Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2011 (Friday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RRS Tripods

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 25, 2012 22:49 as a reply to  @ post 13964201 |  #316

JJD - Indeed I will~! I just need to rent tripods from those "classmates" when I go for another birding trip~! Interestingly my travel compact (Fotopro C5i), which has a softer type rubber tip, does not creep when fully extend and only slightly when loaded.

PS: My room's wooden floor is only few months old and polished, that could be the reason. Creep gradually reduce when I retract leg sections, so I guess it associates with tiny tolerance of leg lock/sections?

Rick - I agree with you, but that 42mm leg of Gitzo 5, when stretch all the way and compare to my 34L, just "feel" a bit more rigid when you grab the top legs and try to twist it cw/ccw. As for real-life performance on this matter I can try it out later.

BTW, it really freaks me out when I saw those ppl with GT5541 just carry their whole rig on their shoulder while moving - I hope I will never see a 15k rig falling in front of my eye....

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 26, 2012 22:14 |  #317

roger1234 wrote in post #13967758 (external link)
BTW, it really freaks me out when I saw those ppl with GT5541 just carry their whole rig on their shoulder while moving - I hope I will never see a 15k rig falling in front of my eye....

I've been told it does happen. I hope I never see it either. I probably won't, I'm pretty old.

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 28, 2012 01:18 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #318

TVC-33

I wrote RRS on friday and received a reply today stating the wait for the TVC-33 is 2-4 weeks.

With that being said, I am now officially on the waiting to ship list :cool:

Can't wait to get my hands (or should I say gear) on these fine / sexy legs :lol:

His And Her Photographs (external link)
flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 28, 2012 09:08 |  #319

Good choice, you'll like it. If it's like when I ordered mine, it'll ship early.

roger1234
66 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 01, 2012 08:08 |  #320

Congratulation JJD! To make you feel even better I tried Velbon neo-carmageo 730 from a friend and the three section does creep a little at my room's floor. So basically all tripods with hard rubber all slip in some degree in my room, and it seem to correlates to the small tolerance of all leg joints.

Sorry haven't able to borrow GT5541 yet - they still had the mystical power that brain wash its owners not to let others rent home@@

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 19, 2012 00:33 as a reply to  @ roger1234's post |  #321

Received my RRS tripod and must say it's quite an amazing piece!
I ordered the TVC-33 model, but the tripod states model: TVC-3X
Anyone know what the "X" stands for? If not, I will contact RRS.

Thanks.

flickr (external link)

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 19, 2012 01:08 |  #322

JJD.Photography wrote in post #14111127 (external link)
Received my RRS tripod and must say it's quite an amazing piece!
I ordered the TVC-33 model, but the tripod states model: TVC-3X
Anyone know what the "X" stands for? If not, I will contact RRS.

Thanks.

The X is because the tripod apex is shared with different tripod models. All the 3-series, whether 33, 33s, or 34L all have "3X". The 2-series has a 2X.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

JJD.Photography
Goldmember
1,458 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 19, 2012 01:17 |  #323

Vermin87 wrote in post #14111223 (external link)
The X is because the tripod apex is shared with different tripod models. All the 3-series, whether 33, 33s, or 34L all have "3X". The 2-series has a 2X.

Thank you very much for the info :cool:

flickr (external link)

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 19, 2012 03:00 |  #324

JJD.Photography wrote in post #14111127 (external link)
Received my RRS tripod and must say it's quite an amazing piece!...

Congrats!

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 19, 2012 03:45 |  #325

Also, today I received the new RRS TQB-89 tripod bag. It's the largest size available and should be perfect for when I add a leveling base and clamp to the top of my TVC-33. The upgrades RRS made to the bags are substantial. This is the design the TQB-80 was supposed to be in the first place.

All of the quality is carried over - substantial padding and zippers with over-sized teeth, roped pulls, etc. (Though I feel the action of the Gitzo bags to be smoother, the RRS zipper is every bit as robust.) The added side pouch, also featuring a robust zipper (not as large as the main zipper) with large, easy to use pulls, is a very welcome addition. The side ID slot is behind a clear protective screen and hidden underneath a velcro'd flap. There is now also a mesh zippered pouch inside the quiver top, under the embossed RRS logo. These added pouched are all smart, practical, and needed changes!

Oh, and the top handles are a godsend. Why they were ever left off the first iteration is beyond me, but better late than never.

If you remember my rant earlier in this thread regarding what I considered to be shortcomings with the RRS bag, those shortcomings have ALL been addressed, point for point, and a little extra thrown in on the side.

I am now happy RRS tripod bag user.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

peter_n
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 19, 2012 08:48 |  #326

Sounds good James. I think I'll invest in the TQB-47 compact bag for my Benro travel tripod. My Domke tripod bag disintegrated and the Benro bag is too tight a fit with the Markins ballhead on top. Unfortunately the RRS web site is broken at the moment. Actually you often get error pages on it.

~Peter

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 19, 2012 10:15 |  #327

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14111620 (external link)
The added side pouch, also featuring a robust zipper (not as large as the main zipper) with large, easy to use pulls, is a very welcome addition. The side ID slot is behind a clear protective screen and hidden underneath a velcro'd flap. There is now also a mesh zippered pouch inside the quiver top, under the embossed RRS logo. These added pouched are all smart, practical, and needed changes!

Oh, and the top handles are a godsend. Why they were ever left off the first iteration is beyond me, but better late than never.

If you remember my rant earlier in this thread regarding what I considered to be shortcomings with the RRS bag, those shortcomings have ALL been addressed, point for point, and a little extra thrown in on the side.

Sounds like a nice bag. Just curious, is the side pocket big enough to hold their pano setup (rail, panning clamp gizmo and a couple of mini-clamps)?

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 19, 2012 15:56 |  #328

rick_reno wrote in post #14112827 (external link)
Sounds like a nice bag. Just curious, is the side pocket big enough to hold their pano setup (rail, panning clamp gizmo and a couple of mini-clamps)?

It's almost twice as long as an MPR-CL II rail and about 2/3 of that rail deep. It should hold the pano kit, in pouches, with room to spare. There is also the mesh pouch inside the lid under the logo, too. (This is for the 89 model - I don't know if the side pouch dimensions change with the bag model.)

EDIT: Dimensions of the side pouch are ~14.5"x5.5"

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

peter_n
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 19, 2012 16:37 |  #329

Unfortunately the TQB-47 compact bag doesn't work for my Benro travel tripod; too small in circumference. It's designed for the TQC-14 tripod and it doesn't have fold-back legs like most travel designs. It might be a good bag for a Gitzo 1542T though as that tripod is a similar design to the TQC-14.

~Peter

Kyles
THREAD ­ STARTER
377 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2012 20:20 |  #330

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #14111620 (external link)
Also, today I received the new RRS TQB-89 tripod bag. It's the largest size available and should be perfect for when I add a leveling base and clamp to the top of my TVC-33. The upgrades RRS made to the bags are substantial. This is the design the TQB-80 was supposed to be in the first place.

All of the quality is carried over - substantial padding and zippers with over-sized teeth, roped pulls, etc. (Though I feel the action of the Gitzo bags to be smoother, the RRS zipper is every bit as robust.) The added side pouch, also featuring a robust zipper (not as large as the main zipper) with large, easy to use pulls, is a very welcome addition. The side ID slot is behind a clear protective screen and hidden underneath a velcro'd flap. There is now also a mesh zippered pouch inside the quiver top, under the embossed RRS logo. These added pouched are all smart, practical, and needed changes!

excellent! congrats!

Cameras - 1DMKIV - 1DMKII - 7D W/Grip
Primes - 100 F2.8 macro L - 135 F2 L - 300 F4 L
Zooms - 24-70 F2.8 L - 70-200 F2.8 L - 70-200 F4 L
Tripod - RRS TVC 33 - RRS BH55

sponsored links

111,784 views & 0 likes for this thread
RRS Tripods
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.