Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Mar 2012 (Thursday) 22:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2012 14:33 |  #3796

x_tan wrote in post #14109945 (external link)
Canon EOS 5D Mark III And Lenses And AF Points from Canon HK (external link)

Print it out as the page might disappear later...

Is this what you guys are looking for? ^ http://www.canon.com.h​k …tProductTag.do?​tagID=4538 (external link)

vipergts831 wrote in post #14114041 (external link)
GMCPhotographics could you plot out the spread of the 15 point and 9 point options of the 5dmkIII on the charts below? This would help us understand the spread. Thanks!

From DP Review:

F2.8 or brighter

IMAGE NOT FOUND
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

F2.8 - F4

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

F5.6 or brighter

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #14114059 (external link)
If you're replying to me and ben, that's not quite what we were talking about. When you go into 15-point or 9-point selection modes, which of the points are selectable? Those are the diagrams we're wondering about.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 19, 2012 16:29 |  #3797

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14114261 (external link)
Is this what you guys are looking for? ^

For those who are not familiar with cameras that have a large number of AF points, it is common for such cameras to include a custom function that makes most of those points non-selectable. If you often use single AF points in either corner and rarely use AF points in between then it's nice to be able to step through only a couple points rather than slogging through 10 or 15 points that you never use.

The user manual says that the 5DmkIII allows for the number of selectable points to be reduced to 15 or nine. What the user manual does not tell us is which 15 (or 9) points those are. If the 9 points are the center point, the extreme center points up, down, left and right from the center, and then the four extreme corners then that would be a very useful pattern for most people. If the 9 points are all clustered in the center then fewer people will find it useful.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 19, 2012 16:37 |  #3798

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #14114069 (external link)
The outer points are at or slightly beyond the rule of thirds intersections. Realistically how often does one need to focus on something further out than that?

I've found it's not that uncommon at all, actually.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

trale
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 19, 2012 17:01 |  #3799

kcbrown wrote in post #14114928 (external link)
I've found it's not that uncommon at all, actually.

It's just one of the inherent limitations of all phase detect AF systems that all the focusing must be confined near the center of the frame. I forgot what exactly the details of that is.

A completely different AF technology will need to be used/developed if you want AF further out. We have one alternative for now - contrast detect AF, which has its inherent limitation of being a lot slower.

TheDeepThought42
63 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 19, 2012 17:06 |  #3800

ilumo wrote in post #14114099 (external link)
you think that's disappointing? look at Nikons. Only the center 20% are cross types.

QUOTED IMAGE

I think that canon has really done a good job with expanding the AF points this time around. I can't wait to shoot without having to focus-recompose.

Does anyone know how the spread of the Canon AF points compares to the Nikon AF? ie, can someone do an overlay of the two to see the difference of how each one spreads?

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 19, 2012 17:24 |  #3801

trale wrote in post #14115032 (external link)
It's just one of the inherent limitations of all phase detect AF systems that all the focusing must be confined near the center of the frame. I forgot what exactly the details of that is.

Something about how different wavelengths (colors) of light are bent different amounts, with differences being more pronounced around the edges of the lens. I think. Could be completely wrong.

A completely different AF technology will need to be used/developed if you want AF further out. We have one alternative for now - contrast detect AF, which has its inherent limitation of being a lot slower.

CDAF is only "a lot" slower in continuous AF. Single shot AF is very fast with current gen CDAF. For work where AF performance is critical regardless of light conditions and moving subjects, PDAF is still king, but if you haven't tried a fast focusing CDAF camera you'd be surprised by just how quick it is.

trale
46 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 19, 2012 18:27 |  #3802

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #14115121 (external link)
Something about how different wavelengths (colors) of light are bent different amounts, with differences being more pronounced around the edges of the lens. I think. Could be completely wrong.

CDAF is only "a lot" slower in continuous AF. Single shot AF is very fast with current gen CDAF. For work where AF performance is critical regardless of light conditions and moving subjects, PDAF is still king, but if you haven't tried a fast focusing CDAF camera you'd be surprised by just how quick it is.

Can you point out some examples of current cameras with the fastest CDAF available today? I'll look them up.

I know this is definitely one feature that canon lags behind its competitors (G1X for example). Makes me wonder why that is the case.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2012 18:29 |  #3803

Right now Oly is making that claim with the OM-D.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

GMCPhotographics
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 19, 2012 18:54 |  #3804

vipergts831 wrote in post #14114041 (external link)
GMCPhotographics could you plot out the spread of the 15 point and 9 point options of the 5dmkIII on the charts below? This would help us understand the spread. Thanks!

Sure no probs:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Regards, Gareth Cooper GMCPhotographics
"If youre happy and honest and fulfilled in what you do, then youÒ’re having a successful life" (Ben Elton)
Gear List GMCPhotographics (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 19, 2012 19:20 |  #3805

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #14115569 (external link)
Sure no probs:

Much obliged! But you didn't use the diagram with all the cross-type points plotted out. You made me scroll all the way back up the page!

Man, I'm lazy :lol:

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 19, 2012 19:22 |  #3806

trale wrote in post #14115440 (external link)
Can you point out some examples of current cameras with the fastest CDAF available today? I'll look them up.

I know this is definitely one feature that canon lags behind its competitors (G1X for example). Makes me wonder why that is the case.

About to send you a PM so as not to get the thread too off track. The mods be itchy already ;)

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 19, 2012 19:22 as a reply to  @ Yohan Pamudji's post |  #3807

First video comparison:

http://vimeo.com/38652​476 (external link)

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Mar 19, 2012 19:24 |  #3808

GMCPhotographics wrote in post #14115569 (external link)
Sure no probs:

Thanks. The 15 point layout looks like what I would choose.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 19, 2012 19:26 |  #3809

krb wrote in post #14115731 (external link)
Thanks. The 15 point layout looks like what I would choose.

Looks like the middle rows aren't crosstype if I am seeing things correctly.
The 9 pt layout on the other hand contains all crosstypes right?

Saxi
Goldmember
2,781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 19, 2012 19:29 |  #3810

Mike55 wrote in post #14115721 (external link)
First video comparison:

http://vimeo.com/38652​476 (external link)

Some of it does seem like the 5d II was better, but some looked like the 5d III was better, nothing dramatic though, especially at 12,800 I was surprised how well the 5D II did in comparison. I hope I will have mine this week and I will know what I think for sure.

5D III, 24-105mm f/4 L, 135mm f/2 L, 70-200mm f/4 IS L, 580EX II
Full Gear List
Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links

482,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 5D Mark III Announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.