Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 10:55
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "If you're buying the 5D3, when will you commit?"
Pre-order, to replace the 5Dc or 5D2
18.9%
Pre-order, my first full frame Canon
18.9%
5Dc or 5D2 owner, I'll wait until mechanical issues are fixed
39.6%
New to FF, I'll wait until mechanical issues are fixed
22.6%

53 voters, 53 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3, first user or wait?

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2012 10:56 |  #16

tvphotog wrote in post #14109288 (external link)
How long do you think before that happens? I don't remember the history of the 5D2.

? Maybe a year or so. On top of that theyre gonna need time to fix the issue with the 5D3 and/or add new features. There WILL be something that needs fixing. I mean look, they are STILL releasing firmware updates for the 5D2.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 19, 2012 11:03 |  #17

A year to drop $500 seems doubtful to me. I'd wager 2 years or more.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2012 11:04 |  #18

darosk wrote in post #14113097 (external link)
A year to drop $500 seems doubtful to me. I'd wager 2 years or more.

Yea? Well maybe during rebates or something Itll get down to $3100 or there abouts.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 19, 2012 11:18 |  #19

ben_r_ wrote in post #14113102 (external link)
Yea? Well maybe during rebates or something Itll get down to $3100 or there abouts.

Yeah, might see that. I'm just thinking about the 5D2, it first released at $2700 NIB and in 3 years - give or take - it's only now dropped to $2200 brand new from the big stores.

Of course, like you mentioned, we have rebates and holiday sales to consider as well.

Gear

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2012 11:27 |  #20

darosk wrote in post #14113186 (external link)
Yeah, might see that. I'm just thinking about the 5D2, it first released at $2700 NIB and in 3 years - give or take - it's only now dropped to $2200 brand new from the big stores.

Of course, like you mentioned, we have rebates and holiday sales to consider as well.

Wait, there are sales on the 5D2 down to $1800 from the big online retailers.
Just an example: LINK (external link), LINK (external link), LINK (external link), LINK (external link)
But yea, those are kinda random deals.

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 19, 2012 11:30 |  #21

ben_r_ wrote in post #14113244 (external link)
Wait, there are sales on the 5D2 down to $1800 from the big online retailers.
Just an example: LINK (external link), LINK (external link), LINK (external link), LINK (external link)
But yea, those are kinda random deals.

I figure they're sale prices in response to the MkIII just being released - but damn that's low.

Gear

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2012 11:34 |  #22

darosk wrote in post #14113259 (external link)
I figure they're sale prices in response to the MkIII just being released - but damn that's low.

Nah, theyve been popping up like that for over a year that I have been watching. I do a lot of product price monitoring and deal watching. You could say I have become some sort of a professional money spender! lol

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 19, 2012 11:38 |  #23

ben_r_ wrote in post #14113280 (external link)
Nah, theyve been popping up like that for over a year that I have been watching. I do a lot of product price monitoring and deal watching. You could say I have become some sort of a professional money spender! lol

lol!

I hadn't the faintest... I'll say it again, damn that's low.

Gear

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2012 11:44 |  #24

One thing I can say in my years of being a technology consumer whore, is to never jump on Canon gear when it first comes out! None of it. Not lenses, accessories or bodies. They ALWAYS considerably in price and most of their higher end bodies have issues that need fixing, so its good to wait it out a bit.

Now, that being said, I have succumb more than a few times to that "OMG I HAVE to have that now!" pressure and jumped when stuff was first released, and while I was happy I had it, I was upset with myself for literally wasting money. For example when the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II came out, man I couldnt do it, had to have it, loved my Mark I so much just knew the mark two was going to be better. And it was, but I paid $2300 for that lense and not two months later the rebates came out and deals combined and everywhere was selling them for $1975. I could have waiting two months...

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 19, 2012 11:48 |  #25

Ah, the eternal dilemma of the technothusiast, spend big $XXXX right now and get new toys, or wait til the kinks are sorted out and price has dipped?

BUT IT'S SO SHINY!!! Why do pretty things cost so much? :(

Gear

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,755 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 19, 2012 11:49 |  #26

darosk wrote in post #14113186 (external link)

OTOH, the 5D debuted at $3200 and dropped to $2999 in about a month.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 19, 2012 12:04 |  #27

RDKirk wrote in post #14113366 (external link)
OTOH, the 5D debuted at $3200 and dropped to $2999 in about a month.

Strange, that. Can't always tell what the hell will happen.

Gear

tylerpaulphoto
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2012 12:23 |  #28

I dont enough upgrades in the MKIII to justify the $3500, pure and simple.

Gear

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2012 12:39 |  #29

tylerpaulphoto wrote in post #14113584 (external link)
I dont enough upgrades in the MKIII to justify the $3500, pure and simple.

Yea the photography side, I feel the same. But its the new video features I really want.

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 19, 2012 15:27 |  #30

When the 5D MII came out in '09 it was $2,699 body only ($3,499 with the 24-105). Before the 5D MIII was announced it was $2,399 (this included a $100 rebate), so in 3 years it came down $200. Now that the 5D MIII is here Canon has lowered the MII to $2,199. I think the only discount you will see will be around Christmas time and it'll probably be a $200 rebate and expire Jan/Feb as usual. I don't think it will hit the $3,000 mark until the MIV gets announced or if sales completely drop off the map but I kind of doubt that will be the case. Not only is the 5D line popular with photographers but the movie industry is buying these by the truck load as they are more compact which allows them to be used in tight spots and they are considerably less expensive than standard cameras. There was a movie recently released, I think it's called Medal of Valor, the entire movie was shot with a 5D MII.

sponsored links

3,295 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3, first user or wait?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.