Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Mar 2012 (Sunday) 19:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cant find Mola Setti 28". Why?

invincible569
236 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 18, 2012 19:02 |  #1

I cant seem to find the Mola Setti 28" "Beauty Dish" Soft Lite Reflector (White). I have read its been out of stock for a while. Why? Would like to purchase this dish. I have been using the Elinchrom softboxes but getting tired of the windy environments. Ive already dropped the Rotalux once with a 600rx because of the wind straight to concrete. Not very happy when this happened, but everything is ok.

sponsored links
K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 18, 2012 21:10 |  #2

Mola is a pretty small company and it's not usual for them to be out of stock for a few weeks. Adorama doesn't have them in stock but they're trying to sell 2 of the Dynalite version on ebay. That's a sign they've been sitting on the warehouse shelf too long.

What makes you think the wind isn't going to blow over a Setti ?

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 18, 2012 21:10 |  #3

Why not use sand bag? With nice steel stand, wind is lot less of an issue.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 19, 2012 13:01 |  #4

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't order the satin silver version of the Setti. I waited over 2 months for that. Actually, it might have been even longer. I don't remember. Apparently it takes twice as long to finish the inside of the satin silver setti than the others. In any case, the produce units in batches and ship them out to B&H, Adorama, and others, and they just fill them in the order in which they were received. I had to use "plan B" a couple of times when I was waiting for mine.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

turbodude
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 19, 2012 18:50 |  #5

sdipirro wrote in post #14113779 (external link)
Consider yourself lucky that you didn't order the satin silver version of the Setti. I waited over 2 months for that. Actually, it might have been even longer. I don't remember. Apparently it takes twice as long to finish the inside of the satin silver setti than the others. In any case, the produce units in batches and ship them out to B&H, Adorama, and others, and they just fill them in the order in which they were received. I had to use "plan B" a couple of times when I was waiting for mine.

ive been trying to buy one for months :(

My Twitter: http://twitter.com/pow​ersimagery (external link)
My Blog:
http://powersimagery.c​om/blog (external link)

My Website: www.powersimagery.com (external link)
My Job: Vegas Magazine (external link) | Retna LTD (external link) | Tao/Lavo Las Vegas (external link) | Espn.com (external link) | UFC (external link)
My Gear:Gear List

invincible569
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 19, 2012 19:33 |  #6

wow. thats crazy.

z-monster
95 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 19, 2012 20:20 |  #7

invincible569 wrote in post #14109239 (external link)
Ive already dropped the Rotalux once with a 600rx because of the wind straight to concrete. Not very happy when this happened, but everything is ok.

Just be sure to get/use sand bags when you eventually do get a Mola. Even a dish will catch the wind and when it hits concrete...it most certainly is not a pretty sight to behold.

My feedback

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 19, 2012 20:38 |  #8

turbodude wrote in post #14115550 (external link)

Well, if you haven't gotten not yet, then you might as well forget about it now unless you can find one used. Most of the satin silver Molas have been discontinued. B&H had the satin silver Setti in stock a couple of times the last couple of months but I procrastinated getting one. Now it's too late. :(

...Leo

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 19, 2012 23:16 |  #9

PacAce wrote in post #14116160 (external link)
Most of the satin silver Molas have been discontinued.

Most ?

What's your source for this information ?

jdear
168 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 19, 2012 23:51 as a reply to  @ K.C.'s post |  #10

It's true, the satin silver finish is finished. Only white now or the polished silver finish of the beamm. The satin silver was in a lot less demand. About 1:100 units sold silver : white.basically the silver was created due to the profoto European distributor demand.

So I now really regret selling my silver setti to my friend ;)

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 20, 2012 01:08 |  #11

sdipirro wrote in post #14113779 (external link)

Yeah, but then you wouldn't have the sweet silver setti (mine is silver, and I love it that way) :D

turbodude wrote in post #14115550 (external link)

I just had went ahead and bought one (knowing it was on backorder) and I had one 2 weeks later. I think that the demand for Molas is high enough, that B&H/Adorama never really keeps any in stock, as they're shipped out to the customer right away. Certainly not based on any knowledge/facts, but moreso because I can't remember the last time I've seen a setti in stock.

jdear wrote in post #14117331 (external link)
It's true, the satin silver finish is finished. Only white now or the polished silver finish of the beamm. The satin silver was in a lot less demand. About 1:100 units sold silver : white.basically the silver was created due to the profoto European distributor demand.

So I now really regret selling my silver setti to my friend ;)

Wow. I'm amazed that they beamm is more popular than the satin silver (come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen an image lit by a beamm...). I've got a silver setti, and I love it that way. If I were to get a mantti, I'd want that in silver too. It's really too bad that they've killed that option.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 20, 2012 02:43 |  #12

Cathpah what is it you like so much about the satin silver ?

Have you ever shot with the white Mantti ?

I the Demi, Euro and Mantti, all in white. I've been shooting with them for many years.

jdear
168 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 20, 2012 06:03 as a reply to  @ K.C.'s post |  #13

The Beamm isn't more popular but from a manuf point it's one dish to make vs 4 in the satin silver (Demi, Setti, euro and mantti).

I have the white mantti, white Demi and the shiny Beamm. The Setti I had in satin silver, it's possibly the only silver one I'd miss. The silver finish seems to snap up the deeper profile of the Setti that much more.

I think it's a good decision, means focus can be on what is selling and supply can better match demand - I.e. we should see less out of stock in the future.

Now you can also get grids for the whole mola range, including the mantti, losing the slight contrast increase of the silver interior you can almost get back with a grid if that makes any sense.

One of these days I'll have proper images from the Beamm to showcase.

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 20, 2012 10:26 |  #14

K.C. wrote in post #14117792 (external link)
Cathpah what is it you like so much about the satin silver ?

Have you ever shot with the white Mantti ?

I the Demi, Euro and Mantti, all in white. I've been shooting with them for many years.

I like the specular highlights I get with the silver, and the added punch in contrast. This isn't just true with molas, but most of the modifiers that I use are silver-lined as well for the same reason.

Sadly, I've never shot with a Mantti...but I'd think the silver would retain the high contrast, and coming from a larger source, that could be stunning.

jdear wrote in post #14118169 (external link)
The Beamm isn't more popular but from a manuf point it's one dish to make vs 4 in the satin silver (Demi, Setti, euro and mantti).

I have the white mantti, white Demi and the shiny Beamm. The Setti I had in satin silver, it's possibly the only silver one I'd miss. The silver finish seems to snap up the deeper profile of the Setti that much more.

I think it's a good decision, means focus can be on what is selling and supply can better match demand - I.e. we should see less out of stock in the future.

Now you can also get grids for the whole mola range, including the mantti, losing the slight contrast increase of the silver interior you can almost get back with a grid if that makes any sense.

One of these days I'll have proper images from the Beamm to showcase.

Well hurry up with those Beamm photos! I'm very much intrigued with that modifier.

I've got the white and black grids for my demi, and the black grid for my setti is in the mail. :D

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 20, 2012 11:23 |  #15

K.C. wrote in post #14117180 (external link)
Most ?

What's your source for this information ?

I was going to say "all" but B&H still has (or did as of a day or two ago) the satin silver Demi in stock.

But I got the info directly from Mola. I asked them about it and they said they discontinued the satin silver line of their products because it wasn't selling as well as they had hoped. Seems like it was discontinued once before and brought back due to demand so they said they may do the same again if the demand for the satin silver is there in the future.

...Leo

sponsored links

8,241 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cant find Mola Setti 28". Why?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.