Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Mar 2012 (Tuesday) 02:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I think I have an L addiction - my crazy lens tale

bigfatdaddyo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 20, 2012 10:59 |  #16

Billginthekeys wrote in post #14118600 (external link)
Yea, I mean I understand he was just trying to write a funny story, but I have never understood this website's obsession with the superiority of Full Frame cameras. I own a Full Frame Camera, I also own a APS-H, and APS-C camera. They are all tools, and at different times with different circumstances each one will be the best tool for the job. So no, life isn't too short for "cropped sensors." I find it funny that after preaching the full frame gospel to everyone you then go on to say the AF on your 5d2 "drives me nuts." Well the AF on my 1D3 and 7D don't "drive me nuts," and they are lowly crop bodies. Those terrible crop bodies and their inadequate depth of field give me just subpar pictures like this one: http://www.pbase.com …otography/image​/121955157 (external link)

I do think the people critising your spending habits are perhaps going a bit too far. As far as hobbies, or even investments go (okay maybe that is a stretch), L-glass isn't a bad bet. You can usually get 80-90% of your purchase price back even if you sell it the day after you buy it, even more if you buy used to start. Heck, if you hold on to a lens for five years or more, generally prices will have increased to the point where you can sell them at a profit from what you paid. These days even the bank wants to CHARGE you to store YOUR money.

Great shot, I agree with you on the 7D, great camera and great auto focus to boot, can't wait for the new 5D to fix that issue, it does bug me when I shoot sports. You are right, cameras are just tools As for my spending habits, I don't have any debt but I take all my spare cash that I earn through my side business and it fuels the L addiction. Of course, it may seem like I have a few too many lenses but I justify it when I go out and shoot with my kids, we have 3 of us fighting over the lenses. Unfortunately, I aways end up carrying a majority of the weight, all that heavy glass ends up in my big bag.

sponsored links
drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 20, 2012 11:07 |  #17

I think we all want that new shinning toy. It's always tough to tell yourself no. I buy a lot of equipments too. Took me 8 years to get to where I am today. I bought 20D when it first came out. I didn't buy another camera until the 5D2 came out. When it comes to glasses, it's hard to resist. I bought and sold 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 17-40mm f/4L, 200mm f/2.8L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 18-135. In my bag I still have Zeiss 21mm Distagon, Zeiss 50mm Makro, 35mm f/1.4L, 135mm f/2L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 300mm f/4L IS. I don't really get much excited about new cameras but I do enjoy good glasses. The 135L is what started me off on most of my purchases. I think I am pretty close to being done with lenses purchase. I would like an 85L someday and that's about it.

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 20, 2012 11:17 |  #18

L.J.G. wrote in post #14117775 (external link)
Another sad tale of that dreaded disease G.A.S. There is no cure you know, only intensive therapy will help ease your pain slightly. Your bank account and wife are the ones who sit on the sidelines and suffer in silence.

bw!

It is tough to "just say No!" - I am getting there. Have sold a few items as of late and am trying to scale back a little more.

I look back at the images I took with my G-7 and find no fault with them. I marvel at the books filled with pictures from my T1i and think 'these are just so pretty' - but then I look at the pictures from my 5D Mark II and think WOW - it really was worth it. But for sure - I am very satisfied with the lens I own, and hoping the G.A.S. has subsided once and for all :rolleyes:

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 20, 2012 13:23 |  #19

SOX 404 wrote in post #14117759 (external link)
I can only tell you that it's normal.... :P
Btw, have you thought about getting a 8-15? It's a great fun lens.

Did you even read his story before you decided to post?

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

Foggiest
584 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 20, 2012 15:51 |  #20

jrbdmb wrote in post #14118256 (external link)
Plenty of amazing photos have been taken with crop sensor cameras and non-L glass. Enjoy your stuff, but please don't confuse gear collecting with photography.

Sorry to be annoyed here, but I'm tired of full-frame shooters calling all crop cameras and lenses like the 10-22, 15-85, and 85 1.8 "crap" because aren't FF and/or they don't have the red ring around the end.

Don't apologise , you are correct .
Was a crass bragging OP .
Although you forgot to mention "the beast" and from another thread "the big boy" .
OP is first poster to make my ignore list on this forum , and in record time for any forum too .

bigfatdaddyo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 20, 2012 17:00 |  #21

Foggiest wrote in post #14121077 (external link)
Don't apologise , you are correct .
Was a crass bragging OP .
Although you forgot to mention "the beast" and from another thread "the big boy" .
OP is first poster to make my ignore list on this forum , and in record time for any forum too .

Foggy you are clueless to call me a crass bragging poster, you don't know me from Adam. I was just sharing my story, not bragging. I stop by from time to time and read the forum. If I was a bragger, I would have many more posts. I'm sure there are a few other folks like me that can find some comfort knowing that we are not alone and have gone through the steps. My point of the post was to share my experience and that path I traveled, not to make others envoy my equipment, that is just childish.

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 20, 2012 19:05 |  #22

Would buying 6 "L"s in less than 60 days count as "L" disease? Fortunately(?), I ran out of tax refund, bonus, and retroactive pay to continue.

Like Bigfatdaddyo, I started in 35mm and acquired a number of lenses, then played around with point-and-shoot Canon G-series for about 10 years before I decided it was time to start taking some "real" pictures again. So I picked up a 30D and 2 kit lenses. I got some nice pix but wanted better. So it was off to L-land it was, along with a new 60D. I'm very satisfied with the results (except for my own screwups).

Maybe I'll pick up a 5D3 with next years tax refund???

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

Farley121
75 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 20, 2012 19:51 as a reply to  @ bratkinson's post |  #23

Never mind all the bickering. just send me your extra L's so I may begin helping you all with your disease! :)

wrxrocks
410 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 20, 2012 21:55 |  #24

Been there done that and more to come. OP and many of us are having this illness. Now I can smell 5d iii or 1dx with 24-70 ii. No body can cure us.

50D with ef 16-35ii, ef 24-105L f4 IS, my new lover 70-200L f2.8 IS ii, 35L f1.4, EF 85L F1.2 mark ii, 400L F5.6

shoenberg3
466 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 21, 2012 00:45 |  #25

the only thing that comes to mind is -- what job do you have that allows you to purchase all these gear with such abandon?

Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> shoenberg3 | Redbubble (external link)

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 21, 2012 06:50 |  #26

@bigfatdaddyyo do u shoot any video damn that's a lot of gear how much of that gear
Do u really use?

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

bigfatdaddyo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 21, 2012 11:29 |  #27

pkilla wrote in post #14124711 (external link)
@bigfatdaddyyo do u shoot any video damn that's a lot of gear how much of that gear
Do u really use?

I have shot video with the 24-105, 35 and the 70-200, I tried some sample video with the 85, but was picking up some weird noise from the camera mic, normally I use an external one, I have been meaning to check out the cause. I am guessing the 50 will be my standard video lens. But, mostly I just shoot people and events all for fun. Both my kids do school sports and events so I am always shooting that kind of stuff. I shoot all the kids on the teams so their parents are very appreciative of getting some quality photos back after an event , I guess I could sell the shots but I do it as a hobby. Surprisingly they all get used, the one that has the least amount of shots is the 8-15, but it still gets a shot here and there because it's so unique.

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 21, 2012 11:36 |  #28

bigfatdaddyo wrote in post #14125968 (external link)
I have shot video with the 24-105, 35 and the 70-200, I tried some sample video with the 85, but was picking up some weird noise from the camera mic, normally I use an external one, I have been meaning to check out the cause. I am guessing the 50 will be my standard video lens. But, mostly I just shoot people and events all for fun. Both my kids do school sports and events so I am always shooting that kind of stuff. I shoot all the kids on the teams so their parents are very appreciative of getting some quality photos back after an event , I guess I could sell the shots but I do it as a hobby. Surprisingly they all get used, the one that has the least amount of shots is the 8-15, but it still gets a shot here and there because it's so unique.

Nice!!!!

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

Cravi
79 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 21, 2012 13:20 |  #29

Don't worry fella.. we are all cursed. I was very happy and felt like a professional photographer with my T1i before I came to POTN. Then everything changed. Bought around $15000 worth of gear in the matter of a year and still thinking about 24-70 II and 5d3. Let me tell you a secret: I haven't used a couple of my Ls so far apart from the test shots when they arrived

Gripped 5D2, bunch of Ls and Speedlites

jeaniulani
79 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 21, 2012 20:30 |  #30

I totally relate. Idk why but the red ring on the L series lenses calls to me!! haha

Jean | Canon 5D Mark III + Grip | 5D Mark II + Grip
24-70 f /2.8 L | 16-35 f /2.8 L IS II| 70-200 f /2.8 L IS II | 135 f /2 L | 85 f /1.8 | 50 f /1.4 | 100 f /2.8 L IS
Canon Extender EF 2x III (Tele Extender) - U.S.A. | 580EX II | 580EX
Gallery: http://www.whatjeanlik​esphotography.com (external link) Blog: http://www.whatjeanlik​es.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,782 views & 0 likes for this thread
I think I have an L addiction - my crazy lens tale
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.