Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 07:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 50mm F/1.4

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 18, 2012 07:51 |  #1

I am purchasing a Canon 60D.

I am going to get the kit 18-135mm lens. This year we are vacationing in June in the Yellowstone/Grand Toton area. Therefore landscape photography is my first priority.

Next year we are returning to Europe and I want to purchase the 50mm F/1.4 for a fast lens for low light indoor photo's.

I am acquiring photo skills, but I am still a beginner in some areas, especially what lens to use for what.

Does the 50mm F/1.4 have any role in landscape photography?

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 18, 2012 08:03 |  #2

It's not generally considered a "landscape" lens because it will be a little on the long side on your 60D. It will, however, work as a landscape lens just fine....you just won't be able to get any wide angle photos so you'll have to think about your framing a little differently. Being a short telephoto prime, it will limit your photo opportunities when it comes to landscapes.

khalood
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 18, 2012 14:39 |  #3

I am doing the same, as I am heading to my second European trip and having a crop sensor camera like yours, I am getting one of the 3 as UWA (Ultra Wide Angle) lenses to fit the purpose of landscape photography (just got some recommendations just to use my kit 18-55 for landscape it will be OK, but meh...the trip worth to get the best if I can afford it):

1- Canon 10-22
2- Tokina 11-16 (would have been my number one but I heard it has this minor problem of flare handling plus the second version is coming out in June so it will be the best UMA ever!)
3- Sigma 10-20

Mainly the 50mm is best for portrait (Google it against 85mm 1.8 to make up your mind) and video I will be getting a 50mm 1.8 ( I hear the difference is not that huge from the 50mm 1.4 when using it in aperture of 2.2 to keep it sharp) so I can safe the difference for the UMA

That's my 2 cents, and I hope it helps! Enjoy Europe and we might pump into each other some where there....

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 18, 2012 15:14 |  #4

50mm is just another focal length. It has the same role in landscape photography whether it be on a zoom or on a prime. If you are shooting at small apertures, there would be no reason to choose it over a zoom lens.

All with the 50mm f/1.4. The first 2 are on a 5D, the second 2 are on a 50D.

IMAGE: http://www.msbphoto.com/img/s9/v0/p985498552-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.msbphoto.com/img/s5/v4/p969486216-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.msbphoto.com/img/s3/v24/p300213579-4.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.msbphoto.com/img/s1/v20/p715143149-4.jpg

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 18, 2012 15:17 |  #5

jra wrote in post #14106457 (external link)
Being a short telephoto prime, it will limit your photo opportunities when it comes to landscapes.

All depends on what you are shooting and what your position is relative to your subject. Something like mountains, for example, may be better captured with telephoto lenses than with wide angle lenses.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 18, 2012 22:52 |  #6

Mark-B wrote in post #14108121 (external link)
All depends on what you are shooting and what your position is relative to your subject. Something like mountains, for example, may be better captured with telephoto lenses than with wide angle lenses.

I would absolutely agree....but, as I originally stated, the options would be limited considering that the focal length would be fixed. A person could work within these limitations to create some wonderful results.

Lowyat
331 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 19, 2012 22:00 |  #7

shot with 5D + 50mm f1.4

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7042/6841478340_3aa8d5e2e8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/michaelbyz23/6​841478340/  (external link)
Central Park NYC (external link) by michaelbyz23 (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF70-200mm f2.8L IS USM | Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L USM | Canon EF17-40mm f4 L USM | Sigma EF50mm f1.4 | Canon 580 EX II | YongNuo YN560 III
Michaelboon Photography Page (external link)
Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,404 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 50mm F/1.4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.