Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 18:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is slightly overexposing the new black?

schlagle
571 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 18, 2012 18:06 |  #1

I'm very new to protrait photography. Never much cared for it but now that I have a kid, well, you know. Anyway it seems that most of the portrait photos I see are slightly (or more) over-exposed. Is this true? I could be cokmpletely off base here. And, if it it true, then why?

5D Mark III | EF 50 ƒ/1.4, EF 24-105L ƒ/4, EF 70-200L ƒ/2.8 IS II, EF 16-35L ƒ/2.8 II, MP-E65, EF 100L ƒ/2.8 IS Macro | 600EX-RT, 320EX, MT-24EX
PixelConceptPhoto (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 18, 2012 19:51 |  #2

Be helpful to see an example or two of what your looking at to really comment if it is over exposed etc.

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 18, 2012 19:56 as a reply to  @ Justaddwata's post |  #3

Pictures are really important here.

In general, it's better to overexpose than underexpose. But it's actually kind of a thing to underexpose in fashion pictures a lot. Sometimes people over expose a bit to get better vibrant colors.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 18, 2012 21:44 as a reply to  @ TheBrick3's post |  #4

An example would be nice. I see a heavy trend in applying lightroom filters that mimic bleach bypass and lens flare. I could see how that would look overexposed.
Meanwhile, with digital it is best to slightly overexpose. Check out some of the threads on "exposing to the right". That's not meant to be overexposed as the final result. But I thought it was worth mentioning.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

schlagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
571 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 18, 2012 22:28 |  #5

I'll try and find some examples to post. I just feel bad about criticizing another persons work when I have zero skill myself. I should also clarify that I'm talking about the skin being overexposed, not the whole image. And I find it to be especially bad in baby photos. But I'll postsome samples of what I mean tomorrow. Family duty calls at this particular moment.

5D Mark III | EF 50 ƒ/1.4, EF 24-105L ƒ/4, EF 70-200L ƒ/2.8 IS II, EF 16-35L ƒ/2.8 II, MP-E65, EF 100L ƒ/2.8 IS Macro | 600EX-RT, 320EX, MT-24EX

Ashura
117 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 19, 2012 08:58 |  #6

Overexposing skin saves hours of Photoshop.

flickr (external link)
50D, EF 24-105/4 L, EF 50/1.4, EF 35/2.0, EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5, 430EX, D-Lite 4 It kit

HughR
999 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2012 10:25 |  #7

The best approach is to expose to the right so that the histogram hugs the right side but does not cause a peak of blow-outs. This will minimize noise in shadows. Once you have the shot, you can adjust the exposure as you wish in Lightroom, Aperture, or Photoshop.

Hugh
Canon 60D, Original Digital Rebel (2003)
EFS 15-85mm IS USM, EF 70-300mm IS USM, Tokina 11-16mm
Speedlite 430EX, Speedlite 430EX II,
Qbox 16 pro, Lastolite EZbox 24x24, Lumiquest Softbox III

schlagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
571 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 19, 2012 11:18 as a reply to  @ HughR's post |  #8

Ok, I think this page is a pretty good example of what I'm talking about for two reasons:
1. The first, fourth, and fifth images have overexposed skin, IMHO.
2. This page is actually trying to teach you how to take portrait shots.

http://www.digital-photography-school.com …o-take-stunning-portraits (external link)

I guess I should also say that I like the shots in my examples and most others I've seen. I'm just curious is this is a common trend.

Ashura: I think I know what you're saying. Over-exposing does seem to hide minor blemishes. My wife likes her shots slightly over exposed for that reason :-)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 19, 2012 12:04 |  #9

schlagle wrote in post #14113183 (external link)
Ashura: I think I know what you're saying. Over-exposing does seem to hide minor blemishes. My wife likes her shots slightly over exposed for that reason :-)

Pretty sure this is your answer. An extra 1/3 or 2/3 stop of exposure will do wonders for a girl's complexion.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

schlagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
571 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 19, 2012 12:12 |  #10

nathancarter wrote in post #14113458 (external link)
Pretty sure this is your answer. An extra 1/3 or 2/3 stop of exposure will do wonders for a girl's complexion.

Thanks for the confirmation. I wasn't sure if this was really true or just my perception. I also wasn't sure why so many photos seem to be like this. Now I know.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,472 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2012 12:17 |  #11

nathancarter wrote in post #14113458 (external link)

:lol: so true. :lol:

BTW, exposure with babies is relative, if you're not blowing any highlights, well, it ain't blown!:lol: The kind of tone curve you apply to the skin makes a big difference too, but all told, when I'm processing images of my girls, I will use a soft, low contrast tone curve on the skin and push the histogram to the right.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 19, 2012 21:28 |  #12

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14113542 (external link)
:lol: so true. :lol:

BTW, exposure with babies is relative, if you're not blowing any highlights, well, it ain't blown!:lol: The kind of tone curve you apply to the skin makes a big difference too, but all told, when I'm processing images of my girls, I will use a soft, low contrast tone curve on the skin and push the histogram to the right.

Right. I don't think any of these look overexposed. If you exposed less you would lose the detail in the darker sections of the photographs. But lighting skin in he higher end of the dynamic range is nothing new. Google "high-key photography".

schlagle
THREAD ­ STARTER
571 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 19, 2012 22:39 |  #13

kfreels wrote in post #14116489 (external link)
Right. I don't think any of these look overexposed. If you exposed less you would lose the detail in the darker sections of the photographs. But lighting skin in he higher end of the dynamic range is nothing new. Google "high-key photography".

Thanks for the tip. I found some good reads on the subject. I was having a hard time getting query results for the suggestion of "exposing to the right" but I think it's the same as "high-key". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Its funny that the second article I read on high-key mentioned that it was mostly used for women and babies because that's basically what I had noticed.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 19, 2012 23:46 |  #14

schlagle wrote in post #14116975 (external link)
Thanks for the tip. I found some good reads on the subject. I was having a hard time getting query results for the suggestion of "exposing to the right" but I think it's the same as "high-key". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Its funny that the second article I read on high-key mentioned that it was mostly used for women and babies because that's basically what I had noticed.

"Exposing to the right" is a bit different. In high key, you are reducing lighting ratios. You basically use fill light to bring the darkest areas of the subject up closer to the same level of the lighter areas generated by the key light so that there are little or no shadows or dark areas. It doesn't have much to do with exposure itself. It's about how you light the subject. A high key photo can be overexposed, exposed properly or underexposed but it will always be low contrast. Most of the time you will see it pushed to the right just beneath where the highlights would blow but technically it doesn't have to be since it is a lighting term and not an exposure term. An underexposed high key photo will just appear drab and flat.

A low key image will have a wide range of light and dark. It will have a lot of black with occasional bits of full white. The ratio can run as high as the dynamic range of the medium you are working in. Again, this is about how you light the subject and doesn't have anything to do with the exposure.

Exposing to the right on the other hand can be done with any image - high or low key. Here we're not talking about the ratio of lighting between the lightest or darkest but the actual exposure you choose. The idea here is to expose the sensor more than what the meter says is accurate but less than what it takes to push the highlights beyond the capability of the sensor to capture the detail. This is to capture the most data possible since sensors don't capture in an analog fashion. Then in post you would pull the exposure back to the proper level.

I'm sure there are those who can explain it better but that's the best I can do.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 20, 2012 00:01 |  #15

Hmm. When I first read the opening post, I thought he was asking about the lens flare BS that seems so popular...

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links

6,708 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is slightly overexposing the new black?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.