Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Mar 2012 (Monday) 00:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you guys move your AF point? And why?

JersFocus
572 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 19, 2012 00:04 |  #1

I just cant see then benefit over using the central af point and recomposing.

I must be missing something... Is it for ai servo? Seems like a big time killer.

Please enlighten me! /cheers

Gear & Feedback
Go Oilers!

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2012 01:05 |  #2

I use the center point for AI Servo for moving subjects, but otherwise I like to use outer points in good light. I prefer to frame, focus and shoot for my composition, and not to fuss with a lot of recomposing. Plus, when shooting with wider apertures, which can be common, recomposing from the center point can throw off the plane of focus so that what you want "critically sharp" can become "critially soft"...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

shayneyasinski
657 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 19, 2012 01:12 |  #3

tonylong said it!
I too will just use centre point and recompose when I am shooting some stuff but try that with a 50mm 1.4 and almost all the time your subject will be soft.

Nothing sucks more than a perfect shot of a girl on a beach with her ear in focus and her facr soft..

my gear Canon 7D, Canon 5DMK2, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm f1.8, canon 430 speedlight, canon 17-55 2.8 IS, canon 100mm macro sigma 10-20, Canon 17-85 , 60 cokin filters , 2x telecoverter.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 19, 2012 01:26 |  #4

Because of what Tony said and sometimes it's WAY easier/faster to move the focus point (I guess I do it a lot and it's second nature now), than to find a framing I like THEN focus/recompose...I find a framing I like, toss the focus point where I want it to be and click...or at least I did with the 1D Mark III haha...with the 5Dc it's a little different (fewer points spread over less area).

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2012 01:33 |  #5

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14111271 (external link)
Because of what Tony said and sometimes it's WAY easier/faster to move the focus point (I guess I do it a lot and it's second nature now), than to find a framing I like THEN focus/recompose...I find a framing I like, toss the focus point where I want it to be and click...or at least I did with the 1D Mark III haha...with the 5Dc it's a little different (fewer points spread over less area).

Well, I still use the outer AF points with my 5DC and older cameras, but sometimes it is needed to do a "bit" of recomposing, and of course the older bodies don't AF well with the outer points in low light and sometimes you have to juggle them a bit because they are not "cross-type".

But I'm not prone to complain about such things:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 19, 2012 01:39 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

This should be obvious (when one is experienced)
Recompose: when shooting 2.8 or smaller.
DONT recompose: when shooting wide open. (1.2, 1.4, etc)
I NEVER recompose on my 85L II. and I try to use other points when using 70-200 II but when I need to, I recompose as well.

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

icrot
69 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 19, 2012 01:43 |  #7

tonylong wrote in post #14111212 (external link)
I... when shooting with wider apertures, which can be common, recomposing from the center point can throw off the plane of focus so that what you want "critically sharp" can become "critially soft"...

is this only happened on older body ? is that why "cross type focus" coming as a solution ?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2012 04:26 |  #8

tonylong wrote in post #14111303 (external link)
Well, I still use the outer AF points with my 5DC and older cameras, but sometimes it is needed to do a "bit" of recomposing, and of course the older bodies don't AF well with the outer points in low light and sometimes you have to juggle them a bit because they are not "cross-type".

But I'm not prone to complain about such things:)!

icrot wrote in post #14111324 (external link)
is this only happened on older body ? is that why "cross type focus" coming as a solution ?

The point is that using outer points for focusing is somewhat more effective on newer systems because the newer systems have more cross-type points, so yes, it can be better, although with the older systems it can still be quite usable. As to your original question, it applies to both the "older" and newer systems!

Tony

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 19, 2012 04:31 |  #9

Tony said it.

It's simple if you're using anything other than a rebel.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 19, 2012 04:37 |  #10

SOK wrote in post #14111725 (external link)
Tony said it.

It's simple if you're using anything other than a rebel.

Or, you know, a 5D ;)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 19, 2012 04:45 |  #11

Sirrith wrote in post #14111729 (external link)
Or, you know, a 5D ;)

Really?! Can you not assign AF point selection to the joystick? Not even via a custom function?

(Don't have a 5D so genuine question!)

Steve

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 19, 2012 04:46 |  #12

SOK wrote in post #14111751 (external link)
Really?! Can you not assign AF point selection to the joystick? Not even via a custom function?

I thought you meant in terms of AF performance, not just switching the AF points. :)

Yes you can assign AF point selection to the joystick on a 5D.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 19, 2012 04:48 |  #13

Sirrith wrote in post #14111755 (external link)
I thought you meant in terms of AF performance, not just switching the AF points. :)

Hahaha. OK, now I get it! :D

Steve

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,529 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 19, 2012 04:49 |  #14

Focus recompose leads to focus error. And focus recompose is impossible in servo mode when tracking action. When I shoot sports I almost never use the center point because I want the AF point on the face.

Finally, bodies like the 1D line allow for rapid selection of AF points including handy features like a toggle between two points and automatic changing of AF point depending on whether the camera is held vertically or horizontally.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2012 05:04 |  #15

OK, we're getting confused now -- what body is the OP asking about, and what type of shooting?

Tony

sponsored links

2,469 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you guys move your AF point? And why?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.