Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 02 Jan 2012 (Monday) 11:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any Smugmug users switched to Zenfolio?

richardyoung
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2002

Feb 23, 2012 11:15 |  #16

I know this is a bit off topic.. but maybe not..

I have the free trail for both zen and smug..

what I need is multi domains listing or multi sites..

On my tumblr.. I log-in once... and have a drop down of like 5 different tumblr accounts.. I just need the same function for a photo printing site..

so for example.. I can have glamourphotography.com ( just and example) and have a completely different site ( different seo - different marketing - different images) fashionphotography.com for example.

The Art of Erotica • In Vegas - Lets Meet (external link)

sponsored links
hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 18, 2012 18:05 |  #17

urbansickness wrote in post #13714945 (external link)
was with smugmug for 2 years and switched last week to zenfolio.
mainly for me was lack of uk print lab and they were just slow to make the changes that everyone was requested.

Happy so far with zen although there help forum is pretty poor and customizing your site could do with being a bit more advanced.

Smugmug link with Loxley Labs in the UK going live 23rd March

Gear List

NYC2BGI
846 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 19, 2012 04:44 |  #18

I went the other way from Zenfolio to SmugMug. Smugmug just seemed better to me. I like the way a SmugMug site can be customized but I still need to work on mine.

Canon 5D3, 5D2, 40D
EF 50mm f1.4, EF 85mm f1.8,
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/HightechPix (external link)

richardyoung
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Oct 2002

Mar 20, 2012 11:16 |  #19

I test up test for both companies.. and i finally went with zen.. I am happy so far.. in the last 2 weeks.. I have had 6 orders ( small amount 40 dollars or so ).. of prints.. no problems..

and about 20 digital downloads..

I need to spend more time in zen and figure it out better, but it seem to work for what i need.. I didn't need proofing.. I have Vend for my high end clients.. and that is a better proofing systems all around. I use zen.. to sell prints and get licensed content out to the world..

The Art of Erotica • In Vegas - Lets Meet (external link)

Tum67
20 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 04, 2012 17:41 |  #20

Best thing I ever did was switch from smugmug to zenfolio

Moose408
884 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 07, 2012 22:11 |  #21

I have had both Smugmug and Zenfolio and am dropping my Smugmug accounts. Their user interface is just plain awful. Every time I want to create a new gallery or category it takes me 20 mins to figure out how to do it, and I'm a tech guy.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 09, 2012 07:42 |  #22

Tum67 wrote in post #15206891 (external link)
Best thing I ever did was switch from smugmug to zenfolio

Moose408 wrote in post #15220510 (external link)
I have had both Smugmug and Zenfolio and am dropping my Smugmug accounts. Their user interface is just plain awful. Every time I want to create a new gallery or category it takes me 20 mins to figure out how to do it, and I'm a tech guy.

Agreed.. Just switched my website over last night.. Photo management via Zenfolio is light-years ahead of SmugMug.

Zenfolio customization isn't as good as SmugMug, BUT, they offer the option for a custom, external homepage, which was awesome. Completely external homepage with no limits on customization, then an integrated gallery system for back-end.

So much happier with Zenfolio!

[ www (external link)· flickr (external link)]

ProjectNineFive
151 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 20, 2012 15:03 |  #23

I switched from Smugmug to Zenfolio three years ago and never looked back. To this day I love Zenfolio.

Project Nine Five Photography (external link)
My Facebook Fanpage<----ADD ME (external link)

pcj
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,037 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 27, 2012 09:05 |  #24

I have to jump on this - a few months into my time with Zen, after two years with Smug and I'm much happier.

To be fair - I get the impression Zen made some major improvements not too long ago - but from day one of my personal experience I have had considerably more control over the back end management than I did with Smug. I got the impression that Smug was written with a toolkit that was several years out of date, and had been patched and botched together to keep up - for example, the way Smug handled events was absolutely atrocious. Price listing, despite all the improvements made was still hard to manage and hard to apply different price lists to different galleries.

There were plenty of other examples - but when the price changes were first announced I was not inclined to lock my older, cheaper pricing in for another year ... I tested Zen, and before my trial was up I used the third party tool to migrate.

Since then - the Zen events system has been amazing for my sporting events that I shoot. I've made more in the few months with Zen than I *ever* did with Smug - simply because I can now communicate with the folks who register with me at that event! The galleries are nicer, the layout is nicer - it's just a much much better experience.

7D (gripped) | GoPro Hero HD | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 28mm f/1.8 | 3 * 600EX-RT - All gear
http://www.rt2photo.co​m (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/rt2photo (external link)

3DZukini
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Nov 27, 2012 12:43 |  #25

Hello, just wanted to drop in on this thread. I'm considering the switch to Zen soon, mostly because I barely sold enough prints to cover my SmugMug account last year. I noticed that Zenfolio also has a pricey business option, but it seems more useful for a busier, bigger studio than me. I'm looking at the Premium option, $120 a year. I haven't started my trial yet, I need to wait for orders for one wedding before I switch, but I look forward to it and bugging people on POTN for ideas or advice. :)

Call me Erich. :) 6D, 60D | 18-135 IS | 50 ƒ1.8 | 28-75 ƒ2.8 | 24-105 ƒ4L | 70-200 ƒ2.8L II | 11-16 ƒ2.8
Flickr (external link) ~ 500px (external link) ~ Taproll (external link) ~ effectivimage
 (external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 02, 2012 00:12 |  #26

3DZukini wrote in post #15295868 (external link)
Hello, just wanted to drop in on this thread. I'm considering the switch to Zen soon, mostly because I barely sold enough prints to cover my SmugMug account last year. I noticed that Zenfolio also has a pricey business option, but it seems more useful for a busier, bigger studio than me. I'm looking at the Premium option, $120 a year. I haven't started my trial yet, I need to wait for orders for one wedding before I switch, but I look forward to it and bugging people on POTN for ideas or advice. :)

Do it.. I was really worried about switching to them after using SmugMug for a few years, but it was easily the best decision I've made in a long time. Zenfolio is light-years ahead of SmugMug when it comes to image management. Now I'm just mad I waited so long to ditch SmugMug. I chose the $120 option (plenty of 10% off coupons, too) and it's been able to fully replace what I was doing at SM.

3DZukini
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 03, 2012 17:22 |  #27

Hi Brandon, thanks for the feedback! I just checked out your site, is that all made Zenfolio or did you mix with a custom site? Looks great! :)

Call me Erich. :) 6D, 60D | 18-135 IS | 50 ƒ1.8 | 28-75 ƒ2.8 | 24-105 ƒ4L | 70-200 ƒ2.8L II | 11-16 ƒ2.8
Flickr (external link) ~ 500px (external link) ~ Taproll (external link) ~ effectivimage
 (external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 04, 2012 11:31 |  #28

3DZukini wrote in post #15321969 (external link)
Hi Brandon, thanks for the feedback! I just checked out your site, is that all made Zenfolio or did you mix with a custom site? Looks great! :)

Thanks! As a solution to the lack of flexibility in customization, ZF allows for an external home page. In my situation this is a hosted wordpress site as my main page (and future blog, etc..) and then when you visit the links at the top, that sends you the the ZF galleries. I've put some effort into trying to make then two seamless, and hopefully it feels that way.

You *can* do something similar with SM, but ZF has support for this built in, and connecting the two is supported by them. That's important, so when a user clicks "home" on a gallery page, it actually sends the user to the external site. SM doesn't support that out of the box, and it requires some clever javascript customization, and maintaining it when you change things on the SM side.

3DZukini
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 04, 2012 12:23 |  #29

Awesome, that's kind of what I planned on doing someday with SmugMug, but I'll probably switch and do it with Zen if it's easier. I build simple web sites occasional in Wordpress, but I'm so slow at it that I have been putting off my own site, lol. I started one a while back but haven't officially started using it yet because the theme I used is more complicated than I bargained for. Here's a link:

http://photocedarrapid​s.com (external link)

I never got around to resizing the images because I was still playing with different layout ideas, so they load way slow.

(external link)

BrandonSi
Nevermind.. I'm silly.
5,306 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 04, 2012 14:31 |  #30

3DZukini wrote in post #15325394 (external link)
Awesome, that's kind of what I planned on doing someday with SmugMug, but I'll probably switch and do it with Zen if it's easier. I build simple web sites occasional in Wordpress, but I'm so slow at it that I have been putting off my own site, lol. I started one a while back but haven't officially started using it yet because the theme I used is more complicated than I bargained for. Here's a link:

http://photocedarrapid​s.com (external link)

I never got around to resizing the images because I was still playing with different layout ideas, so they load way slow.

Nice! Are you in Cedar Rapids? We're usually out in the QC area every few months with my wife's family.

Switch to ZF if only for the image management.. Once you use it, you'll very quickly be ready to leave SmugMug. SM's image management and creating folders and categories and subcategories was just so backwards to me.

sponsored links

8,978 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any Smugmug users switched to Zenfolio?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.