Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 17 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best PC for Raw processing?

Moppie
15,060 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Mar 17, 2012 18:01 |  #16

There is a proper 12 core version of the Mac Pro, it uses dual 6 core Nehalems (i7 980s).

There was a huge leap in performance when Intel released the Sandybridge processors.
It wasn't the evolution most of the updates had been before, but a huge increase in through put that meant the same CPU clock speed could process sometimes twice as much information as the previous generation.

It means you can now get the performance of last generations $10,000 work station for less than $2,000 in a consumer level build.
It also means computers like the Mac Pro and similar builds from Dell and HP are no longer the meanest of the mean fastest of the fast beat all comers work stations they used to be.

Raw processing needs 2 things:
Fast multi core CPU
Lots of fast storage.
The whole process will only be as fast as the slowest piece of hardware in the chain.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

sponsored links
quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 17, 2012 18:07 |  #17

Billginthekeys wrote in post #14104221 (external link)
But if you want to be a mac hater good for you. Knock yourself out. An equivelant windows workstation is just as expensive. All I know is I haven't had to waste any time in the last four years updating drivers, fixing bugs, cleaning registries, running disk defrag, using antivirus software, reformating to clean copies of windows, and more. You cannot say that about the best high end PC. Ohh and I still have Windows 7 installed and steam with hundreds of games when I need to do so.

It has nothing to do with "hate".
You called it the best, and I pointed out that it is not. And when a system with twice the power can be made for a fraction of the price, it is not even a half decent deal.

Don't make this into a mac vs windows issue. It is not. Both OS's can be used on either platform.
It is merely a question of what you get for your money, in terms of hardware. And since a PC can be build with exactly the same parts used in the mac, a direct comparison is reasonable.

As for the CPU. You clearly have no clue about these things. Simply stating that it still costs $1000,- means nothing if you don't understand the reason for it.
It IS indeed a older model. And by far not the best for the OP's intended purpose. In fact, it is one of those things that you would never have any real use for, unless you know exactly WHY you need that particular model.

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 17, 2012 18:35 |  #18

quiksquirrel wrote in post #14104274 (external link)
It has nothing to do with "hate".
You called it the best, and I pointed out that it is not. And when a system with twice the power can be made for a fraction of the price, it is not even a half decent deal.

Don't make this into a mac vs windows issue. It is not. Both OS's can be used on either platform.
It is merely a question of what you get for your money, in terms of hardware. And since a PC can be build with exactly the same parts used in the mac, a direct comparison is reasonable.

As for the CPU. You clearly have no clue about these things. Simply stating that it still costs $1000,- means nothing if you don't understand the reason for it.
It IS indeed a older model. And by far not the best for the OP's intended purpose. In fact, it is one of those things that you would never have any real use for, unless you know exactly WHY you need that particular model.

I don't sit around and read up on the latest hardware 24/7, because I haven't shopped for a new computer in over four years. That doesn't mean I "have no clue about these things."

It was a tongue in cheek comment anyway, and a bit of a self mockery. If I were to recommend someone get a Mac Pro for photo editing, I wouldn't recommend the build that I listed there, there is no reason to spend $10,000 to edit photos, not even if you are a professional. If you wanted a mac pro, then getting the 12 core version for photo editing would be pointless. I barely even tax my 8 core version running photoshop, bridge, illustrator, and indesign at the same time. And even to get a loaded one, you would spend a lot less than Apple's 10K retail price by buying aftermarket ram and hard drives (both of which apple is known to gouge for the ignorant).

Unless something has changed in the last year, in "direct comparisons" as you call them, other workstations like dell, are the same price or more when spec'd equally.

When I purchased my rig core 2 duo was still current, and quad core had just been released. I merely point out that I have gotten four trouble years out of my computer, and with some minor upgrades I will get another four years out of it.

If I had something majorly wrong happen to this computer I would buy another one without hesitation.

I agreed that for the OP, getting a good i7 intel PC with plenty of ram would be her best solution, it was only after further harrassment that I even said anything else about mac. But go ahead, enjoy your superior computer knowledge. Unsubscribing now.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

jb_browneyes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,107 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 17, 2012 23:55 |  #19

I've got some updated stuff in here (like a new beefer graphics card), And I have a good monitor.
Since this PC was built for me by the local computer guy, How can I tell you what I already have?

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and website (external link)

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 18, 2012 06:44 |  #20

jb_browneyes wrote in post #14105513 (external link)
Since this PC was built for me by the local computer guy, How can I tell you what I already have?

Just go to your start menu in windows. right click on computer and select properties.
That gives you the basics.

From there, you can click on device manager in the top right corner to find more in depth hardware info.

Or just take of the side side panel and have a look.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,341 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 18, 2012 08:11 |  #21

Or go to Start>Accessories>System Tools and open System Information for a more detailed look at what you have and how it's being used.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 22, 2012 22:28 |  #22

RAM and SSDs. Most processors arent going to slow you down in anyway for raw processing unless you specifically hunt down a slow cheap one. The slowdowns come from disks and lack of RAM. Dont bother with less than 8GB, but leave yourself room to expand (dont get 4x 2GB sticks, get 2x 4GB for example). Make sure you allocate money for proper backups.

I use a Dell M6420 with 8GB RAM, Windows 7, SSD boot drive but the catalog and all images are stored on a very fast NAS. Excellent performance.

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

Hen3Ry
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 25, 2012 12:03 as a reply to  @ post 14104221 |  #23

I can't help but think that computer you linked to is a bit fishy. It's being sold in Australia, with W7 Ultimate and Adobe CS5 Master Collection for 1200 Aussie dollars. But it seems to me that Adobe's MC sells for $2500 US dollars, and Aussie and US$ are about the same these days.

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

sponsored links

6,631 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best PC for Raw processing?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.