Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Mar 2012 (Monday) 12:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

11x14 prints

Neil ­ B
Goldmember
1,379 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 19, 2012 12:03 |  #1

how to crop this size in CS5 or Lightroom 4 for prints ?
please help me out, thank you :)

Website  (external link)Twitter (external link) Tumblr (external link) Facebook (external link)500px (external link)

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 19, 2012 12:19 |  #2

Set an 11x14 crop Ratio

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Neil ­ B
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,379 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 19, 2012 12:35 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #3

i tried that, is there any other way, without me losing the rest of my pic ?

Website  (external link)Twitter (external link) Tumblr (external link) Facebook (external link)500px (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2012 12:39 |  #4

Neil B wrote in post #14113660 (external link)

No. It's not the ratio your camera takes pictures in most likely. So you have to crop some off. When taking photos, you have to be aware of the intended use, crop ratio, etc. and then compose the shot to allow a crop to work - 11x14 is pretty close to the same ratio as 8x10, though not quite. I always leave space to the sides or top/bottom depending on orientation when doing portrait work so that a standard 8x10 crop will work.

Gear List

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 19, 2012 13:08 |  #5

This works in Elements so I imagine it will also work with CS5:

Draw the crop box with the desired aspect ratio anywhere on the image.

Next, drag any part of the crop box outside any border or corner of the image.

(This two-step approach is necessary because you can't initially stretch a crop box beyond the image borders, but you can drag it outside once it is created.)

Then enlarge the crop box to encompass all of the image plus some overlap beyond the image borders. Center the image within the crop box as desired.

Select OK. That will add canvas to your image so that it now has a border. The border will be the color of your currently set background color. The resulting image will be the desired aspect ratio and you will not lose any of the original image.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2012 13:09 |  #6

Rimmer wrote in post #14113814 (external link)
This works in Elements so I imagine it will also work with CS5:

Draw the crop box with the desired aspect ratio anywhere on the image.

Next, drag any part of the crop box outside any border or corner of the image.

(This two-step approach is necessary because you can't initially stretch a crop box beyond the image borders, but you can drag it outside once it is created.)

Then enlarge the crop box to encompass all of the image plus some overlap beyond the image borders. Center the image within the crop box as desired.

Select OK. That will add canvas to your image so that it now has a border. The border will be the color of your currently set background color. The resulting image will be the desired aspect ratio and you will not lose any of the original image.

And you won't have an 11x14 image either. You'll have a smaller image with a border.

Gear List

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 19, 2012 13:21 |  #7

Are you worried about losing the rest of the image for purposes of printing? In this case there's not a lot you can do about it except by either re-sizing the image to the 11X14 ratio from its original 2X3 ratio (which will distort it), or doing what Rimmer suggested and cropping a larger area than your original image so you have the original image inside a larger 11X14 blank (or whatever color you want to fill with) background.

If you're worried about losing the rest of the image for purposes of saving after you've cropped, just save the cropped image as a new file, such as [original file name]11X14.jpg.

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 19, 2012 13:24 |  #8

As long as you don't enter a value in the ppi field (in PS), or don't resize upon export in LR, you won't loose anything except the part you're cropping off.
The fact that you need to crop off a part is because your camera shoots in a 2:3 ratio.

Similar: (from another thread about the same subject)

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20100331-g3exbhk8cw5kp75yifjnd8gjf8.preview.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://skitch.com/ren​edamkot/nhiti/photosho​p  (external link) Click for large view (external link)

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20100331-fa9thkfrrer7w6etfd4672q9i1.preview.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://skitch.com/ren​edamkot/nhi1r/photosho​p  (external link) Click for large view (external link)

IMAGE: https://img.skitch.com/20100331-tawggf5949h39egyhnq38jca9f.preview.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://skitch.com/ren​edamkot/nhi1w/photosho​p  (external link) Click for large view (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

nate42nd
767 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 19, 2012 14:41 |  #9

I actually made an attempt at explaining this on video. Maybe it will help, although I think Rene did a good job. I cover the aspect ratio of your camera and what you loose if you print. Fast forward to 2:00 for the juicy stuff.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=sD7ycg_KZAY (external link)

7D - - 17-55 F/2.8 - 24-105 F/4L - 100mm F/2.8 - 50mm F/1.8 - S95 / To see all click here
My Flickr (external link)

Maurice ­ A.
109 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 19, 2012 15:01 |  #10

Save your crop as a copy ,then you will keep the original :) .

M. Aucoin

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 19, 2012 15:56 |  #11

As has been said, to get a "full bleed" print at 11x14 you have to either crop some of the image off or stretch it to fit.

If you don't want to do that you will need to add borders as has been discussed.

This can be done in Photoshop with a lot of creative options.

In Lightroom, you won't be able to work directly with graphical frames/borders. You could lay out an image onto a particular paper size, centered. If you have to export to a lab, you could try the Lightroom Print to File function.

There is also the Mogrify plug-in for Lightroom with which you can do more work with borders.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Neil ­ B
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,379 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 19, 2012 18:58 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #12

thank you everyone, i appreciate all the tips !! :)

sponsored links

2,567 views & 0 likes for this thread
11x14 prints
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.