Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 14:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blue Screen of Death

Whaler
445 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 18, 2012 14:11 |  #1

On 1/27/12 I purchased a new Asus N75SF-DH71 laptop ($1300.) from B & H for the sole purpose of photo editing. The laptop has all the bells and whistles; i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, twin 500 GB hard drives, etc. I loaded Lightroom and a few photos and discoverd that when connected to and ONLY when connected to an external monitor the new laptop crashes/Blue Screen of Death when using "Adjustment Brush" in Lightroom. The laptop has been sent back and forth to Asus twice to no avail. Asus finally sent me a new laptop of the same model even though I requested to a choice of different replacement model laptop. The new laptop arrived I downloaded the Adobe software and as with the original laptop, the new laptop crashed when tethered to an external monitor. I immediately emailed the person I have been dealing with at Asus and she has not replied to any of several emails that I have sent over the past week. In an attempt to prove to Asus that the N75SF-DH71 has driver/hardware/softwa​re issues I went to Best Buy and purchased the cheapest Asus laptop they had on the shelf. I brought the $349 wonder home, downloaded the Adobe software, and connected an external monitor, also an Asus. As with my 4 year old Dell laptop and the Dell laptop before that the $349 laptop performed flawlessly. I scanned the Best Buy receipt as well as the serial number on the Asus box, and photographed the laptops together in an effort to validate my experiment. I put it all together in an email and sent it on to the person at Asus with an offer to drive to Fremont, CA and do a little 2 minute demo. I have yet to hear back from Asus. I think that as a consumer I have gone way above and beyond to demonstrate that Asus has a problem with this particular laptop model. You would think that Asus would be interested correcting the problem, apparently not. As it stands right now I am out $1300.

I'm a Proud Supporter of P.E.T.A.
"People Eating Tasty Animals"
5D MK II ~ 24-70 MKII L ~ 70-200 f/4 IS L ~ 580ex II ~ B&W filters (ouch) ~ Gitzo G1228 ~ Markins Q-Ball M10 ~ Epson 3880

sponsored links
Griz
168 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 18, 2012 14:18 |  #2

I would be insisting on a full refund and buy a different brand/model. I seriously doubt Asus is going to address and fix a very specific and highly uncommon compatibility issue which is apparently common to every unit of the same model just for you.

5D Mkiii, 7D, G11, 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 IS, 50 f/1.8, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5-5.6, EF 2X III TC, 580EX ii, 430EX

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 18, 2012 14:30 |  #3

I insist on a couple of paragraphs and a skipped line or two.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

geoffpowell
105 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 18, 2012 15:07 as a reply to  @ You-by-Lou's post |  #4

Take it back to B&H. In the UK the person you bought it from has responsibility for the product. It has to be 'fit for purpose' under UK law, if not, you are entitled to a full refund. I would assume that the retailer has the same responsibility in your country, and you have the same consumer rights. Did you buy it with a credit card? Call them, again UK law says that they have responsibilities too, maybe your consumer laws are the same.

Whaler
THREAD ­ STARTER
445 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 18, 2012 15:38 as a reply to  @ geoffpowell's post |  #5

To my UK brother, I tried to return the new factory sealed unit to B&H. I explained the circumstances and B&H would not hear of it because the serial number of the new factory sealed laptop was not the same. They also told me that they would only replace the laptop with the same laptop like Asus did. I would still in the same predicament. . . . my wallet is 600£ quid lighter with nothing to show for it except a non functional laptop.

5D MK II ~ 24-70 MKII L ~ 70-200 f/4 IS L ~ 580ex II ~ B&W filters (ouch) ~ Gitzo G1228 ~ Markins Q-Ball M10 ~ Epson 3880

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 18, 2012 15:47 |  #6

I'm sorry you're having problems.

Questions: do these problems only happen when this specific monitor is attached? And, do they happen only when doing the Lightroom adjustment brush, or are you having problems with other "heavy lifting" processes? Without the monitor attached, are you doing just fine?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Whaler
THREAD ­ STARTER
445 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 18, 2012 16:05 |  #7

Tony,

The laptop works just fine when NOT connected to and external monitor, Yes, I did try a couple of different monitors and the results were the same, Blue Screen. The laptop will also crash when using the healing brush in PSCS5. I'm hoping that Asus steps up and does the right thing.

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 18, 2012 16:11 |  #8

I'm sorry that I have to be the arse here, but your description of the explanation looks exactly like about a million others I have seen. In most of those cases, it turns out that it was a user error or a driver that needed updating.

Obviously I can't say for sure, as I have very little info. But I have heard about similar issues, that were not the manufacturers fault.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 18, 2012 16:26 |  #9

Whaler wrote in post #14108365 (external link)
Tony,

The laptop works just fine when NOT connected to and external monitor, Yes, I did try a couple of different monitors and the results were the same, Blue Screen. The laptop will also crash when using the healing brush in PSCS5. I'm hoping that Asus steps up and does the right thing.

OK, so I wonder -- both the laptop and the monitor are Asus? Did you try to install a driver for the monitor and update it?

Is the laptop using the built-in graphics I/O for this? I'm asking because when I had a high-end laptop I had it specifically ordered with a dedicated graphics card. That might help if you can't get things working with the built-in card. For one thing a dedicated card has dedicated graphics memory.

But yeah, those brushes can be very demanding on the system.

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Bake1tEazy
61 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 18, 2012 16:26 |  #10

Have you tried to find an update for your graphics driver?

Canon 7D and a lens or two :p

Whaler
THREAD ­ STARTER
445 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 18, 2012 16:29 as a reply to  @ quiksquirrel's post |  #11

QS,

I agree with regards to "user error" observation however plugging in a HDMI cable? No user error there. The driver is the most recent according to the Asus download site. If I opt for the newest driver from NVIDIA the external monitor does not function at all. Asus tech support has advised me to ONLY use the asus drivers. Last but not least, you would think that an Asus monitor would work with an Asus laptop.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 18, 2012 16:31 |  #12

Well, like I said, you might want to check out a dedicated graphics card.

Tony

Whaler
THREAD ­ STARTER
445 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 18, 2012 16:33 as a reply to  @ Whaler's post |  #13

QS,

I agree with you with regards to your "user error" observation however, plugging in a HDMI cable? No user error there. The driver is the most recent according to the Asus download site. If I opt for the newest driver from NVIDIA the external monitor does not function at all. Asus tech support has advised me to ONLY use the asus drivers. Last but not least, you would think that a 10 month old Asus monitor would work with an Asus laptop. As a consumer I don't think that this is too much to ask.

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 18, 2012 16:47 |  #14

Whaler wrote in post #14108509 (external link)
QS,

I agree with you with regards to your "user error" observation however, plugging in a HDMI cable? No user error there. The driver is the most recent according to the Asus download site. If I opt for the newest driver from NVIDIA the external monitor does not function at all. Asus tech support has advised me to ONLY use the asus drivers. Last but not least, you would think that a 10 month old Asus monitor would work with an Asus laptop. As a consumer I don't think that this is too much to ask.

You ALWAYS use the latest driver from the GPU manufacturer. In this case Nvidia. Anyone who tells you any different, is a fool.

You say the monitor doesn't work with the newest driver? Have you set everything up properly? Simply downloading the driver is often not enough. and multiple monitors should generally be managed through the GPU GUI rather than through the OS.

Many laptops use onboard graphics until they actually NEED to use the card. It's a basic power saving feature. In some (not many) cases, you actually need to tell it to use the card for certain programs. It is still basically a driver issue.

Whaler
THREAD ­ STARTER
445 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 18, 2012 17:04 |  #15

Thanx QS I will download the latest from NVIDIA and play around with the GPU GUI.

sponsored links

2,605 views & 0 likes for this thread
Blue Screen of Death
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.