client meeting / viewing area this is 2 sofas coffee table a TV for DVD viewing and a screen for photo viewing.

3 the studio this is a while backdrop lights, the studio stuff.

Now 2 of these will fit in the larger room and 1 needs to be moved into the smaller room.

So the question is what gets moved?

I get alot of people walking in look for a quote or a chat about what we do so if I move the office I would have to take people into the larger room for a condeltation.

If I move the meeting room I will need to take people in there from the studio / office

If I move the studio it will be about the same size only limiting how far back I can get but still useable.

Sorry if this was hard to follow typed on my phone.

Would love some views on this.

Thanks
Alex

My Blog Alex McCranor Freelance Camera Operator & Editor (external link)
Creative Director at Workimage Commercial Business Video & Photography (external link)
Grimsby & Lincolnshire Wedding Video and Wedding Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Phototeacher
262 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 17, 2012 21:52 |  #2

Have the camera room (studio) in the separate space, since you may have to go to your office computer while meeting with a client and it would be easier if these two rooms were adjacent. Both the office and the meeting room are more "public" spaces than the camera room.

AlexMcCranor
THREAD ­ STARTER
219 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 17, 2012 22:07 |  #3

Phototeacher wrote in post #14105086 (external link)
Have the camera room (studio) in the separate space, since you may have to go to your office computer while meeting with a client and it would be easier if these two rooms were adjacent. Both the office and the meeting room are more "public" spaces than the camera room.

Thanks this is what I was thinking, downside of this being I lose some space but think the room is a good size for most of what I shoot, and I could always move it round if needed I guess.

Anyone else got a thought as I Carnt make my mind up yet.

Thanks
Alex

Creative Director at Workimage Commercial Business Video & Photography (external link)

watanabe
50 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 17, 2012 22:56 as a reply to  @ AlexMcCranor's post |  #4

I dunno, as an architecture student we always try to think of fun ways to mix up "program"(function) of spaces.

I would rather have what I do (photography/set) on display for the client during our meetings than a boring normal office setup. Think of it as marketing. Client walks in, sits down on a couch, and sees all your cool photo setup rather than some boring office computers etc.

As a bonus, if you put some effort into the "client area" (ie bought some cool couches/coffee table - or something grungy/whatever suits your image) it could double as prop/background for some shoots. Hell, you could even setup a simple lighting setup FOR the couch area with a backup cam (think cheap rebel/etc) and shoot a shot as the client was being talked to about packages/etc and have it come up on your demo screen. I imagine it'd be harder (or easier, hah!) for the client to walk away after seeing a demo of what you're offering them.

Gear List
5∞px (external link)

plusnq
254 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 17, 2012 23:29 |  #5

I'd put the studio and office in the large room. Think tethered shooting etc. and I'd put the meeting rom as suggested above as the small and first room the client sees. Use a laptop and you can move it between spaces if necessary.i don't like clients to see anything other than the consultation room until a session occurs.

www.balmainstreetstudi​o.com.au (external link)

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 18, 2012 00:11 |  #6

I agree with everything in the last two responses. Shooting tethered would be a great advantage too, and you could either find a way to connect to the screen you use for viewing (depending on size/location. If it's a big screen that the client has a chance to see while shooting, I'd opt out). A wheeled cart or small table for the laptop would work great too!

Richard
Your friendly neighborhood photographer/organist-in-the-making
www.anvil.cc (external link)

AlexMcCranor
THREAD ­ STARTER
219 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 18, 2012 06:31 |  #7

plusnq wrote in post #14105445 (external link)
I'd put the studio and office in the large room. Think tethered shooting etc. and I'd put the meeting rom as suggested above as the small and first room the client sees. Use a laptop and you can move it between spaces if necessary.i don't like clients to see anything other than the consultation room until a session occurs.

Sorry 90% of the time the first thing the client will see is the office as that's where I will be working most of my time. If this is in the large room it can be an office / studio or office / meeting room. If its in the smaller room then it's just an office and I can give out basic info and if needed take them into the larger room that is a studio / client meeting space.

Alex

dchen99
860 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 18, 2012 08:14 |  #8

Why do they want to see your office? To me office is the production area and the meeting room is your presentation/sales area. Can you move what clients need to see into the meeting room?

www.flashonstudio.com (external link)

plusnq
254 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 18, 2012 21:17 |  #9

AlexMcCranor wrote in post #14106230 (external link)
Sorry 90% of the time the first thing the client will see is the office as that's where I will be working most of my time. If this is in the large room it can be an office / studio or office / meeting room. If its in the smaller room then it's just an office and I can give out basic info and if needed take them into the larger room that is a studio / client meeting space.

Alex

Sounds like you have figured it out then.

Cheers

Shane

www.balmainstreetstudi​o.com.au (external link)

sponsored links

1,713 views & 0 likes for this thread
Views on office / studio layout
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.