Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Mar 2012 (Monday) 13:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why Canon for landscape

JimAndersson
598 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2012 13:51 |  #1

This is simply because of curiousity.

Why did YOU opt for Canon? And by 'you' I mean you who primarily photograph landscapes and other things which mostly means using a tripod and printing big. This is not a thread suggesting some other brand is better (so please keep the 'Canon kicks ass' and 'D800e is better' comments to yourself).

sponsored links
Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 19, 2012 13:57 |  #2

Because Canon was the first p&s I used. I got used to the settings, menus and ergonomics. I've worked with Nikons and Fuji S5's at work, but still can't stand their menus and settings. Canon is what I am used to.

scapevision.carbonmade​.com (external link) and on Flickr (external link)
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just take pictures"

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 19, 2012 13:58 |  #3

I can throw out some thoughts...

1. I suspect many people, including myself, are invested in a system (aka I got a crap ton of lenses for it) and changing systems just to keep up with which brand is slightly better is not really worth the effort and loss of money everytime you have to sell off and rebuy.

2. Canon's first FF came out in 2002. The 5Dc came out in 2005 and it's attractive cost prolly attracted a lot of landscape photogs. Nikon's first one came out in 2007. The D700 being the first affordable one didn't come out until 2008.

3. Canon has historically had a resolution advantage over Nikon. Well... Nikon has the 3Dx but it is rather expensive compared to the 5D2 which has almost as much resolution. Landscape folks love resolution.

Lets see what other people think now...

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

JimAndersson
THREAD ­ STARTER
598 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2012 14:31 |  #4

For me it was by chance. I had been looking at the Nikon D300 for some time, moving from FourThirds. I wanted a good allround camera body. Canon released the 7D and I jumped for it. It was later I fell in love with photographing from a tripod.

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 19, 2012 14:48 |  #5

I used to shoot with film, but when I moved to digital I had a Konika Minolta DiMage. When I jumped into DSLR's I read review after review. I went and looked at and handled different offerings from Nikon and Canon. My son had brought a Nikon so I was leaning that way, but in the end the Canon won the day. It just seemed to fit me better and as Will says, I was investing in a system and I preferred the Canon lens line up over the Nikon. Since then I have gone through different bodies and many lenses and now use a 5D2. My son has a new Nikon D7000 now and while I think it is a good camera and I use it every so often, I feel at home with Canon so would not change anytime soon, if at all. I am a bit disappointed the 5D3 has come in so expensive in comparison with the D800, but I don't even want a 5D3 so it is a moot point.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 19, 2012 14:53 |  #6

Why NOT?

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

Scapevision
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:21 |  #7

oh and I forgot to mention one important thing: Canon - because you can

scapevision.carbonmade​.com (external link) and on Flickr (external link)
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just take pictures"

Dinzdale40
252 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 19, 2012 15:23 |  #8

one reason if i was a landscape photographer would be because of Canon's TS-E offerings. From what i've seen they are top notch.

-Daniel

5DMk3

XterraJohn
513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 19, 2012 15:42 |  #9

themadman wrote in post #14114085 (external link)
I can throw out some thoughts...

Well... Nikon has the 3Dx but it is rather expensive compared to the 5D2 which has almost as much resolution. Landscape folks love resolution.

Of course, now Nikon has the D800...

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 19, 2012 15:46 |  #10

easy.

when you want to shoot something, anything, the most effective weapon is always a CANON.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

JimAndersson
THREAD ­ STARTER
598 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 19, 2012 16:41 |  #11

In swedish we've got 'Kan nån' kan Canon'. It's pronounced 'cun non cun Canon' and translates to 'If someone can, Canon can.'

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,518 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 19, 2012 16:56 |  #12

Dinzdale40 wrote in post #14114540 (external link)
one reason if i was a landscape photographer would be because of Canon's TS-E offerings. From what i've seen they are top notch.

I can confirm that! :) The TS-E 24mm is a stellar lens for landscapes and is a great reason for going with Canon for landscape photography. Like many, I've had a natural progression that initially started with my first Powershot 3mp camera to the 10mp xti to the 21mp 5D II.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 19, 2012 17:01 |  #13

I had used and loved the G7 for a few years and had purchased the 270 EX Speedlite. When I was trying to decide Canon VS Nikon, I thought I can at least use the Speedlite....

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Mar 19, 2012 17:09 |  #14

If I didn't have all this dang Canon stuff, I would probably get the D800(e) but I'll wait a while to see how Canon responds with a high MP FF to match - and then see how the deep shadow banding is :D:D:D

Actually, when the 5D2 came out and I tested the new TSE's I sold my 4x5!

My picture galleries (external link)

Bollan
635 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 19, 2012 21:02 |  #15

Color rendition in landscape photography.

My Gear
My Equestrian Gallery (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why Canon for landscape
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.