Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 02:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I have an L addiction - my crazy lens tale

bigfatdaddyo
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 20, 2012 02:04 |  #1

It all started a few years ago when I bought the 5DII with the kit 24-105L lens, having come up through the ranks of the film Canons, FTBn, F1n, AE1, and then the Digitals EOS 10D and 40D and all the standard EF lenses. One day, after being dissatisfied with the quality of my photos I decided to pull the trigger and buy a "real" camera and lens. I headed to my local Canon dealer and plugged down the $3500 for my first full frame camera and L lens.

After a while of shooting full frame with the good glass made me want to get a "good" telephoto, so I purchased the 70-200L IS f4 because the f2.8 was so much more money and after all I had just spent $3500 for my new rig. Boy was that 70-200 f4 lens sweet, I remember my first portraits from it, the bokeh and sharpness of the images, incredible. Then one day, I became disappointed in the lens in low light. What I now needed was a faster telephoto for low light, sports and portraits, so of course, I sold the f4 to offset the cost and picked up the newly released f2.8 IS II, which I like to call "The Beast". It's so fantastic wide open, but the weight is a killer, I often regreted selling the 70-200 f4. So, I cured my regrets along the way with the 70-300L, it lets me get some extra reach over 70-200 and reduced carry weight is fantastic. The reverse thread zoom is a little goofy but all in all, a good piece of glass and my two teenage daughters can stick it on their Rebels and it doesn't over whelm them like "The Beast" does on a little Rebel body with their little hands.

Shortly after this, things started to spiral out of control, I picked up the f1.4 35L and fell in love with the IQ of a prime lens. Naturally, I had to get a f2.8 100L to shoot macros and a lightweight portrait lens and it was so perfect that I thought had no reason to ever get the 85L. Along the way, I decided to get the 8-15L fisheye for some really cool shots that you want to take once in a blue moon. One day, after shooting with the 35L, I thought to myself, what if I had a little more width? Shortly thereafter, I ended up with the f1.4 24L and its IQ is as good as the 35. Well that 35L really got me going on the prime craze.

Next up came the f2 135L which by the way is sharp as a tack. That lens made me crave a really fast portrait lens, so I ponied up the dough and bought the "Baby Beast", you know by now.....the f1.2 85L. Man, is that pig a thing of beauty, it looks great mounted on the 5DII and feels so balanced on the camera. And and of course the Bokeh is well,.....what all other lenses desire to be when they grow up. After shooting with the "Baby Beast" made me want to get a really fast 50mm, so just the other day I picked up the f1.2 50L, and no surprise it too has incredible IQ and I just know it is going to be my street shooting favorite.

By now you must think I am made of money, not so....I just decided one day, that life is just too short to take photos with cropped sensors and crappy glass. I really regretted not doing it sooner, I lost many years of pleasure to mediocre equipment. Why not buy what you really deserve, find a way and buy the best, after all "I am worth it".

By the way, I got my eye on that new 24-70.....and of course the new 5DIII because the autofocus drives me nuts on the 5D II. Well, that's my story and I just thought I would share it with my fellow photographers. Cheers,

sponsored links
SOX ­ 404
574 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 20, 2012 02:31 |  #2

I can only tell you that it's normal.... :P
Btw, have you thought about getting a 8-15? It's a great fun lens.

AJ
1 x Canon 5DSR | 2 x Canon 5D2 | 8-15L | 16-35L | 17-40L (dead) | 50L | 85L | 100L | 135L | 180L | 70-200 2.8L IS
Aquatica UW Housing | INON Z240 | Ikelite DS-161 | Sola 600 | 2 x Sola 2000
My Flickr  (external link)

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 20, 2012 02:37 |  #3

Another sad tale of that dreaded disease G.A.S. There is no cure you know, only intensive therapy will help ease your pain slightly. Your bank account and wife are the ones who sit on the sidelines and suffer in silence.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

questionmarc
835 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 20, 2012 02:46 |  #4

i just started D= i just got my second L today and honestly - i think more about getting new gear than taking photos... well until the weather gets warmer here that is

60D, 5DmkIII, 50 f1.8
Facebook Page (external link)
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sunking39
403 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 20, 2012 03:35 |  #5

Bigfatdaddyo,
Life is too short and you are worth more than all the lenses in the world but people have to be prudent with their money. You don't want to wake up one rainy day and find out you have no money for an emergencey.
But if you have the money and savings, and more extra money to share with your daughters and wife, go ahead and enjoy your lenses.

Do you have credit card debt.

I feel like Suze Orman.

OH, and that was a very fun story.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 20, 2012 04:24 |  #6

You're definately not Robinson Crusoe with this illness.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

NavyShrink
259 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 20, 2012 05:15 |  #7

Thanks for sharing, bigfatdaddyo!
You've validated what I'm going through.
You're right: life is too short to shoot w/ crap equipment.
Suze Orman and her ilk suck all the joy out of life. You can't take it with you.

5DII x2 | 7D | 17-40L | 35L | Σ 50 | 85L | 135L | 70-200L IS II | Fuji X100

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,665 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 20, 2012 05:27 |  #8

L.J.G. wrote in post #14117775 (external link)
Another sad tale of that dreaded disease G.A.S. There is no cure you know, only intensive therapy will help ease your pain slightly. Your bank account and wife are the ones who sit on the sidelines and suffer in silence.

+1
A man gotta do what a man gotta do
BTW there are no pockets in a shroud!

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 20, 2012 06:43 |  #9

bigfatdaddyo wrote in post #14117703 (external link)
Life is just too short to take photos with cropped sensors and crappy glass.

Plenty of amazing photos have been taken with crop sensor cameras and non-L glass. Enjoy your stuff, but please don't confuse gear collecting with photography.

Sorry to be annoyed here, but I'm tired of full-frame shooters calling all crop cameras and lenses like the 10-22, 15-85, and 85 1.8 "crap" because they aren't FF and/or they don't have the red ring around the end.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

tomholman
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 20, 2012 06:49 |  #10

I find myself caught in that same craze. Which lens do you end up using more, the 85L or the 50L. I have a prime on my target list and I am considering the 35L, 50L and 85L. I have the 70-200L IS f2.8 so I am leaning away from the 85L at the moment.

Tom
My Home (external link)
http://www.nthelight.c​om/ (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 20, 2012 06:54 |  #11

bigfatdaddyo wrote in post #14117703 (external link)
Shortly after this, things started to spiral out of control,
By now you must think I am made of money, not so....I just decided one day, that life is just too short to take photos with cropped sensors and crappy glass.

The first step is recognizing it's an addiction and if you're not using money from your retirement account or kid's education, etc. it probably won't do any harm. But remember, billions of people think their cell phone is perfectly fine as a camera and don't see a need to spend thousands on camera gear.
Are they the crazy ones?

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 20, 2012 08:37 |  #12

jrbdmb wrote in post #14118256 (external link)
Plenty of amazing photos have been taken with crop sensor cameras and non-L glass. Enjoy your stuff, but please don't confuse gear collecting with photography.

Sorry to be annoyed here, but I'm tired of full-frame shooters calling all crop cameras and lenses like the 10-22, 15-85, and 85 1.8 "crap" because aren't FF and/or they don't have the red ring around the end.

Yea, I mean I understand he was just trying to write a funny story, but I have never understood this website's obsession with the superiority of Full Frame cameras. I own a Full Frame Camera, I also own a APS-H, and APS-C camera. They are all tools, and at different times with different circumstances each one will be the best tool for the job. So no, life isn't too short for "cropped sensors." I find it funny that after preaching the full frame gospel to everyone you then go on to say the AF on your 5d2 "drives me nuts." Well the AF on my 1D3 and 7D don't "drive me nuts," and they are lowly crop bodies. Those terrible crop bodies and their inadequate depth of field give me just subpar pictures like this one: http://www.pbase.com …otography/image​/121955157 (external link)

I do think the people critising your spending habits are perhaps going a bit too far. As far as hobbies, or even investments go (okay maybe that is a stretch), L-glass isn't a bad bet. You can usually get 80-90% of your purchase price back even if you sell it the day after you buy it, even more if you buy used to start. Heck, if you hold on to a lens for five years or more, generally prices will have increased to the point where you can sell them at a profit from what you paid. These days even the bank wants to CHARGE you to store YOUR money.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 20, 2012 09:33 |  #13

report back when because of your addiction you're living in a cardboard box under an overpass...but in your shopping cart you've got almost every L lens Canon makes. You'll post that story from the local library, where you can use their free computers and restrooms to clean up. Then we'll help....maybe.

bigfatdaddyo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 20, 2012 10:44 |  #14

tomholman wrote in post #14118276 (external link)
I find myself caught in that same craze. Which lens do you end up using more, the 85L or the 50L. I have a prime on my target list and I am considering the 35L, 50L and 85L. I have the 70-200L IS f2.8 so I am leaning away from the 85L at the moment.

I just got the 50L and have only shot a little with it, I'm not sure which one will get more use, they are both very nice and the 50L is much lighter. I am guessing it may be the 50L, but you will want them both.

bigfatdaddyo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 20, 2012 10:51 |  #15

jrbdmb wrote in post #14118256 (external link)

Sorry to be annoyed here, but I'm tired of full-frame shooters calling all crop cameras and lenses like the 10-22, 15-85, and 85 1.8 "crap" because aren't FF and/or they don't have the red ring around the end.

I didn't want to offend anyone and call their equipment crap, crops are fine, heck my two girls each have one and take amazing photos with them and their stock lens, when they put the better glass on their cameras, they can tell right away with the IQ of what they shot, they both fight over the 35L as it is their favorite lens to shoot with on their Rebels. We all just want to take the best pictures we can, the camera is just the vehicle to capture the image.

sponsored links

6,574 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I have an L addiction - my crazy lens tale
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.