Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 22:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 5D3 has banding issues. (pattern noise)

solesupremebeing
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:07 |  #421

Ricku wrote in post #14114420 (external link)
I supposee you mean blowing out the highlights?

No thanks. :)

Graduated ND filter?

sponsored links
Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 19, 2012 15:09 |  #422

solesupremebeing wrote in post #14114445 (external link)
Graduated ND filter?

Only works when the horizon's flat and your lens has a flat front element (or is a Nikon 14-24L, which has a dedicated Lee filter holder for extra-large filters).

solesupremebeing
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:09 |  #423

Ricku wrote in post #14114420 (external link)
So the best solution is to demand better DR from Canon or switch brands.

Well there you have it, you've found your own solution, so why not do that and quit complaining about a camera that you don't even own and nobody is forcing you to buy?

solesupremebeing
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:11 |  #424

Shadowblade wrote in post #14114456 (external link)
Only works when the horizon's flat and your lens has a flat front element (or is a Nikon 14-24L, which has a dedicated Lee filter holder for extra-large filters).

Oh right, so you're talking about a VERY specific set of circumstances that 99% of photographers won't encounter?

Ricku
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2012 15:14 |  #425
bannedPermanent ban

solesupremebeing wrote in post #14114459 (external link)
Well there you have it, you've found your own solution, so why not do that and quit complaining about a camera that you don't even own and nobody is forcing you to buy?

Why are you telling me to do something that I am already doing? I am switching to Nikon, but that doesn't stop me from correcting other people when they are wrong. :)

Graduated ND filter?

Don't make me laugh.

It seems that you are kinda new to photography, aren't you?

5D II 35L 135L 70-200 2.8L II Flickr (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 19, 2012 15:18 |  #426

solesupremebeing wrote in post #14114459 (external link)

why defend a camera that you dont even own? If what he says bothers you, leave the thread ...

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Tonyz
223 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:19 |  #427
bannedPermanent ban

Graduated ND filter?

Are you serious or just joking?

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 19, 2012 15:19 |  #428

solesupremebeing wrote in post #14114472 (external link)
Oh right, so you're talking about a VERY specific set of circumstances that 99% of photographers won't encounter?

*Very* specific?

Most horizons I've come across aren't flat.

solesupremebeing
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:20 |  #429

Ricku wrote in post #14114491 (external link)
Why are you telling me to do something that I am already doing? I am switching to Nikon, but that doesn't stop me from correcting other people when they are wrong. :)

You've pointed out that the MIII has banding, that's all you need to do. We know, now we can decide on our own whether we feel it's an issue, and decide whether to buy a MIII regardless of it, or to buy another camera. People are not "wrong" if they feel it's not an issue for them and their photography.

Ivann
THREAD ­ STARTER
244 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:20 |  #430
bannedPermanent ban

Shadowblade wrote in post #14114513 (external link)
*Very* specific?

Give the guy a break. Perhaps he lives on a very tiny and flat island in the middle of nowhere. :lol:

solesupremebeing
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:22 |  #431

Shadowblade wrote in post #14114513 (external link)
*Very* specific?

One of the examples that you posted had a flat horizon.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,806 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 19, 2012 15:26 |  #432

solesupremebeing wrote in post #14114534 (external link)
One of the examples that you posted had a flat horizon.

Which one? Out of the ones I posted as examples of situations where pattern noise could not be eliminated by filters or multiple exposures (rather than examples of other things), one was a vineyard shot, the other a shot of a sailing boat.

The vineyard shot had rows of vines coming up on each side, so the 'horizon' was definitely not flat. The boat shot had a a flat transition between sky and sea, but a big boat sticking out in the middle of it - definitely not a linear transition zone.

solesupremebeing
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:33 |  #433

J_TULLAR wrote in post #14114509 (external link)
why defend a camera that you dont even own? If what he says bothers you, leave the thread ...

I'm sorry, where am I defending the camera? I haven't, so please read before commenting.

I'm merely suggesting that there's no point in complaining about a particular camera when there's many others to choose from. Nobody is forcing you to buy any one camera, just choose the one that's right for you.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 19, 2012 15:36 |  #434

solesupremebeing wrote in post #14114323 (external link)
Wow, just wow. I sometimes wonder why I bother with online forums. Over here on the Canon forum you have people thinking that banding on the 5D MIII is the end of their world, whilst over on the Nikon forum moire patterns on the D800E are the end of theirs. No camera is perfect, each one has their pros and cons, and you as a photographer should know how to work around those.

The whole idea by having an AA filter is to avoid moire. So by implication - people buying a camera without AA filter does it because they do care more about resolution than moire. Or because they didn't think in the first place.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

solesupremebeing
158 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:41 |  #435

pwm2 wrote in post #14114614 (external link)
The whole idea by having an AA filter is to avoid moire. So by implication - people buying a camera without AA filter does it because they do care more about resolution than moire. Or because they didn't think in the first place.

Well, tell that to them. People just seem to love complaining, as proven in here.

You even suggest the obvious solution of buying a different camera, and they complain at that as well, it's really quite amusing.

sponsored links

65,149 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 5D3 has banding issues. (pattern noise)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.