Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 21:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tell Me Again How Great Apple is PLEASE

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 19, 2012 10:16 |  #31

gjl711 wrote in post #14112807 (external link)
Just curious. I admit am a former member of the Apple brigade, but why would tech support be swamped on the first day? Aren't these things pretty much take them out of the box and turn them on?

If things were as user friendly and just worked and never had problems as Apple and their fanboys would have you believe, then a support number wouldn't even exist.

Gear List

sponsored links
Bilsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,864 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 19, 2012 10:16 |  #32

computerguru3190 wrote in post #14112748 (external link)
Actually, if you go into your account and change the primary email there, you retain the apps you have purchased. I've done this two or three times and have hundreds of dollars apps from over the years. I still have access to every app I've purchased.

Tried this exactly as you say but my iPad keeps coming up with my former ID and then tells me my password is invalid. If you know of a way to change the ID/Primary e-mail address on the iPad itself, I'd love to hear it.

BILSEN (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D/T3i; 70D & 1D Mk2
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50 mm 1.4; 18-55 IS;55-250 IS; 85mm f1.4 Sekonic L-358; 580EX & (2) 430EX
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio​.com (external link)

vpman
41 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 19, 2012 10:30 |  #33

I tossed all my Pc's in the dumpster when the service pack 2 came out, which locked me out of my windows on all my puters. I was one of the lucky ones when it was released I said yes I want to download. The first few million people got the service pac that downloaded in the wrong order and lost everything on all my puters. That was 02 or 03 I think. I went out and bought Mac's. I have never had a single problem with any of the 4- 17 inch MacBooks, g5 with 30 inch monitor, 7- iMac's, 4- iPhones 1 iPad and a fews iPods. Every time I call tech support it has been a pleasure. What was we talking about again?

Windsun33
208 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 19, 2012 10:39 |  #34

Over the past 20 years or so with computers, I also have had many issues with Windows, but I have to say that since Win7 came out I have had zero issues. On the other hand,

My first real camera was a Canon F1. That was a long time ago.

computerguru3190
380 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 19, 2012 10:45 |  #35

johngalt_ny wrote in post #14112838 (external link)
Tried this exactly as you say but my iPad keeps coming up with my former ID and then tells me my password is invalid. If you know of a way to change the ID/Primary e-mail address on the iPad itself, I'd love to hear it.

Go into the settings and if you have iCloud, change the account there and then log out from the app store and log in with your new account. Hopefully that should fix the iPad issue. If your still having issues, send me a PM, I'm tested on all the Apple systems for work so I can prob help you out.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 19, 2012 11:59 |  #36

gjl711 wrote in post #14112807 (external link)
Just curious. I admit am a former member of the Apple brigade, but why would tech support be swamped on the first day? Aren't these things pretty much take them out of the box and turn them on?

Apparently they were inundated with users wanting to know where the USB ports were, how to increase the memory, how to run VisiCalc, how to connect a SCSi hard drive and how to get it to make toast.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,258 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 19, 2012 12:13 |  #37

vpman wrote in post #14112884 (external link)
I tossed all my Pc's in the dumpster when the service pack 2 came out, which locked me out of my windows on all my puters. I was one of the lucky ones when it was released I said yes I want to download. The first few million people got the service pac that downloaded in the wrong order and lost everything on all my puters. That was 02 or 03 I think. I went out and bought Mac's. I have never had a single problem with any of the 4- 17 inch MacBooks, g5 with 30 inch monitor, 7- iMac's, 4- iPhones 1 iPad and a fews iPods. Every time I call tech support it has been a pleasure. What was we talking about again?

This is exactly what happened to me! My reliable Dell died upon infiltration of Service Pack 2 in fall 2004. Called Dell, they told me to call Microsoft. Called Microsoft, they told me to call Dell. Switched to Mac, and I've been remarkably satisfied since. Nothings perfect, particularly in the world of computers, but my Mac experience has proven much more enjoyable than that with PCs. In fairness, my last dealings with Windows was with XP; I'm sure things have improved with Windows 7 and beyond. Still, I'm sticking with Mac.

August 2021-May 2022 (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
12,557 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 19, 2012 12:37 |  #38

We have Apple iPads and iPhones, and that's it for our household, but I do regard Apple as pretty excellent on service. The wise thing to bear in mind when dealing with any company as big as Apple, no matter how "great" they might be, there will always be letdowns and problems with service, support, or any other matter. That's just reality; an unavoidable reality. Hopefully most are wise enough to understand that, but when bad service happens to us...of course we don't like it and it's hard to maintain perspective.

For my part, I dropped my iPad 1 last year. Broke the screen. Took it to the Apple store to see if anything could be done. It was out of warranty and the warranty doesn't cover dufus-disasters like me dropping it on a hotel tile floor. I explained to the Apple tech person that I completely understood, and was about to leave the store sad (but not dissatisfied), but Apple tech shocked me saying he was authorized to replace it absolutely free of charge for me. I walked out the store in minutes with completely new iPad (an iPad 1 that exactly matched the specs on my broken one). I screwed up; I dropped the iPad, but Apple replaced it for me at no charge to me. That kind of thing will really stick with you...and that was my experience that validates Apple as pretty great. :D

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony: α7R II | Sony: 24GM, 35GM, 12-24GM, 24-105G, 200-600G | Sigma Art: 35 F1.2, 105 Macro | Zeiss Batis: 85, 135 | Zeiss Loxia: 21, 35, 85

mattyb240
844 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 19, 2012 14:13 |  #39

I mean this with the most respect, if you googled the issue you would have just done a restore on you lr computer. It's really crap you got disconnected three times, people try an do there best to help people, they didn't make your device or make it break. Book an appointment and a have a chat, ignore the titles they have and see them as humans. For people who don't like to book, would you turn up at your doctors and expect to be seen? There busy places, booking allows you to have that time with someone and not have other people saying "hey I was first". Hope it gets fixed!

As for the poster who said the update was forced? I'm not sure how no one makes you press the button.

Deviant Art (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,936 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, USA, now in Washington state, USA, road trip back and forth a lot

Mar 19, 2012 16:49 |  #40

johngalt_ny wrote in post #14110713 (external link)
I'd point out that I recognized the iPad 3 debut and that would possibly excuse a long wait time on hold BUT BUT BUT , there is no excuse for them hanging up on me not once, but three times.

They hung up on you? How do you know they hung up on you, and that it wasn't caused by a bad connection, or by glitches caused by an overloaded switchboard?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,915 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 19, 2012 18:49 |  #41

mattyb240 wrote in post #14114159 (external link)
I mean this with the most respect, if you googled the issue you would have just done a restore on you lr computer.

As for the poster who said the update was forced? I'm not sure how no one makes you press the button.

How things have changed. Isn't this the same advice we used to give for PC issues? Here, watch this:

vpman wrote in post #14112884 (external link)

I mean this with the most respect, if you just reformatted those machines they would have been fine.

As for the update being forced, SP2 was optional at the time it came out.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

Emergency ­ Exit
223 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 20, 2012 02:16 |  #42

Tom Reichner wrote in post #14114981 (external link)
They hung up on you? How do you know they hung up on you, and that it wasn't caused by a bad connection, or by glitches caused by an overloaded switchboard?

So is anybody else experiencing these kinds of problems? Losing connection with TS?

Now, if it's a bad connection issue with only with the OP, then the OP should probably look into his phone connection system (but which also brings the question whether he had disconnection issues with others as well, not only Apple).

If it's Apple deliberately hanging up on the OP (due to overload, etc...), I would definitely not appreciate it (note my understatement). Them the finger somewhat lies on Apple for refusing proper service when they could have. Even if this was perfectly legal to do as a company, Apple would still be risking their reputation/image.

If it's Apple not deliberately hanging up, but many people other than the OP are having the same issues, and Apple is aware of it, again, Apple is risking big by not keeping up to customer demands. I would again not appreciate the company. The power station (called PLN) in my town is notorious for city-wide blackouts almost every day, 2-4 hours each. I've lived here for around 8 years now. The city has grown, the transportation infrastructure has expanded, commerce has been booming. But not PLN. As the city grows, electricity demand is ever rising, but PLN has taken very few, if not negligible steps to address this increase in demand. Our 1-year old generator is already registering 150 hours (that accounts for less than 1/4 the total blackout time). This, obviously, makes be very ... vmad ... frustrated.

Although I understand that Apple is a huge company and probably can't take care of everything, I would still not completely appreciate a company that doesn't continuously try their best for perfection. But again, not jumping at conclusions - we don't know for sure that Apple is not trying their best. My conclusion is regarding "if" Apple is not trying their best.

Emergency Exit Pictures (external link)
EOS 60D Gripped | EF 70-200 f/4L IS USM | EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Speedlite 430EX II
Full Goodies List

djentley
386 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 20, 2012 04:02 as a reply to  @ post 14111243 |  #43

I love Apple. They have great ideas.

Then HTC or Google (via Android) gets a hold of them and makes them actually usable and enjoyable. :lol:

My 500px. (external link) I like action (external link) and volcanoes. (external link) Dragons (external link) and temples (external link) are fine, too!
I don't think the Earth revolves around me. It revolves around the Sun, which shines out of my ass.

London ­ Headshots
63 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 20, 2012 08:08 |  #44

Can't stand Apple. I have an iPad, iPhone and iMac, and all three of them contain restrictions or design elements that baffle me to the point that I fully believe they're deliberately witheld. Windows based alternatives are even worse though.

I think I'm one of the few who anxiously awaits Apple's collapse, because as far as I can see, it has completely stultified real creativity in an era where potential is limitless.

London Headshots (external link)
Like my Facebook Page (external link)
Headshot Photographer (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,703 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 20, 2012 08:10 |  #45

London Headshots wrote in post #14118495 (external link)
...all three of them contain restrictions or design elements that baffle me to the point that I fully believe they're deliberately witheld. Windows based alternatives are even worse though....

Just curious, what restrictions or design elements are so baffling?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

15,835 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tell Me Again How Great Apple is PLEASE
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.