Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Mar 2012 (Saturday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is my 50D alright or something I am missing?

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 18, 2012 19:56 |  #16

I routinely shoot ISO 3200 (indoor sports) and prints look fine. Pixel peeping will drive you crazy. Double check settings as suggested above. Have you printed any of these? Underexposing then bringing it up in post can create noise issues. Try shooting raw to compare, make sure you aren't oversharpening.

Tim
Equipment

sponsored links
ejenner
Goldmember
3,792 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 18, 2012 20:11 as a reply to  @ Tim S's post |  #17

If I get what you are seeing, I think it is due to NR software. You could turn in-camera NR to low/off, or realize that you won't see it on a normal monitor or print any more than the noise before NR.

Or shoot raw and use more sophisticated NR algorithms.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 18, 2012 23:42 |  #18

samsen wrote in post #14106976 (external link)
Thanks a lot.

Any 50D owner, can you share with me if this a usual 50D condition on JPG?

Looks normal to me.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 18, 2012 23:47 |  #19

Tom Reichner wrote in post #14108171 (external link)
I shoot primarily with a 50D. I do not shoot at ISO 800 for this reason. Ever.

Tom,,, step out of your comfort zone. You'll surprised how well the 50D handles high ISO, especially if you nail the exposure and shoot in RAW.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

kethnguy
196 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 19, 2012 05:06 |  #20

yogestee wrote in post #14110929 (external link)
Tom,,, step out of your comfort zone. You'll surprised how well the 50D handles high ISO, especially if you nail the exposure and shoot in RAW.

i agree i've shoot 1600 and 3200 and it handles it pretty well if exposure is correct

Canon 50D Gripped || 24-105 F4 L || 430EX II

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,710 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 19, 2012 08:26 |  #21

yogestee wrote in post #14110929 (external link)

kethnguy wrote in post #14111791 (external link)
i agree i've shoot 1600 and 3200 and it handles it pretty well if exposure is correct

I have stepped out, many times. After repeated experiments at ISO 800 and higher, I decided the ugly grain simply wasn't worth it. Why take an image if I don't like the appearance of it?

More importantly, the 50D images taken at 800 ISO will always - repeat always - be rejected by the agencies I submit to.
If I just wanted a little 11x14 print of something like that, high ISOs would be fine, but I take images so that I can sell them, and grain is simply not acceptable to those who market my images. Using NR in post is not acceptable, either, as images will be rejected if NR has been applied.

Additionally, I really hate the look of grain, and even at 400 ISO my 50D images show some grain in the darkest, out of focus areas of an image. This is just ugly to me, and I do not like the way this looks when I view images on my monitor. If it is unappealing to me, it will be even more objectionable to my customers. For this reason, I try to shoot at the lowest possible ISO in any circumstance, and expose to the right to further eliminate grain in the dark OOF areas.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Andy ­ R
Goldmember
1,856 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 19, 2012 21:29 |  #22

you can shoot at 1600 and still get good images...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1197.photobuck​et.com …tPhotography/IM​G_9053.jpg (external link)

5Dii ~ 80D
Canon 14L ~ Canon 24-105L mkII ~ Canon 50 f1.8 STM ~ Canon 135L ~ Sigma 100-400 ~ Canon 1.4x mkII

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 20, 2012 00:29 |  #23

That looks normal.
Almost any concert/stage show photographe will tell you that red concert/stage lighting is one of the worst colours to shoot.

...and stop pixel peeping.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

h4ppydaze
Goldmember
1,329 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 20, 2012 04:37 |  #24

Tom Reichner wrote in post #14112312 (external link)
I have stepped out, many times. After repeated experiments at ISO 800 and higher, I decided the ugly grain simply wasn't worth it. Why take an image if I don't like the appearance of it?

More importantly, the 50D images taken at 800 ISO will always - repeat always - be rejected by the agencies I submit to.
If I just wanted a little 11x14 print of something like that, high ISOs would be fine, but I take images so that I can sell them, and grain is simply not acceptable to those who market my images. Using NR in post is not acceptable, either, as images will be rejected if NR has been applied.

Additionally, I really hate the look of grain, and even at 400 ISO my 50D images show some grain in the darkest, out of focus areas of an image. This is just ugly to me, and I do not like the way this looks when I view images on my monitor. If it is unappealing to me, it will be even more objectionable to my customers. For this reason, I try to shoot at the lowest possible ISO in any circumstance, and expose to the right to further eliminate grain in the dark OOF areas.

A good deal of professionals in sports/documentary/jou​rnalism/wedding+events don't mind the level of noise that the 50D makes at ISO 800... it is considered usable in most photo fields. Why don't you upgrade your camera? Obviously for your uses you need exceptional IQ, and you should have a body that delivers it to a higher ASA right?

jwp721
771 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 20, 2012 06:27 |  #25

.....If I just wanted a little 11x14 print

I don't think the 50D is the right camera for your needs. Amazing wildlife photography though.

OP- I think the noise you are seeing is fine. Everyone keeps mentioning that you should not underexpose and then try to push the exposure in postprocessing. Make it a habit to learn to read your histogram so that you do not have to push your exposures.

LarryM
228 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 20, 2012 12:48 |  #26

I seem to have the same problem. Canon said I need to process it in their software which I find very difficult.

1Ds Mk.III,50D w/ BG-E2n grip, ,28-135 IS USM,Canon 70-300 IS USM,Sigma 17-35 2.8-4 (82MM Version),550 EX Flash, ,
www.imagesbylarry.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …ges-by-Larry/127967073082 (external link)

Zigot
601 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 20, 2012 15:59 |  #27

Photos look normal to me.
Try shooting RAW + jpgL and see if you still have the same problem like other have suggested.

7D, 5Dii, 5Diii, 70-300L, 24-105L 70-200Lii, 135L, 85, Tammy 150-600, 430EXii, 550EX, 580EXii, Σ50, Σ105 Macro, Σ150 Macro, ΣEM-140, Σ1.4x, LensBaby 3G, White lightnings, Bowens. Gear - feedbacks

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 20, 2012 16:23 |  #28

I take images so that I can sell them, and grain is simply not acceptable to those who market my images. Using NR in post is not acceptable, either, as images will be rejected if NR has been applied.

Just curious about the part I highlighted above ... even if shooting with a 5D III or 1DX, I would think there are going to be situations where high ISO is required and noise is unavoidable. Why would the judicious use of NR be unacceptable?

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,710 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 20, 2012 17:05 |  #29

jrbdmb wrote in post #14121263 (external link)
Just curious about the part I highlighted above ... even if shooting with a 5D III or 1DX, I would think there are going to be situations where high ISO is required and noise is unavoidable. Why would the judicious use of NR be unacceptable?

Not exactly sure why. Many publishers will only accept completely unedited files. They have software that enables them to see if the photo has been edited or manipulated in any way. Many of them have their own graphics personnel, and prefer completely unedited files so that they can do any editing themselves.

Some stock agencies simply reply,
"Image Not Accepted.
Reason: use of noise reduction has been detected".

For many of them, if you can't get it right in the camera, they don't want it. Period.

For uses like photojournalism (or editorial use in general), they are not picky at all (that's why you often see such poor quality images in newspapers and news magazines).
But for anything even approaching fine art, the submission guidelines are much, much more stringent and demanding.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

pol024
167 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 20, 2012 17:21 |  #30

are those crops greater than 100%? I think you're good as long as you weren't going for pics of fingers and chins.

sponsored links

4,888 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is my 50D alright or something I am missing?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.